mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
what about the sorby/preston thing last year, that was dirty riding and not just on one occasion but for the whole race, or the walker/preston thing where walker "intentionally" put preston into the finish line scaffolding, that was very dangerous!!and what did they get maybe 1000-2000 fine!!come on AMA, you're making a mockery out of this sport, they're like the big school yard bully that does what they please to the people they don't like. 10pts out of a possible 25pts. for the race, they take away over a third of a race from k-dub!!

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by Patman
I just watched it and then slow motion replayed the incidents a few times. DV was pushing Kevin out there is no doubt so he shut if down in that corner. The 180 degree turn where Kevin took out the Cobra had the perfect angle on it and you can see Kevin lands about 1/3 of the way into the corner. To me he had committed at the jump and there wasn't much he could do about it. I suspect DV thought he could beat him out of the corner but you can also tell he didn't see or hear it coming because he never looked until he saw the red Honda plastic on his left. I don't ever recall Kevin being an aggressive rider and doung much bumping & rubbing. I just read the link above and his explination seems to explain it very well. He did have a very good chance of getting injured or going down so I don't think intentially wanted to send DV sailing. Then again DV has always been a bit more towards to RC scale of rough riding so I am not going to shed any tears for him on it.

If the AMA addressed it prior to the race covering what the possible fine for that type of riding would be I think the 10 point penalty would be acceptable. Since they did not have a plan I think they should not dock him the points and say to all the riders that from here on out this is what will happen if we determine it was overly aggressive. Making the rules up as they go allong seems to be what the AMA is good at though so who knows maybe they will have Okie dock me 10 posts for this post :laugh:

I haven't seen the coverage (I listened to the webcast), but I pretty much agree with Patman on this. There are always some aggressive moves during the season. If the AMA felt it was getting worse then they should have made the ruling at the beginning of the season for all to know. If they want to implement points docking then they should have given KDub a warning and nformed all riders that as of the next race, points docking will be implemented. Personally though I think it's a good idea. Beats losing all points by being disqualified. The hard part is determing what is deliberate and what is accidental.

I can understand where KDub is coming from, but you can't just take any line assuming the rider in front will get out of the way when/if he hears you coming. Making a clean pass on another rider takes a lot of skill. Hitting them and pushing them off the track does not. Kevin made a poor decision that benefitted himself at the expense of another rider. Even though I do believe it was accidental and deducting 10 points was harsh on this occasion; hopefully others will learn from it (Grant Langston, Mike Brown etc)

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
supposedly, all the riders were warned before the race.

but this will still get overturned on appeal. it has to. or racing is ruined from this day forward.

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
I have one question for you all. On every start, in the very first corner (on next weeks race). Are we going to see riders in a single file line, in 1st or 2nd gear :confused:

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
I agree the points thing is stupid. If they feel what Kdub did was intentional there should be a fine.. As far as everyone saying the Evans thing was worse,,, get a clue,, I have it on tape and rewatched it.. Evans bump of Langston was a love tap compared to how hard Kdub hit DV. And there was room outside of Evans if Langston had given way a little. Kdub left no room. But I have never seen Kdub ride to take out anyone and have to believe he miss judged the timing and thought he had plenty of time to block without taking DV out.

miko

Nov 26, 2003
Originally posted by Patman
I just watched it and then slow motion replayed the incidents a few times.

Somebody posted the following URL in rec.motorcycle.dirt:
<http://archive.dmxsradio.com/roots/DV.mpg>

That was quite a hit. I'm glad neither of them got hurt. Looks like DV
didn't anticipate the move and t-boned KW at full throttle.

miko.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Originally posted by bh
Isn't that the first supercross win for a production 4-stroke bike in the 250 class?
Doug Henry won on a thumper back in 1997. It was the last race of the season in Vegas, and he won it on a YZ400. Remember those? Nathan won a race last year on a CRF450 also.

WideOpen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 21, 2000
131544-dvkdub.jpg

John madden breaks it down :)

it looks like a takeout move to me, he didnt even turn until he hit DV.

also look at DV's head, he didnt even see it coming!

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
all the same, they were riding on a untechnical tight supercross that was with the exception of a section or two virtually one line, you have got to expect some questionable passses on a track like that. sure k-dub came in to that corner a bit "hotter" than he should have but he is racing for well over a quarter million dollars worth of bonuses from honda, clear channel, AMA, etc. i would be pretty agressive if in the same position.

Walt Hollis

Apr 8, 2002
Went riding today so I missed the TV coverage. Anyone know if / when there will be a re-broadcast?

Who was the TV programming guru that puts motorcycle racing on TV on the day when most motorcyclists are not home? (My apology to any of my fellow riders burried under snow and freezing cold. It was 80 degrees in SoCal today!)

- Walt

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
Arent asumptions(sp) the mother of all *uck ups?? If KDub gets off it, riders will say i just made the assumption(sp) that the rider was going to take that other line and open another can of worms.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
It was a crushing blow...and I like it. His wife must have took his prozac away, started spraying testosterone on his cereal, etc.--because this is not the same guy. It's about time he started doing stuff like this. Nah, I don't think he cares about the penalties or whatever. He achieved his goal, which was to tell the remainder of the crowd "Don't Screw With Me--I'm not nice anymore."

As far as this crap of Reed making excuses--everything he said was true. That track was way too flat, wide, long and technically easy. Anything wrong with pointing that out?

mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
Originally posted by HiG4s
Evans bump of Langston was a love tap compared to how hard Kdub hit DV.

