tim_from_az

Sep 18, 2003
I've developed a crack in my filler neck so I'd like to try plastic welding the crack before replacing the tank. Can anyone who's done this before tell my what kind of plastic gas tanks are made from? What about fumes, Does the tank need to be steamed cleaned before I can use a soldering iron?

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
I read a good suggestion in a post a few months ago about plastic welding. Many body shops are set up to weld plastic fenders (newer Firebirds and Camaros among others) The plastic welding equipment would give better heat penetration than a soldering iron when repairing your filler neck.

I dont know what kind of plastic is used on the tanks. Any info in previous posts?

I would steam clean tank if it was me!

This seems to be a pretty common problem. Try a dealer and see if Kawasaki will warranty the tank.

Good luck.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I fixed a plastic gas can with Goop the other day
Had a small cut about half an inch long, put a lil dab of Goop on it and it has not leaked yet.
It has been 3 or 4 weeks now, even sitting out in the hot sun it has not leaked a drop.
www.eclecticproducts.com

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
dsndblm said:
This seems to be a pretty common problem. Try a dealer and see if Kawasaki will warranty the tank.

BEFORE you fix anything do a search for this topic and you will find there have been many who have claimed a new tank under Kawasaki warranty. Mine has a hairline crack that I hoping will get bigger and leak so I can get a new one... LOL

gupman

Jun 6, 2003
My 01 kdx tank had a crack develop at the bottom not at the filler neck like everyone else has had happen. The dealer was adamant about not covering my crack, but acknowledged problems with the filler and said that that was an area the Kawi was covering replacement on.
With that said I tried every cement/sealer/glue I could find for a polypro tank and NOTHING worked. I tried some welding with some spare plastic from a fender and just plain heating a screwdriver and melting the crack closed.
All without sucess... finally got an IMS tank and called it quits :eek: Hope you have better luck

250RDude

Feb 23, 2003
Hey Tim,
Sorry to hear about the leaker. When I bought My KDX & took it out for it's first major ride I had a lap full of Premix! :bang: Mine had a crack in the filler neck about 2 inches long that opened up upon tightening of the filler cap. I used the old soldering Iron trick with some shroud plastic & it has worked perfectly. When a previous repair at the petcock mounting area was cracked & leaking I borrowed the plastic welder from work & repaired it, still holding strong. If you can't get it replaced & need some help let me know. :eek:

tim_from_az

Sep 18, 2003
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not using the stock 01 tank so the dealer can't do any free swaps. Donnie, I might try the soldering iron deal. Did you have to steam clean the tank first?

Top Bottom