premix and/or race gas in your truck

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
I've suffered some long droughts between rides so I thought it best to burn up my old bike gas in my truck. Is this a bad idea if mixed with oil? How about (unleaded) race gas? I heard it might have some metals or something bad for catalytic converters. (Only true for leaded?) I'll pour the old premix or race gas in with my truck's near-full tank to dilute it pretty good.

Or maybe you can just tell me the oil will mix right back in with the gas months later and I can run it in the bike just fine, or race gas takes years to break down and go bad, then I won't have to feel I need to pour it into my truck.

P.S. I know putting race gas in a highway vehicle is verboten, so don't hassle me on that.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
I don`t know how it will affect your cat convertor but the oil will help lube the top end similar to leaded fuel.

Steve

bagolies

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
I've never done race gas, but I have put premix in the same way you do...when the tank is full. I haven't seen any smoke or had any problems so far.

Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
Being a thumper guy i don't have to worry about left over bike fuel. However we have been dumping premix from our landscape equipement into pick ups for years. We always do it w/ a full tank. Never had a problem. Are trucks aren't clunkers either. My p up has a 34 gal gas tank. What's a pint or two of stale blower gas gonna do to it??

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
OK; here is my experience:

Long time ago I had a '74 Datsun. Carburated drum brakes, four speed, la da da. The folks I rode with told me to dump leftover fuel into it; they did it all the time in a late '60s Chevy - nooooo problems. So I did just that once or twice, maybe a few times in a row, no immediate results until one time on a long trip it started spittin' and stummerin'; pulling over, I traced it to the fuel filter - bypassed it to get home. And yes, being translucent it became discolored to the shade of premix oil. Perhaps it settled in the tank and came thru all at once. In any event, never did that again, especially with these modern fuel injected engines. Maybe the newer oils disperse better and stay that way. I suggest saving the old fuel for starting camp fires - that's another hot, igniting topic...

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
I use my special premix for campfires. Used engine oil and then a splash of gas will get things burning with only a brief puff of black smoke at blastoff. I was very surprised at how clean the engine oil would burn, and hot too. Most oil gets recycled though and the oil is much safer than repeatedly throwing gas on a sputtering fire. Just try it, you will be a believer.

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Myself, I don't risk putting premix in my '97 silverado. The truck has allready suffered from clogged fuel injectors and a dead fuel pump. The '68 Cougar with 4-barrel carb seems to like pre-mix just fine.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
I actually put left-over premix in my GMC DIESEL!!!!

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
So this isn't settled... ?

I used to pour old pre-mix into my '89 Toyota 4X4 (EFI), but am hesitant to put it in the '02 F-250 or '99 Tahoe.

Hummm...

Top Bottom