Pitbull

Apr 10, 2001
OK, I was going over the bike when I noticed that one of the screws in the left side shroud just spins. It won't come out. It is the screw that goes into the gas tank, so, I guess the fitting has come loose, allowing the threads to turn with the screw, instead of holding still. Is there any way to get this screw out and get that fixed? Any ideas would be helpful.
Thanx,
Chris:cool:

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
It might also have stripped threads. I don't know if you will be able to get just the screw out. You might need to pull that metal piece thats molded into the tank out.

KXTodd

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2000
I had a similar problem on my 91KX125! , almost bought a new tank just because it bugged me so much knowing it was like that;) Mine was spinning the whole insert in the plastic.
I got it out by holding the washer with a pair of vise grips, then loosen the bolt. Hope that helps:cool:

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
if you don't trash the insert getting it out and assuming the threads are still alright you can reaffix it to the tank using a good quality epoxy, make sure you let it harden well before trying to reattach the shroud.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
why do you want to remove it? I would'nt pull insert out of tank !

you'll toast a very expensive tank© I'd either use a dull flat screw driver and pry gently under the plasic/screw area,with tip on top of insert and turn the screw out© or if that does'nt work pull the screw head threw the plastic gently© one of the shroud screw holes are stripped on the old kdx and I just stick a screw in it © it say's© by the way epoxy will not be a effective adhesive on this type of plastic!

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I'm interested to know why you think epoxy won't work in this situation? Is it a product of the gas fumes or just because it just won't stick? Seems to have worked just fine for many other riders so why should this case be any different?

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Had the same problem. Here is what you do.
1)Get a very powerful air impact wrench.
2)Spin the bolt VERY fast so that the plastic heats up.
3)Use a big flat screwdriver behind the panel and the washer to pop the insert out of the tank.
4)Use a drill bit(by hand) to remove all the extra plastic out of the hole that the insert came out of.
5)Clean it out and use epoxy to reinstall it making sure that it does not get int he threads.
6)Use liberal antisieze and never tighten the bolt much. After washing check it to see if it is siezed.

The epoxy works fine. It will pop back out in bad crashes but just reeinstall it and you are fine. You may want to use JB weld, but epoxy has been very good to me.

It is very hard to take the insert out without spinning it to melt the tank a bit. The shroud will also get ruined if you are not careful and don't use a big flat screwdriver. If you still have trouble doing it, and you want it done, I will do it for free if you can get the tank/shroud assembly to me.

Don't fret, there is alot of material around the insert and it is very hard to ruin the tank itself.

Hope I helped.:)

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
epoxy won't stick

fuel tank plastic is the same plastic basicly as a milk jug© polyethylene A polymerized ethylene resin, used especially for containers, kitchenware, and tubing, or in the form of films and sheets for packaging© epoxy will not permanently bond to it© fiberglass on the other hand polystrene A rigid clear thermoplastic polymer that can be molded into objects or made into a foam that is used to insulate refrigerators,or boat hulls will let epoxy permanently bond to it©

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Epoxy does work fine. YOu do not want to use something that permanently bonds because if you ever have to remove the insert again then you will not be able to remove it and you will have ruined yor tank.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
maybe you should get a bigger power drill?

kawi, the boy just has a loose screw!

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
Loctite product

There is a loctite product that looks like a grey twinky, with black filling. You cut a chunk off, and work it betwixt you digits until its all the same color, then squish it into the desired location. I have used this to repair a RM front fender, water pump housing (CR250), fuel tank (CR250) and all sorts of other locations.
This stuff sticks like poop to a baby blanket.
Near permanent repair.

There are some cheep substitutes, but the loctite product is by far the best.

Good Luck.

Pitbull

Apr 10, 2001
Thanx

Thanx everyone. I am gonna get the bike out and try to get it out this weekend. I am gonna try and do what Kawie said to do, see if I can break something:p . I appreciate everyones help.
Thanx,
Chris:cool:

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
kawi, the boy just has a loose screw!

The inserts molded into his tank are siezed onto the rad shroud bolts and he needs to remove them. The problem is that inserts just turn in the soft plastic of the tank. You need the powertools to metl the plastic surrounding the insert.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Lets see if you can ruin a good tank!

I was just going over the bike
the boy only has a stripped screw© his bike is'nt even broke© I'd just leave it alone till he has a reason to remove the plastic! I was going over my spare tank, last nigh© checking out my inserts, there just brass and brass strippes very easily© so all you have to do is stop the insert from spinning© use your flat tipped srcew driver and gently wedge it between the radiator cover plastic & sert and twist gently, then with the other hand use your 1/4 drive rachet & extsension 8 mm socket and gently remove the bolt© the threads are only brass! once I had the bolt out I'd go to the hardware and buy a metric 6mm bottom tap and clean up the threads ¥ if there's any left¤ or us a heil coil to repare it, the kits about $17 they give you the bit and installion tool plus coils©

Last edited:

DavTys

Jun 29, 2001
Tank Epoxy

Hey, I've been reading your post and had the same problem except when the guy I bought my bike from removed the bolt/nut, he poked a hole in the tank!! I tried several epoxy's and none of them worked. I found a product called Plasti-Aid ( I think. I'll get the bottle tonight and bost the for sure name tomorrow) and it was made for bonding plastic!! I used it and it was fantastic!! Within 30 minutes I was riding and no leaks and is still holding like it was brand new!! For tank leaks and re-bolting, I highly recommend it!!
I'll let you know tomorrow!! They have a website for ordering too!!!

Top Bottom