megaKDX'er

Feb 26, 2002
i got a pivot works kit for my swing arm and linkage but my swing arm pivot shaft is completly sezed. i got the bike used its a 96 and i dont think it has ever been greesed. i even tryed a 24 amp impact gun and it wont even turn does any on have any idea on how to get the damn thing out?

kevinkdx

Mar 25, 2001
I would say find the strongest socket you can, put he biggest ratchet you can find on it, and then add about a 3 foot pipe to the end of that, just slip it over the handle of the ratchet. This will give you more levererage. If that doesn't work try taking it to your dealer and say,"Hey, get this mother ****** out of here would you!"

kdxepp

Mar 20, 2001
I had the same stuck bolt problem last week on my untouched '94. After f'ing up the bolt threads with 30 hits using a brass drift I laid the bike on its side and used a ball peen hammer as a drift (keeps the hand out of impact area)and got a full swing with another heavy hammer and she finally broke through.

Now I'm installing the PivotWorks kit and the new bearings fit so tight that they have pinched the inner sleeve tight to the needles. I don't understand why they are so tight. They started in OK, but once they were almost centered in I noticed the inner sleeve was stuck. There goes a $50 kit. I may try the OEM's now. Anybody else had this problem???

Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
Man do I feel LUCKY. I recently took apart my never before serviced '95 KDX and everthing came apart beautifully. I actually pushed the swingarm bolt out with my fingers!:confused: Some of the bearings in there were still in great condition too...on the other hand, a bunch were bad, so I'm replacing them all. After all the horror stories I've heard, and seen, I was expecting something really bad...I guess I got off easy.:p

Good luck.

kdx357

Mod Ban
Nov 20, 2001
that is just the beginning of your problems when you get the swingarm off the bushings are a bit*h to get off use the right impact driver socket heat it and pound the hell out of it with a hammer /be careful when your putting them in too because they are needle bearings and if you hit them the inner bushing shoots out and your screwed too

DVO

Nov 3, 2001
I picked up a three-prong steering-wheel puller from W-Mart for about $6 CDN. Get the longest possible with a rod that is no larger in diameter that the bearing sleeve.
I took the prongs off, they're not needed. I use this with the largest 1/2in drive socket that will fit thru the bearings bore and another even larger socket that the bearing will fit inside when it comes out of its bore..
Take the threaded rod out of the puller, insert it through the drive end of the small socket, then through the bearing. On the other side of the bearing bore you'll need the larger socket with the open end against the s-arm. The threaded rod will go through this socket and finally screw into the the body of the puller. Then just put a ratchet on it and when tightened, the rod pulls the smaller socket into the bore of the s-arm where it butts up against the bearing and pulls the bearing out of the s-arm and into the larger socket-voila! You will have to reef on this move it no matter what but IMHO it's much safer than whacking on it with a hammer. No damage, no flying needles. Just be sure to center your work so the puller pulls straight. Same process for installation. PM me if you have any questions. DVO

SmokinRZ

Feb 26, 2002
I had a 84 CR 250 that I just got brutal with and it came out. I put a 225lb impact on my XR 400 and nothing, so I took it to a great shop here (LCS) and they drilled small holes in the motor cases I guess to drop oil in. Anyway, a couple of hundred bucks later they had it out. I was relieved when the bolt just slid out of my new to me 94 KDX 200 (need silencer) .

megaKDX'er

Feb 26, 2002
i got it out

i got the shaft out and it was rusted bad.when i pulled the sleeve out to cheek the bearings i found that the bearing on the right side (chain side) was ****'t there was hardly any bearing in there it turned the hole that the bearings go in egg shaped ''very nasty looking''. does any1 know if this can be fixed like replated or something? i dont think i really want to buy a hole new swing arm.

Top Bottom