LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
...and in our garage.  ;)

It started a couple years ago, at Dirtweek '00 or '01, I don't remember.  But Patman brought his Montesa up, and everyone took turns riding it, including myself and Dave.  Dave was immediately hooked, and decided that the next bike to get would be a trials bike.  Last year, one of our club members got a trials bike and started competing.  That just inflamed the itch that Dave had.

This spring, we sold my old '95 KDX200, that we'd kept around as a second/guest bike.  Proceeds from that sale, combined with a little refund from Uncle Sam, and we found a 2000 Beta Rev3 (270cc) at the Tryals Shop out here in NY.  It has been rebuilt, as the previous (young) owner didn't know about things like preventative maintenance.   His loss-- our gain. 

Dave brought the bike home yesterday evening after work.  He was already out riding around the yard on it when I got home!  A quick change of clothes, and I grabbed my camera and went out and shot a couple pictures.  I had some trouble starting the bike.  Ok, I couldn't start it at all!  I just couldn't get adjusted to the left-hand kick and the extra compression.  Guess I'm going to have to practice that some more. :think:

We practiced corners, and lofting the front wheel.  There was a small pile of rocks in the yard, and Dave set up a little ramp.  He was wishing he had the camera, as the first time I went over the rock pile I really nailed the wheel lift and nearly cleared the whole pile. :eek:   I sure wish the suspension on my KTM would glide over the rocks like that.  Smooth as silk on the trials bike. 

Now Dave's all ready to try his first trials event, and coincidentally enough we have one on the schedule this Sunday.  The nice thing about trials around here, the events are $10 to compete, start at noon, and are all located within 90 minutes of our house (many of them 30 minutes!) 

I asked Dave if he had anything to add to this ride report, and all he said was, "Wheee!".   Indeed. :)

Thanks to Patman for his many suggestions on bikes to look at, as well as getting us hooked up with the Tryals Shop (in our own back yard!)  And for getting us started with this whole trials nonsense in the first place! :cool:

Here's a pic of our latest addition:

Attachments

• tryalsbike.jpg
    tryalsbike.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 303

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
And another pic of Dave checking out the nice torque of the Beta:

Attachments

• tryalswheely.jpg
    tryalswheely.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 304

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Sweet! :cool: My plan for converting many of the Evil Empire's membership continues. :p

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Originally posted by Patman
Sweet! :cool: My plan for converting many of the Evil Empire's membership continues. :p

Patman,

I haven't ever met you. You think you have something to do with my new found enjoyment of Trials riding? :) Your mojo must be very powerful. :worship:

It's the same out here as Lori stated. $20 for a day of riding 8 sections, and the best part start times of 10-12, and 1 1/2 drive time too :cool:

I bought a 92 Fantic fixxer upper, the best money I've spent in this sport.

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
Lori,
Yea a trials bike. I know I love mine. Now be sure to go to www.gasgas.com and read "Magic" Mark Manniko's riding tips so that you learn how to do it right in the first place. Notice how Mark is doing a wheelie compared to your husband. We all make the mistake of pulling the bars up towards our chest with our arm and that is wrong as you will see. I hope someday you will come to a national trial. Thre are 2 nationals on the East Coast. Rhode Island and Penn.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Thanks Nicole!  Heh, heh, looking at those pictures of the Gas Gas site, it looks like I was doing the wheelies RIGHT!  (Where's that little raspberry smilie??)

Dave commented that when I pulled the wheelies, I was a little far back (but not THAT far--my arms aren't long enough!), and not pulling the bike up to my chest.  I had my arms more bent, not straight like his.  I thought I was doing it wrong! (Dave--  :moon: )

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
24 hour update:  I came home from work on Friday, but the Beta and Dave were nowhere to be seen.  I changed clothes, and shortly thereafter Dave comes running up to the house, from the barn.  He'd slashed his finger open, trying to make a repair on the bike!

Seems he was practicing wheelies (INCORRECTLY, I might add), got sloppy, and came down on the rear fender, snapping it off. :think: 

The man is a menace!  Can't leave him by himself for a second.  Well, he'll just have to ride the event on Sunday with a spodely-looking bolted on rear fender.  Serves him right. ;)

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Well, three days after picking up the trials bike, Dave participated in his first observed trials on Sunday.  We'd only spectated at one event in the fall, so as this was his first time and he wasn't exactly sure what he was doing, he signed up for the "Rookie" class.   Less than half a dozen in the class total--maybe the chilly weather and muddy sections kept people away.

As it was, the Beta performed well, and Dave pretty much decimated the Rookie class, dropping only 5 points the whole day.  I think he was a little sheepish, talking to some of the other guys after the event, telling them we just picked up the bike a few days ago.  :eek:  He's decided he will move himself up to Novice class the next event!

