mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
I am putting on new renthal handlebars and I was wondering how hard it is to put on new handlebars, since I have never done it before. I have a 2002 KX 250.

I see that I will have to take off the brake cable/resivor, along with the throttle assembly, etc.

Is this a hard task to do? Are there any do's or don'ts or tricks I should know about? Or is it just a matter of ripping everything off and then putting it back on the exact same way? Also, I am going to put on a new clutch lever while I'm at it, since that got bent as well.

Lastly, is it alot harder to bend renthal handlebars than the stock ones? becuase the stock ones seem to bend very easy.

Thank you very much for any help guys!

B

biglou

The Renthals will hold up much better than the stock bars for sure. Replacing bars is pretty straightforward. Remove the clutch and brake perches, the kill switch, loosen the throttle mount screws then remove the two caps that clamp the bars to the top triple clamp. You will have to remove the bars from their mount before you can get the throttle assy off. There is most likely not enough slack in the cable to pull it off with the bars mounted. Pay attention to how all your cables are routed before you start pulling things off. Once the old bars are off, just reverse the procedure to install the Renthals. Make sure they are centered left to right (they should have marks to assist with this) then adjust their "pitch" to suit you, then tighten the clamp bolts down to the proper torque, and put the pad on.

When you're done, make sure the throttle isn't binding (pushed on too far and clamped down) by twisting it fully and releasing. It should snap back. You'll also want to start it up and turn the bars full left and full right to make sure there is enough slack in the cables-especially the throttle. If not, it will rev when turned-not good while riding!

morbidsmurf

Oct 23, 2003
also to avoid bending my clutch wrap some teflon tape on the bar before you bolt on the clutch perch. when you hit the ground the perch will twist on the bar insted of the lever breaking/bending. you can find the tape at any hardware store. it is ussally used for plumbing. it is white and thin.

Top Bottom