Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Well my kid, William Renville, got picked for the KJSC(KTM Junior Supercross Challenge) in Phoenix.  It went something like this:

8:30AM  show up at BanK One Ballpark and get in the pits.  This is kinda cool because on previous years the pits don't open until 12:30. 

9:00AM  stand in line at the AMA Pro racing signup trailer.  Still pretty darn cool because it says pro rider signup.

9:30AM  Go to KTM truck and get our gear.  Kids get pants, boots, gloves, hat...  Dads get shirts and hat.

10:00am  They bring over the M2R helmet dealer and they hand out Grant Langston replica helmets!!!!!  I was freakin blown away.  Free helmets!  I guess they just signed the deal on the 10th to give them away.  So for anyone that was at Anaheim Round one you'll get a voucher in the mail.
    We squeeze a track walk in as well. My son bumps in to Grant Langston, Bubba Stewart, and Travis Pastrana and gets his new helmet autographed.  Also Jaime Little from Mini Warriors stops by and talks to the kids.

2:15 First practice.  Bikes are set p for the clutch to hit way early and the track is short with only one straight to see topend.  Still fun.  Track was hard to walk and now they are riding it.

3:15pm  Kid line up and get their own autograph signing party.  They sat their signing autographs for close to 2 hours.  They were so excited about signing autographs.  What was funny was my kid is in second grade and does not know cursive.  His teacher took the time to teach him cursive for his name just for this part.  He was eating it up.  The kids were comparing how many hats/helmets/shirts they got to sign.

5:00pm  Another practice.  seats are starting to fill up now and we got to practice in front of a 1/4 full arena.

7:00pm  Main show starts and they bring out the big dogs to introduce them.  They also bring out the KJSC participants and put them on the jumbotron waving their hats.

8:15pm  Big race.  Will takes off and the bike that had been running great all day has a huge bog off the gate.  Comes out of the gate 2nd to last.  once the bike picks up speed he starts flyin and passes a bunch of people to end up 8th.  There were only 2 kids clearing the finish line table and Will was one of them. The fastest lap times were from Cody Thomas our local fast guy but he wrecked out going for 1st place and ended up last.  The only name I recognized from local racing was Jacob Fox and he snagged a 3rd.

I cannot really put in to words how stinking cool this day was!!  I was wondering why kids would come from wAY out of state for this.  Now I know.  All I can say is you MUST sign up for all of them and get to one if you get drawn!   All of the KTM crew were FIRST CLASS! 

So thanks to KTM but mostly Kelly and Sel!!!!!!!!!

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
What a great thing for your son and yourself. Factory star for a day!

They canceled the mini-race at th elast salt lake race due to the mud. Hopefully I will ge tto see it this year!

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
Hey Jason how did you sign up for that?  I am going to SX at Indy with the kids, would love to experience the same.  Thanks.  Vytas

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Just walk in to a KTM dealer and ask for the KJSC application. There are a lot of hoops to jump through. height and weight min and max's. Teacher letter. But worth it for sure.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
As much as the kids are beaming I'll bet Dad was just as excited :yeehaw:
That has to be an awesome day and one both of you will remember forever- CONGRATULATIONS :thumb: to both of you

On a side note if you go to a SX try to get to the kids autograph session- I have for the last 3 years and it is great watching the kids and who knows some day you may pull out that poster and have the next McGrath or Carmicheal signed on it :cool:

teamgrn84

~SPONSOR~
Sep 3, 2001
my sonAustin was chosen for last years salt lake city ktm supercross challenge.  The kids were dissapointed that they didn't get to race.  They all got to meet Jeremy Mcgrath and my son and I got a no fear replica jersey signed by him,  All in all it was a good experience just rained too much to let the kids race.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by oldguy
As much as the kids are beaming I'll bet Dad was just as excited :yeehaw:
That has to be an awesome day and one both of you will remember forever- CONGRATULATIONS :thumb: to both of you 

Oh yeah Dad was really excited too.  I was almost in tears when they had Jaime Little and the Supercross doc talk to the kids.  They kept talking about having fun and they had the kids go and hug their parents and tell them thanks for getting the kids in the supercross challenge.   I would be a KTM buyer for life If I wasn't a Cobra dealer.  I guess once we get  to the 85's we'll switch over to KTM!

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
way to go jasle and little jasle. my daughter got to do the dallas round in '99. it was a wonderful experience. :thumb:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
What an awesome and memorable day!! :thumb: I hope you got some pictures! Too cool!

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
What a great promotion, I hope KTM gets a whole generation of customers out of this! I always get a kick out of that part of the program, thinking how cool the kids must feel! :)

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by nikki
What an awesome and memorable day!! :thumb: I hope you got some pictures! Too cool!

Got some cool pics.  During our track walk time Travis Pastrana was talking to a technician type guy at the start.  We left the track walk pack and waited nearby until he was finished talking.  Then we asked if we might snag a quick picture.  Travis was so cool!!!!  He told me to throw my son up on a haybale so they would be in the same frame and then gave a thumbs up.  Also i took a pic from the starting line staring up at 40,000people.  I really had to make sure I didn't scratch my butt or pick my nose or anything else similarily embarrasing.  ;)   I'll try to get my pics scanned.  The pics of MC signing my kids helmet didn't turn out very well.

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
What a great story Jason!! Congrats for you and William. :thumb:
A memory that will last forever, thats what its all about. :)

Top Bottom