Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Ther tank when I bought it leaked at the mounting bracket. I bought a used one, cleaned it all up, then found it leaking at the horizontal line along the bottom. I think it's a weak point for them. Found a used Clark tank to put on it, but the petcock was broke, so I'm still getting wet right knee when I ride. Maybe I'll find the petcock this week.[/QUOTE]

The tanks on this bike always broke at the mounting bracket. I broke two when I owned mine.

Still, I feel like it was one of the best bikes I ever owned. Best of luck with yours. My neighbor had a pristine 1981 model. I offered to buy it from him, but no go...damn!

actarus

May 31, 2005
If I ever have to replace the rings (that is if I open the case), should I go with EBC clutch parts or Barnett clutch kit ?

Keep in mind that the bike is 25 years old so is it worth spending 150$ to repair the clutch or I should just go and get the cheaper solution ?

actarus

May 31, 2005
*Update*

Found out what the clutch problem was ... it was missing oil ... as soon as I poured oil in, I was able to ride it ... but as with many old things, a new problem arose :bang:

I think I'll have to change the clutch cable since it seems to be stretching forever.

At least, now I know that the bike runs well and is pretty impressive (to a newbie like me that is) :nener:

Se77vN

Jan 24, 2005
actarus said:
*Update*

Found out what the clutch problem was ... it was missing oil ... as soon as I poured oil in, I was able to ride it ... but as with many old things, a new problem arose :bang:

DUH.....wow....I can't belive that people still forget to put oil in thier bikes. I am not "hatin" by any means....but come on people......OIL IS THE BLOOD OF BIKES.....without blood we die!

Good luck on your project...it sounds like you got a hell of a deal for $350...old bike or not....KDX are die hards!!!

actarus

May 31, 2005
Yeah well I'm still learning here :p ... anyway

*Update*

Will be replacing clutch cable soon (already ordered it) as well as replacing some of the cover screws. Mainly the oil level check screw and the drain plug/drain plug gasket.

I'll be riding it soon hopefully !!

FYI : I've had a ride this w-e with some friends using an old Honda CT90 bike and I ended up getting my first blackeye when I came crashing on the sand :yikes:

Last edited:

actarus

May 31, 2005
*Update*

My bike died on me tonight ... :(

It was bogging a lot compared to what I've seen yet. Anyway, I took it for a spin, no problems to get to the pit, once there I was only able to do 3 or 4 stretches and then it died.

I think it's pretty obvious but just to make sure, That is going to be a piston/rings job right ?

Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
The tanks on this bike always broke at the mounting bracket. I broke two when I owned mine.

Still, I feel like it was one of the best bikes I ever owned. Best of luck with yours. My neighbor had a pristine 1981 model. I offered to buy it from him, but no go...damn!

I was pretty sure the aftermarket tank I got for $20 was a Clarke, so ordered the Clarke petcock. It fit!
It isn't as pretty as the stock tank --- big and bulbous looking, and the color is a deeper green. It works though, and including the petcock was $32 & change.

I need to dial in my jetting now, but got the top end back for my IT400, so have been distracted (and on vacation last week) with it. My daughter's XR100 is the only bike in the house that starts and runs right. My KDX and IT both need fine tuning, and my MX400 has ignition trouble. I ought to get of this blasted computer and get to work!

actarus

May 31, 2005
*Update*

I went to the local "referenced" machine shop yesterday to have my cylinder bored and the machinist that does the job told me that my cylinder was coated with nicasil. Is it logical for a machine that old (1980) was using nicasil on the cylinder wall ?? I may be wrong but there are 4 oversizing kits (piston/rings) available for my motor.

Anyone has a clue about that ?

Last edited:

actarus

May 31, 2005
*Update*

Hey guys ! missed me ? :nener:

Writing just to let you know I'm aboutto send the cylinder to get worked on at the end of the month. Will be getting new piston and rings. And will do a complete gasket job on the engine part since I don't think it has ever been done ...

Hoping to ride as soon as spring comes in !

As always, any input, ideas or thoughts are welcome.

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
No oil in the engine could mean that the right crankcase seal is bad. Over time, letting all the oil leak into the cylinder and get burned. When fresh oil was put in, it could have started leaking into the cylinder, causing the plug to foul. That may have been what caused it to stop running. This is just a guess. When you remove the cylinder, look for excess oil on the crank. Or note if your oil level drops.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
YES! It is a plated cylinder. REPLATE IT!! Don't get it sleeved. Buy am OEM or Wiseo piston kit and send along the piston to the plater so they can match it up.

actarus

May 31, 2005
Not to worry, I'll get it replated. Probably a lot more expensive but should take longer before the next top end or maybe never if I take good care of it !

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I also lost the tank on my 1981 model. Guess where it broke? Yes, the mounting bracket.

