Powder Coating Color availability for KDX200

Canon

Nov 17, 2001
Greetings all. I left my frame with a local powder coating shop a few weeks back. Shop complains that they are having a hard time getting hold of the correct green for the job. Has anyone else experienced this? If any of you have had the job done, and have suggestions as to where to find this color, company name, powder#, etc....please let me know. Thanks.

teton

Dec 13, 2000
It is hard to match the factory green paint with a powder coated color, I had my old KX done a few years ago and the color is nice but a bit darker that the stock green. I had it done at Olimpic Powdercoat in Santa Ana California. I can get there number for you if you want, dont have as of now. they do the Kaw. race teams powdercoating and I think they do Procurcit's as well so they will be the best bet for color matches and #.

Canon

Nov 17, 2001
Thanks DougMXer and teton. Teton, any info or numbers regarding the powder coat job you had done will be great. Thanks for the replies.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Nice Frames

For about the same amount of $$$ you can get a frame nickel plated. It's really pretty and the nickel is much more durable than the polymer coating.

motormichael

~SPONSOR~
Sep 26, 2001
How does powder coating hold up

It has the same abrasion resistance as a stock Honda frame. I had an XR 600 frame coated to bring it back to new cond. The coater told me that the frame was originally powder coated from the factory. I guess this makes sense because I have noticed that there is never a primer coat under the color coat. I would think there would be if the frame had regular paint on it. The powder coating cost me $150.00 plus $50.00 for shot blasting to strip the frame.

Canon

Nov 17, 2001
Speedy. In the process of restoring my 89, I found a crack where the right engine guard loop meets the frame and took it to my local blacksmith for a touch of MIG. I mentioned to him that I was in the process of restoring the bike and was planning to paint the frame. He offerred to powder coat it for me at a price much lower than I expected. He had just opened his new powder coat facility a couple of weeks earlier, so I guess I just happened in at the right time. It is my understanding that powder coating is much more durable than painting, and since this is an offroad bike....hey...had to take him up on it. As I stated originally though, finding the perfect paint has been a chore. I went by this morning and found a color sample that was close. A bit lighter than the original....but pretty darn close. I told them to go for it. I will post more pics on my website as soon as I get the frame back. In the meantime....CLICK HERE to see the site.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom