proper bike for height , weight ,and ability

dbd

Apr 11, 2001
I'm in the market to purchase a new bike .Currently I ride a 86 CR125 with a beefed up suspension .I ride on all kinds of different terrain . I lke my 125 but it's worn out .I'm 6'4" weigh 225 and old enough to know better.I have only been riding for 4 years but love it . Looking at 4 strokes ,any and all suggestions on this purchase would greatly be aprechated. dbd

------------------

CAB

Nov 18, 1999
You're a big man so you should have no problem handling either a DRZ400, XR650, or XR400. I'd look at any of those three. The thought of you on that 125 is rather amusing! Whatever you get, your first mod. should be a triple clamp that moves the bars forward and up! I'm 6'3" and this mod is a huge improvement.

------------------

Rob_43

Apr 7, 2001
Originally posted by dbd:
I'm in the market to purchase a new bike .Currently I ride a 86 CR125 with a beefed up suspension .I ride on all kinds of different terrain . I lke my 125 but it's worn out .I'm 6'4" weigh 225 and old enough to know better.I have only been riding for 4 years but love it . Looking at 4 strokes ,any and all suggestions on this purchase would greatly be aprechated. dbd

Your taller than me (5'10") and I weigh 210 and I own a Suzuki DRZ400 and I have NO complaints so far. I just wish it weighed about 30 lbs less but other than that I would not change a thing again, so far!
Good luck and enjoy

PS: Mental pic of you on a 125 makes me chuckle too :)

------------------
Rob
2000 Suzuki DRZ400

[This message has been edited by Rob_43 (edited 04-12-2001).]

Deeler

Feb 19, 2000
You're on the right track looking at larger 4 stroke. I'm just over 6', and have a tall seat on my XR 400.
At 6'4" you should consider moving the bars forward, to get a little more room on the bike.
With the bike and suspension set-up for your weight, no matter what you get, going off-roading is going to be waaaaaay more fun!

DAVE

------------------

[This message has been edited by Deeler (edited 04-12-2001).]

Bill_RC1

Mar 29, 2001
Look at the KTM 520SX, Juice clutch, adjustable Oversize bars (move forward), excel rims, a motor with tons of low down power, and quality parts throughout the bike -- buy it, ride it, no mods required.

------------------

dbd

Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by CAB:
You're a big man so you should have no problem handling either a DRZ400, XR650, or XR400. I'd look at any of those three. The thought of you on that 125 is rather amusing! Whatever you get, your first mod. should be a triple clamp that moves the bars forward and up! I'm 6'3" and this mod is a huge improvement.

------------------

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
I'll agree with all above, my only input is if your riding all types of terrain maybe the 520SX (motorcross version)isn't the way to go, how about the M/XC or E/XC version?

Headlight (EXC) different gear box and bigger tanks too.

Just my couple a pennies

Yea the thought of you on the 125 made me grin as well ;)

------------------
Don't worry, it only seems kinky the first time..

AMA Member
Blue Ribbon Member
Colo. Off-Highway Vechicle Coaliation member
One of the first 25 DRN Members (I'm proudest of this one!)

dbd

Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by CAB:
I was thinking about all those bikes and then some .The wr250f caught my eye ,so have the DRZ400,WR400F ,and the XR400.The XR600's I think are to big for woods riding and the KTM's are a bit to pricey . I wish I could test ride them all .thanks for the input.

------------------

honDAN

Mar 23, 2001
I am 6'1" ,230lbs. I currently ride the XR 650. I came from riding an 83 XR500. I liked the width of the seat on this new thumper. You however might like the skinnier seat of the new Xr 450 that is coming out, or (and I say this with some reservations)the new WR from Yamaha is a pretty impressive new ride. This is the first bike I have ever thought about owning since I've owned Hondas since 1973. My suggestion to you would be to go to your bike shop and sit on the ones you like and see which one "suits your Fanny" :)

------------------
90% of our fears are never realized. Go Big!

dbd

Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by honDAN:
I am 6'1" ,230lbs. I currently ride the XR 650. I came from riding an 83 XR500. I liked the width of the seat on this new thumper. You however might like the skinnier seat of the new Xr 450 that is coming out, or (and I say this with some reservations)the new WR from Yamaha is a pretty impressive new ride. This is the first bike I have ever thought about owning since I've owned Hondas since 1973. My suggestion to you would be to go to your bike shop and sit on the ones you like and see which one "suits your Fanny" :)

