KTMNewbie

Sep 24, 2001
I have a friend that is selling a 99 (possibly a 98) YZ400F, with all the mods you can think of, besides a steering damper. I have right now a 2001 KTM 250 MX/C. I have ridden the YZ a couple of times, and while a little heavy and wide, it has more than enough power, and seems to be really suited to the trails that we ride. I know him well enough to know that he takes exceptional care of his bikes, and if something is wrong, he fixes it. He is selling it for $4000, and I think that if I did want to make the switch I could get $4500 for my KTM which is in really good condition. I was wondering, is the price too high for the YZ (I know that it is worth well over this in mods when they were done) and am I expecting to get too much out of my bike? Also, for trail riding would you even recemmend the switch?

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
Get him to let you ride it for awhile, long enough so that you get used to it. If you like it, buy it! Riding a bike is by far the best way to tell if you want it.

B

biglou

That price seems a little high. I just bought a brand new '01 426 for $5200. If it is a 98, I would think $3k would be closer to the mark, and about $3300 for a 99. All those mods don't mean much for resale value.

That said, if you know the guy very well, and know the service history on it, and the peace of mind is worth the money to you, go ahead. I would think youcould get him down to at least $35-3700. JMHO. :)

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
I got my 99 YZ400 for $3200. It had plenty of mods on it and was in good shape. I bought it for that price last summer. It is a great bike and I highly recommend it but I think you can find one for a better price.

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
Just be like Big Lou and keep the 250 MXC and get you a new 426! It is not everyday that you get the chance to be like Lou.

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
I am going to pick up an '00 YZ426 for my cousin tomorrow and am giving $3800 for it. It only has about 10 hrs ride time from a guy that is over 40yrs old. The original tires still have the red line visible on them. I think you can find a better deal!

Top Bottom