1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Hey guy's its been awhile since I've been on here, but I finally sold
my previous RM 250 for a good price and picked up this clean 2002 CR 250! It's got a full fmf exhaust,renthal bars, renthal sprockets/chain,vforce reeds,fresh oem top end, and polished frame. It really rips compared to the 01' RM 250, but the only thing I am unfamiliar with is the RC power valve. Is this a reliable cable type setup with the servos? I was reading it needs adjustment quit often... any feedback?

1iohsg.jpg

24ni34o.jpg

30tpet0.jpg

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
RM_guy said:
Glad to see it's a 2 stroke!!! :)
What else would you ride?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Nice bike! Do a little research, I've heard of some issues with the cable operated power valves....though I'm sure proper maintenance and setup will prevent any major problems.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Nice bike. I have an 04' no issues with the RC valve. There is about 3guys in our ride pack that also have cr's with the RC valve and no problems. Honda= No worries ride and have fun.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
I finally got to really ride the bike today, 93 degree heat and 90% humidity though... After riding the bike for about 1/2 hr and warming it up, i started to hear a "stuttering/hiccup" type noise on rev down when letting off the throttle sometimes and it felt like it wanted to rev really easy. My first thought was running lean or possible air leak, but it didn't do any of this until the bike got "hot" which I found odd. The previous owner was a AA class rider which made me think it was running more lean if anything seeing I'm probably not on the throttle as much as he was. I'm not very familiar with the Mikuni tmx carb, but the choke lever is broke and won't stay up when you pull it. I dont think this would cause an air leak or this issue though? I also noticed when I got home the left cable on the RC powervalve was a little loose. The previous owner ran Castor premix oil, and today I was running yamalube from the shop mixed 32:1 as they dont sell castor oil. Any idea guys?

Last edited:

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Well this morning I pulled off the stator cover and it was spotless inside, but the flywheel has a tiny bit of play both in & out and side to side... not sure how to tell how much is acceptable, but you can feel a tiny bit of play.

Top Bottom