I'm a big Honda fan myself , reliable motors and trans .That XR650 seems like alot of bike to run around trees other land marks .The XR400 seems to be a bit old in the tech. department .YZ400's seem to be the way to go , but the WR and YZ250F's look very promising also .Can't deside, thanks for the input. dbd

------------------

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I must agree with everybody on the 400 & up
I don't think you'll be happy on a WR or YZ250F they are really nothing more than a 4s
version of a 2s 125 got to ride them high in on the pipe. I'm looking to go from a 01 250YZ to a 520 E/XC

Good luck

------------------
never ride faster than an angel can fly

TriPower

Apr 3, 2001
I'm 6', 200lbs, 32 years old. Mainly been a Honda man, since I really appreciate their workmanship (I can't wait for their aluminum framed 250 4 stroke, maybe 2003?) I've had different 125's, 250's, and a 500 over the years. For a few years I had both a 125 and 250, and for play riding the 250 always stayed in the garage. 125's are just a ton of fun *if* you like that style of high revving power. I think it's great.

When I saw the YZ250f, I really started to think that it's the bike for me. High revving power, relatively light weight, and more low end torque that any 125 to carry my extra weight. I now have a brand new YZ250f in my garage, just waiting for it's first ride tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. Since you're a little "biggie sized", you may prefer the 426 :)

One more point: I've ridden the XR400 and XR650, and I don't have as much fun on either of them. I'd still rather have a good 125 or 250. I hope nobody's offended but they just don't suit my riding style. I prefer hard charging, high revving bikes to smooth torquers.

Just one man's slightly biased opinion...

-Joe

------------------

[This message has been edited by TriPower (edited 04-13-2001).]

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
In your post, you say you like your 125.
If so, you may not like the power delivery of a thumper.
(then again, you may love it. who knows?)
You might want to consider a move to a bigger 2-stroke.
A 250, or even a 500 maybe.
(this IS supposed to be the last year for the mighty CR500R i believe.)
I'm a thumper guy myself, but if you've been weaned on 2 strokes you may not be happy with valves and cams!
Just a thought.

PS: TEST RIDE first! :)

------------------

dbd

Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by TriPower:
I'm 6', 200lbs, 32 years old. Mainly been a Honda man, since I really appreciate their workmanship (I can't wait for their aluminum framed 250 4 stroke, maybe 2003?) I've had different 125's, 250's, and a 500 over the years. For a few years I had both a 125 and 250, and for play riding the 250 always stayed in the garage. 125's are just a ton of fun *if* you like that style of high revving power. I think it's great.

When I saw the YZ250f, I really started to think that it's the bike for me. High revving power, relatively light weight, and more low end torque that any 125 to carry my extra weight. I now have a brand new YZ250f in my garage, just waiting for it's first ride tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. Since you're a little "biggie sized", you may prefer the 426 :)

One more point: I've ridden the XR400 and XR650, and I don't have as much fun on either of them. I'd still rather have a good 125 or 250. I hope nobody's offended but they just don't suit my riding style. I prefer hard charging, high revving bikes to smooth torquers.

Just one man's slightly biased opinion...

-Joe

Please let me know how you like the new ride .Thanks for the insight.

------------------

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
At 6'4" 225# you can plan on spending money on the following regardless of which bike you buy:
taller seat foam
bar mounts &/or triple clamp to move the bars up & forward
new bars - personal preference for additional height/sweep
stiffer springs - fork & shock

I'm 6'4" 250# & those are the things I've had to do to the bikes I've owned - '88 XR600, '90 KX500 & '99 WR400. All three bikes have more than enough power to go faster than I really need to go.

My wife is 5'11" and will be getting a new triple clamp & bar mounts to give her a little more room on her XR250R.

Did I mention moving the bars up & forward really makes the bike feel like it was designed for you - not some 5'8" 160# 'normal' rider?