I loved th ebike. I ended up finding a KX 125 of the same year for low dollars. All of the suspension components switched right over. It makes a great upgrade for the bike.

firecat6

Jun 25, 2005
hey guys... i got a 81 kdx175 and think i got the same problem with the needle valve not shutting off the fuel in the carb.... but like said above kawi. cant get the parts.... does anyone konw where i can get them? or what size the carb actually is? incase i have to get another carb

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
The part is still available, it's just not listed by Kawasaki. It is still available through Mikuni, which sells through many distributors. Your dealer should easily be able to track down a needle and seat for your carb, unless he is completely useless.

actarus

May 31, 2005
Hi guys !

I have a couple question about my bike performance wise.

I've looked on the net but nothing concluding came up.

What can we still do on an old bike like mine ? I'm aware of the carb mods that could be done but I'm mostly looking for something regarding the exhaust/pipe that will fit my bike.

What has been done so far, what would you recommend etc .

Thanks !

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Unfortunately, no one lists a pipe or silencer for that bike anymore due to its age. They used to make them, but demand has dropped off, as most riders of bikes that old, don't want to mod them out, unless they are racing vintage motocross.

The most likely to still have a pipe for that bike would be DG performance, but they only list back to the 84 KDX 200, so you would have to contact them. FMF and Pro Circuit only list back to 86 for the KDX 200. Some of them may also pull out their old designs and build one on special order, but you would have to contact them directly, as no distributor will have a listing for it in their catalog.

The only other option is to see if you can find something used to fit. These will be few and far between, so it might take some looking to find it.

You could probably make a silencer intended for a KDX 200 fit with some modification and custom bracketry, but that would be entirely up to you.

You could also have a custom pipe built for it, but that will be pricey, as they would need your bike to make some design calculations and it would be a one off custom pipe.

If the stock exhaust is simply banged up and you want to restore the appearance and some of the original performance that has been lost, you could have a pipe repair company blow the dents out of it.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Get a Clymer manual for it. There is a section in the back with a lot of modifications for racing and better performance. You might be able to track down some of those parts.

You may want to look into doing a front end swap to a more modern KDX or KX front end. With more modern suspension, you can better use the current power you already have, plus it will have a front disc brake to slow you down better.

Good luck with it!

actarus

May 31, 2005
*Update*

Juste recieved the wiseco piston kit I ordered and guess what, it did'nt came in with the piston pin ! I was told that some wiseco piston kits came w/o the actual pin so I ordered one seperately. I'm a bit dispointed with that. For those who actually did a replating job, did the piston kit came in with the appropriate pin or not ?

Last edited:

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
wow prolly a tad bit late but i have the bike as you but mine's an 82. and i run 40:1 with 2 stroke outboard oil and seems to run fine. just a warning... the kickstart shafts are weak. i snapped one like 2 months after i got the bike and i could only find one at bikebandit.com, they are in san diego california. i got mine fired up just down the road today and was coming back to the house to grab the lid(helmet) and it died so i fired it back up and went to move and it stalled, so now the kickstart lever goes up and down like it should be its not catching anything and is not turning the engine over. so i dont know whats up. but im thinking next year after spring i might get something smaller like a KX100 or a 125. the older KDX's are HEAVY, like 240 pounds heavy.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
83MX80 said:
wow prolly a tad bit late but i have the bike as you but mine's an 82. and i run 40:1 with 2 stroke outboard oil and seems to run fine. just a warning... the kickstart shafts are weak. i snapped one like 2 months after i got the bike and i could only find one at bikebandit.com, they are in san diego california. i got mine fired up just down the road today and was coming back to the house to grab the lid(helmet) and it died so i fired it back up and went to move and it stalled, so now the kickstart lever goes up and down like it should be its not catching anything and is not turning the engine over. so i dont know whats up. but im thinking next year after spring i might get something smaller like a KX100 or a 125. the older KDX's are HEAVY, like 240 pounds heavy.

You do realize that outboard oil is a TC-W3 oil, which isn't designed for use in an air cooled dirtbike that runs significantly hotter than what the oil is designed for. It's your bike, but you would be better with an oil designed for air cooled engines or bikes, not outboards.

As to the kickstarter, you're going to have to pop the cover back off. Odds are the spring popped out and the gear isn't engaging or something like that.

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
we should know what outboard oil does. my dad is a marine mechanic and has been for like 25-30 years. thats all he's ever done, and i asked him if it will hurt the engine he said no and said i could use it and it would be fine. and for the kickstart thats what i was thinking too, something disengaged or popped out or something. will it hurt the bike if i just bomb start it so i can hopefully ride it around a tad bit next weekend? if i can bomb start it to ride next weekend i'd like to do that and wait to take it apart because my dad is in Mexico and i dont want him freaking out......

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom