Question for Calif. Dual-sporters

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I've been toying with the idea of converting my green-sticker KTM to a dual-sporter. What I need to know is, will I need an Adventure Pass once it's street licensed if I ride the forest areas.
I noticed on a dual-sporter I once saw there was a sticker on the fork leg that looked like an adventure pass, and I talked to another rider that got a ticket on a Dual-sporter for not having a pass.
There is a lot of confusion on the enforcement, ( parked vehicle vs. non-parked vehicle), so I need some clarification.
Anyone out there know?

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
One of our Project managers does a lot of dual riding and does not have the adventure pass and has been doing it for years.

He turned me on to this site http://www.dualdogs.com/

Have fun, it looks like a blast

EM rider

Apr 27, 2001
I have a green sticker 400 EXC on order and am also thinking of converting for DS use. The Forest Service adventure pass website www.fsadventurepass.com is vague about whether or not DS bikes with plates need a pass.

My guess is that it all depends on how the ranger feels if/when you get stopped. That said, it only costs $30 for a full year pass and I'll bet the ticket for not having a pass costs more than $30. Since the $$$ are used to support the Natl. Forest recreational areas I ride in, I'll gladly pay and not worry about getting a ticket.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
ktmboy/man?

I was told by a ranger, if you are just riding thru the forest, you don't need an Adventure pass. If you stop and recreate, or in other words, have a picnic or something like that, then you do need a pass.

As soon as they figure out that we are recreating by just riding thru, I'm sure they will figure out a way to charge us for that too.:think

IMO. We pay for the forest thru our taxes and also thru green sticker funds and now the Adventure pass program and they still say they don't have enough money to maintain the forests. How many ways can they tax us for the same thing and why is there no money? Where did it go???:(

jamsxr

Dec 4, 1999
Scenic Tax--

In a way I support the theory that user's pay for the use instead of someone from New York City who has and never will be in the forest have to pay taxes to support our recreation.

But, Like you said Ol', where is all the money they already collected?

Think maybe it was used up settling claims in New Mexico last year when the Forest Service almost burned the state down? :think

I am not familiar with this "Adventure pass", but I know if it is the same thing up here if you don't have a $3.00 day pass while driving through the Forest -- then you better not stop in a pull off they can give you a ticket for $100.00.:eek:

Kyron

Feb 3, 2001
I hope everyone read that link above....

Just another way the gov tries to take our money to be used against us!!

If you have your bike street registered, get a non-op on your green sticker and send the money saved to the BRC. The Blue Ribbon Coliation will do more with that money than the gov will

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
KTM, I talked with Jim Underwood with the Big Bear Forestry. He said that bike/quad riders aren't required to have the AdPass. Parked four wheeled licensed vehicles must have them. I'd bet that interpretations and enforcement are inconsistent though.

Dave'sDRZ

Mar 28, 2000
Plated dualsport bikes do need an Adventure Pass if they stop in a National Forrest requiring them. As I remember, the first pass costs about $30 and then you can get extra vehicle passes (I think up to 5) for $5. Our group just buys all the passes and then splits the cost--makes it a little cheaper that way. Enforcement has been very erratic--I've seen every vehicle in a parking area recieve a warning ticket and the next time the rangers don't seem to care. There is no doubt where the money goes, the same place most of our tax money goes, to administration.

KTMrad

Mar 20, 2001
I've been riding in Nat'l Forests on a Dual Sport for over 6 years, never got an Adventure Pass, have never been asked for one, even when talking to Rangers.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
After reading all the answers, I think if I do the conversion I'll buy 2 to be safe- one for the bike carrier, and one for the bike.:)

Kyron

Feb 3, 2001
Dam Boy thats just how they like there sheep to follow, never questioning OR standing up to opose when you are being WRONGED....

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
The other option is what I've always done up to now: Catch me if you can! I'm getting to old to run anymore.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Hey fruitcake, forget the adventure pass, sounds like something from Disneyland! Do you get a free hat and bowl of soup with that? Wow, that sticker looks good on you, does it come in a man's size?! I know you are track weary but I'll tell you what. If you try the track with us some weekday, I'll bring you an adventure pass made especially for you! Who loves you baby?

Elk

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Land on the back!

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I do! The front end has to come down some time, and that's when I suffer!
Maybe a diet and excercise program would be cheaper, and as an added bonus the horsepower to weight ratio of my bike woulld improve. Hmmm...:confused:

Top Bottom