Brian

------------------
'99 WR400 - dual sport
'90 KX500
'92 XR250R - dual sport, wife's bike (I ride it more than she does because it goes ANYWHERE)

dbd

Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by NVR FNSH:
At 6'4" 225# you can plan on spending money on the following regardless of which bike you buy:
taller seat foam
bar mounts &/or triple clamp to move the bars up & forward
new bars - personal preference for additional height/sweep
stiffer springs - fork & shock

I'm 6'4" 250# & those are the things I've had to do to the bikes I've owned - '88 XR600, '90 KX500 & '99 WR400. All three bikes have more than enough power to go faster than I really need to go.

My wife is 5'11" and will be getting a new triple clamp & bar mounts to give her a little more room on her XR250R.

Did I mention moving the bars up & forward really makes the bike feel like it was designed for you - not some 5'8" 160# 'normal' rider?

Brian

What mods were done to the WR400 and how easy or hard has it been to maintain. dbd

------------------

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I've added the following to my '99 WR400 -
Applied Racing TC - moves bar mount holes 10mm forward of stock. In '00 Yamaha did this but the bar mounts are not removable.

Thumper Racing +1.5 bar risers - 1.5" forward & 1.5" up - Best mod for tall guys

ProTapers - Enduro Hi's off my KX500

Guts Racing - Tall/firm foam & gripper cover. At 250# standard or soft foam compresses too much. Helps with the seated to standing transition.

I've got a second set of foot pegs that I cut the 'barrel' off of so they can flipped but I haven't installed them yet.

With the above changes the ergos work really well. Short people do not like my bike :)

WR reliablity? If you had asked me last week I would have said no problem - clean the air filter, change the oil, adjust the valves NO Problem (note - the only aftermarket performance component is a Thumper Racing Quiet Core for the stock exhaust system. I have removed the air box lid, trimmed the throttle stop & rejetted to 48PJ, DTM #4 needle, 168(?) MJ, 1.5 turns FS)

This week I seem to have picked up a strange noise - don't know if it is a broken part or if I screwed up when I adjusted the valves. I'm really hoping it's something lame.....

Brian

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
I am in the 230 lbs range myself. I found that you really need to ride on a couple of brands to appreciate the difference betweem bikes and how they fit. I have riden a 2001 YZF426, 1998 Honda XR400R, KTM's and my VOR's. I have sat on the new 2001 Husqvarna's. Despite what I read in the magazines, the 2001 Yamaha 426 was too soft and didn't fit me as well as the Husqvarna, VOR and KTM's. The Honda XR's are just heavy and those new Suzuki's just feel weird with the way their seat seems to tilt to the rear for me. My local dealers will give demo rides. The local VOR dealer will actually drag his bike to our local track because he has to fight the lack of marketing exposier.

If you have equal dealer support for all these brands my bet your going to be impressed with the new Four Stroke Husqvarna's, both their price and performance. I think they are the sleepers in this mix. Also ANY of the KTM four strokes are awesome machines, that new 520 MX/C is about the most versitile machine ever built. They are also the most expensive. The VOR's also seem to fit the large set well and mine has proven to be fast, reliable, and easy to maintain. Actually its the easiest machine to do basic maintainance I ever have owned. It also works well for me and now when I go back to my son's Honda CR's; they actually feel cramped and awkward. Understand I was a die hard CR fan for almost 15 years. Notice that now Husqvarna is spending money in magazine ad's they are getting better press.

The VOR has been a very pleasent surprise. I think I appreciate it more because I just didn't expect as much as it delivers. Conversly when I rode the Yamaha I expected a religious experience and actually got something that didn't work nearly as well for me as my VOR. So my impression was much worse than it actually deserved because I was really dissapointed.

One of the guys I race with also rode my VOR and thought it fit better than his Yamaha but was harsh( I always set mine up stiff and the VOR folks set mine up at the factory based on what I asked for..it works for me but is too stiff for most. ) but rode a dealer's VOR Enduro and thought it was the best machine he ever experienced..and his practice lap times confirmed it worked better for him. He can correct the suspension with a new set of springs, and a revalve. But then his Yamaha will cost as much as my VOR or a KTM.

By the same token my friend who is a more "normal" size thinks the Yamaha fits best and the suspension is perfect followed by the smaller two stroke KTM's. My hyper aggessive son would definitly be much better off with the Yamaha's...and when I was 21 and 165lbs I might have felt the same. The Yamaha's burst type of power would fit his style. Also since you have riden on a 125 for so long the Yamaha's will be easier to transition to at first....but don't just assume its best because of what you read..take a little time to check out the others.

You will hear many with all kinds of expert advice from those who NEVER even sat on the brands they slam. They just repeat what is written in magazines. Follow the herd and you might miss on a the bike that acually works best for you.

------------------
2001 VOR503 V-Cross
1982 husqvarna XC430
1974 Bultaco Frontera 360
6 Kids, Four Ride, 3 race. (cr125, yz80, 2 KX125's)
Case 780, INT 1066, Ford LTL9000...and a Percheron

[This message has been edited by weimedog (edited 04-15-2001).]

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I told you you'd get a ton of replies on this! I might be riding at Dyracuse this weekend if they are open if you want to try my YZ400. I put 70 miles on it Saturday and now I know why they call it a "3 stroke". It hauls! P.S.To all the guys who mentioned it, yes he does look funny on a puny 125!!! LOL

------------------

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I forgot to mention - I installed stiffer springs front & rear on the WR. I used RaceTech's on-line guide/form to select the rates - don't remember what they are.

Brian

------------------
'99 WR400 - dual sport
'90 KX500
'92 XR250R - dual sport, wife's bike (I ride it more than she does because it goes ANYWHERE)

Hawaii-Rider

Feb 24, 2001
Love this place........
opinions are like........well I wont go there
:)
My $.02
6'3" 215+ (no comments)
Riding, most of my life....( yeah I am 40......again no comments)
Own and race a CR500 set up for the woods but still moto as well. Bike is maxed out and has more power than you should have unless your name is Decoster, Ward...you get the idea. Love it and has more than enough to haul me around with ease......but.
I just bought two new machines after reading this forum and tons o' research.
Got the WR-250.
Regardless of what people say, the WR flys faster than I would offer that 95% of the people on this forum can ride (me included, so that is not meant as mean, just the truth, been riding long enough and most people think they are way faster than they really are). I would offer that top end wide out on mine is pushing between 85-90 mph and pulls me there with authority (I plan on GPSing it next weekend and see)
I have no dissapointment with the WR and coming from the CR-500 beast, I love the handling, low weight, ability to move it around, and most importantly the power doesnt hammer you into submission at the end of a long day; built well and it flat hauls butt. In the woods/rocks/tight stuff this is the bike. I have ridden the 4xx series of the WRs, YZs and every form of two stroke, and if I could only have one, it would be this one (WR-250) Yep my 500 in current form is a hooot, but I have ridden 100 mile grand prixs and at about mile 60 or so, the HP (that everyone thinks you need) wears you down and kills a lot of the fun factor.
Dirt Bike mag did a test about a year ago with Scott Summers, and about 4-5 other top riders. They were on a woods loop in KY, Summer's back yard....they had a stock XR250, XR400 and a mod'ed XR280 and I believe it was a XR-440. In the end almost everyone of the riders posted their fastest times on the 280......hmmmm 250 wasnt far behind.
Summary was weight and power delivery/quality suspension, not raw/total HP is what was key......there is only so much you can use unless your McGrath or something....and if we were...we wouldnt be dreaming on this forum....

Good luck on your choice and ride........
Take care.....
HR

------------------
CR-500
Maxed out to run in the woods........and now the new toys.....WR250F added to the stable (stock for now) :)

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
VEEERRRY well said Hawaii-rider!

My thoughts exactly!

------------------
Don't worry, it only seems kinky the first time..

AMA Member
Blue Ribbon Member
Colo. Off-Highway Vechicle Coaliation member
One of the first 25 DRN Members (I'm proudest of this one!)

dbd

Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by Gary B.:
I told you you'd get a ton of replies on this! I might be riding at Dyracuse this weekend if they are open if you want to try my YZ400. I put 70 miles on it Saturday and now I know why they call it a "3 stroke". It hauls! P.S.To all the guys who mentioned it, yes he does look funny on a puny 125!!! LOL

thanks solar panel dude .but really don't think dyracuse will be dry enough for a snowboard let alone a dirtbike .you better call first.let me know. dbd

------------------

Top Bottom