He also gave me the option of riding the next trials that doesn't interfere with our enduro schedule.  :o   Guess I'm gonna have to figure out that starting drill!

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by LoriKTM
He also gave me the option of riding the next trials that doesn't interfere with our enduro schedule.  :o   Guess I'm gonna have to figure out that starting drill!

Go for it Lori! :thumb: ...if you have to, start it from the left side with your right foot. I have seen several do it this way.

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
I have a year 2000 model Rev3 similar to yours - and overall I have been really pleased with it.

There are some extra parts that will improve the bike quite a lot. There is a fork brace that will get rid of some of the sideways flex of the upside down forks. This costs about NZ$90 (~US$45) and includes a new front mudguard. This fork flex is really only noticeable when you are trying to turn tightly when going downhill, and the fork brace really only improves your confidence that the front wheel will go where you want it to, which can be a big thing for some sections, but not for trail riding and playing about.

The one thing that I really hate about the '00 Rev3 is the airbox. We ride a lot in and around creeks, and the stock airbox leaks horribly. I plan to replace the whole rear sub frame, airbox and mudguard with the '03 stuff. A lot of the '00 and '01 Rev3 owners over here have already replaced theirs with '02 units, and everything fits on with only a little modification. (by the sounds of things Gas Gas Pro owners have similar issues, and I sympathise with them as it really is a PITA issue to deal with)

Welcome to the club, and I hope that you enjoy your bike as much as some of the other riders here :)

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
Maybe if you take along one of your normal dirt bikes (to use as transport between sections not to ride in the trial) you could take your partner along to start the Beta for you, and both ride the trial. You will get used to the kick start eventually, as it does become easier over time as you become better co-ordinated with the 'wierd' and awkward action required to start it.

There is a hidden danger with starting the bike with your right leg and standing on the left side of the bike. If your foot slips off the kick starter then you will munch your right calf into the footpeg with a fair bit of force because of the high compression. There are plenty of riders about with signature 'Beta' scars on their lower right legs, so be careful if you're trying to start it this way. I'm fairly short and find that this way of starting the bike is a bit uncomfortable as the kick start is too high up, and my knees aren't quite so flexible any more. So if you are short then you might find that the best way is just to straddle the bike and use your left foot.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Thanks for the tips, Wayne!

I've started the Beta a couple times, both left and right footed.  I needed to use a rock or step for the other foot, to give me a little lift.  I AM short, and every little bit helps.  It did seem a bit easier/more natural to straddle the bike and use the left foot.  I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually-- it seems to start very easily with the right technique!

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Lori - there is a very specific method to starting a Beta as follows:

1) Stand in the left side of the bike, holding the front brake with index finger.
2) Turn the bars full lock right, leaning the bike slightly towards you.
3) square your hips up parallel to the bike.
4) Place your right toe on the starter pointing towards the rear of the bike.
5) give a little lift of your body by raising your left heel.
6) Come down on the starter lever.

I can start mine left footed on the bike as well, but this is the preferred method.

Leo.

Last edited:

modphd

Nov 15, 2001
Lori:

It sounds like you are in the D-4 trials area. If so, try to spend some time with Carl Peters and Judy Difasi. They are wonderful teachers and very patient to work with -- you will learn a lot. If your husband is feeling his oats after his performance in the Rookie class, have him ride Carl's "Novice test section" at his place in Moreland. He may come away a little humbled, at least the first day he tries it. Tell Carl and Judy that Mike and Karen say hi and hope to see them this summer.

Mike OD

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Hi Mike!  Yep, we are right smack in the middle of D4 trials.  Last Sunday's event was the first D4 event of the season.  While Dave was in the sign up line, I was intently reading the 2003 rules that were posted.  An older gentleman came up and asked me if I was participating, and I said, "No, not this time".  We struck up a conversation, and it was only later that I realized that I was talking to Carl Peters! :o

Heck of a nice guy, and he only lives 15 minutes from us.  Invited us to come over any time for lessons, so we'll be taking him up on that pretty soon!  (As soon as some warmer weather comes back!)

Are you coming out to NY this summer?  If so, give us a holler and maybe we can meet up at an event. :thumb:

modphd

Nov 15, 2001
Lori:

Very glad to hear that you met Carl. Be sure to take him up on the invitation to visit his place and do some riding. As I said, you will learn a lot and Carl is VERY patient with Rookie/Novice riders. He really enjoys teaching. Gotta go to breakfast first, though (Chef's is the name of the place, if I remember). We hope to come up sometime this year, but it may not be until September. You might consider entering the Women's Open in Sequatchie, TN over the 4th of July. I know it's a long haul for you to drive, but it would be well worth it. There will be a Beginner class for those riders who are new to the sport. Give my wife Karen a yell (kggcrna@charter.net) if you want more information. She went last year (that's where we met Carl), and is planning to go again this year.

Mike OD

Top Bottom