From what I recall seeing on the tube, it was DV that t-boned KW. Those guys are pro's and know that when you take the outside line in turn #3 in the first lap, you'd better be prepared to check up when someone puts the block pass on you. DV could have broken KDub's leg. Turn about's fair play, DV hammered KW in the turn before. And actually the Langston take out of Evans was far more blatent, You could see the bullseye on Evans's front end from pretty far away, Langston even had to wait for Lusk to clear to take the shot! If the AMA doesn't want these guys to race than they should set up badmitten tournaments instead.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Originally posted by nephron
As far as this crap of Reed making excuses--everything he said was true. That track was way too flat, wide, long and technically easy. Anything wrong with pointing that out?

I agree that the track was technically easy, but it's not the cause for loosing the race. It's not like Reed was put at a disadvantage by racing on the track. It was an equal field for all. The&nbsp;more challenging the course, the better chance Reed stands&nbsp;of winning because he is a better rider.

Like I said earlier, Reed should have acknowledged that he had a bad start in his heat race, that got him tied-up in traffic, that caused him to have to race a semi. Those extra laps take their toll in the main.

It just seemed to me that when he was asked about the race he complained about the course, not his performance.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
I am a K-dub fan but i would have to say after watching the video, that move was uncalled for. He jumped over the corner of the tuff block and i don't even think he would have made the turn if DV hadn't hit him. So I would have to say that move was too aggresive. DVs move in the previous corner is how it is done properly IMO. But now the 10 point deduction is rediculous. I think that maybe a fine for now but if those kind of moves become a pattern then a point deduction is in order.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
It's not like Reed was put at a disadvantage by racing on the track.

Yes, he was. It's analogous to Einstein participating with college kids in a fast calculous exam. He could readily lose because of the simplicity of it, but if it was essay involving The Uncertainty Principle.....no challenge.

The same thing has already happened to RC, and will happen to JBS.

Others will call it excuses. IMO, it's just what happened.

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
I kinda agree with CR, although I can't stand him, the track was one lined and not very good, the only good passing section was the whoops. I think this was the main reason for the incident between K-Dub and DV, based on history those two are the last two I would expect to try and crash someone.

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
Thank your 50 sponsers, give credit to the winner and get ready to win the next race, even if it's slippery or easy.

Just saw the 2 turn clip. Sweet. A little Allice Cooper "No More Mr. Nice Guy" in the background and it's perfect. Worth the 10 point dock? We'll see.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
To those that say&nbsp;Cobra12 didn't even see Windham - that is true.&nbsp; But&nbsp;DV sure as heck should have been looking for Windham after the pass&nbsp;he made&nbsp;in the previous corner.

After watching it on replay, I do feel Windham's move was rougher than Evans/Langston at Anaheim.&nbsp; They let Evans &amp; Langston sort it out on the track, and the AMA should let DV and Windham do the same.

The whole point penalty thing raises more questions than it answers.&nbsp; What if the&nbsp;overtly aggressive pass is in a heat race?&nbsp; What if the pass is for&nbsp;19th place instead of first? Is it still a 10 point penalty?&nbsp;

IMO, it adds to the drama for the&nbsp;for the season when the riders have their feuds.&nbsp; Now everyone is going to be afraid of making a tough pass because the AMA might give them season killing penallty.&nbsp;

BTW, that Cobra/Ferry dual in the first heat was sensational!&nbsp;

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I taped it and watched the coverage last night. I didn't see anything more than a block pass that get's made dozen's of times every weekend at your local track. It's exactly like the RC vs TP incident where TP is allowed to block pass and because RC is smart enough to shut it off so they don't crash it's all good but two turns later when TP ain't bright enough to shut it down it's "bad RC no soup for you!"

BigR

Dec 27, 2000
So assuming this point docking trend goes on... I'm assuming that we could see riders with a negative point standings? Which would imply all I would have to do is get my license, enter a race, not get any points, and I would be higher ranked.... Woo Hoo national number here I come... And I'm a Vet Novice...

treefinder

Sponsoring Member
Jun 4, 2002
BTW, that Cobra/Ferry dual in the first heat was sensational!

Agreed, that was awesome!. And it was a reminder that riders can pass eachother (repeatedly!) without contact.

KW may have decided he needed to send a message, but chosing the race at which the AMA warns everyone about contact was maybe not the wisest choice. He totally took DV out, and there is no way he'd have made the turn without using DV as a berm.

motodr9

Sep 1, 2003
DV should have been looking for KW to run it in on him after the previous corner. I don't think KW thought DV would hold it on after losing the line. The AMA ruling on this is unusual to say the least, this needs to be turned over. Windham is not a "dirty rider" this situation does not warrant a 10 point penalty. The AMA needs to work within the existing rules, not make them up as they go.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Frank,

Cobra and Ferry are teammates, so it is hard to expect everyone to race with the same level of decorum.&nbsp;

IMO, Windham would have made the corner if DV had backed off or not been there, but&nbsp;Windham would have lost some time.&nbsp; That's the appropriate penalty for choosing that line - you lose ground to everyone (except the guy you are trying to pass).&nbsp;

BTW, I don't follow road racing that closely, but I think the AMA has taken points from road riders before.&nbsp; I don't think its ever been done in MX or SX, though.

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
Where's KTM? Do they have anyone in the 125 class? I didn't see any bikes in the race. Is Langston all they got in the 250's. Lame.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom