kickback123

Jul 29, 2002
I'm hoping you guys can help. I was riding yesterday, and all of sudden I couldn't accelerate, it got worse and worse...I eventually came to a stop..My front brake was stuck on..The rotor was blazing hot, and it wouldn't budge. I smacked the front tire on the ground a couple times, and it came loose...Started to ride again, and 2 minutes later it happened again...I just pushed it back home..What could be going on? Piston stuck? What do you I suggest I do..Brake bleed? They are new pads..

thanks

jc

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
service your front brakes. sounds like your caliper is sticky also lube the sliders also.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I think 70 is on the money.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
sounds like a problem i had once while changing brake pads,, turns out, the spring inside the level perch was jammed up against the piston button. Undo your lever and see if the spring is jammed and twisted/broke. it's the spring that makes your lever stay out.

hope that helps..

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
All of the above & what is happening is the pads aren’t retreating (nothing new there), but I suspect because the lever you have on isn’t allowing the return hole in the master cylinder to vent fluid back after is has pushed. The fluid gets hotter & expands forcing the brake on more. Check there is freeplay at the lever to piston.

Right, clean out your master cylinder lid & check all the vents are clean from grunge. See the vents? Check the rubber is ok.

You may need to clean out the cylinder but caution is required, usually bleeding through a bunch of clean fluid will suffice.

While you are at it take the calliper off & pads out. Pump the pistons out a few mm till clean material is shown & use a thin rag to clean up pistons. Push carefully back in place. You can carefully use a cheap wood sash or G clamp for this, but don’t go crazy. Check level of cylinder not over full.

Sometimes the fluid picks up dust that becomes sludge & this falls to the bottom of the system. . . which is just behind the pistons. Often on an old bike I will remove them by pumping them out evenly & this gives you a good chance to clean the pistons properly & any gunk in the calliper + inspect the seals.

The Disc may have become warped from over heating so check it is straight by spinning the wheel with the calliper still off & holding a key or something to the disc to check it.

Check this out & let us know, as there is more but check the easy stuff first.

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom