questions about padded riding shorts

Paul1212

Sep 26, 2005
I’m trying to decide on some padded shorts to order. I’d like something with removable padding (especially in the hips) that is fairly cool. Here’s what I’ve seen so far:
EVS PP02 Impact Shorts – removable “impact pads” in hips and tailbone
O’neal Compression Shorts – removable “dense foam padding” in tail, hip and thigh
Troy Lee Padded Impact Off-Road Shorts – removable “air-incapsulated high-impact foam” in hip, thigh and tailbone
MSR Impact Shorts – removable “biofoam hip pads”

I live in Thailand so have to decide what to get by just checking websites and asking for help at motorcycle forums like this one. Does anyone have any experience with any of these padded shorts?

I’ve surfed Google looking for reviews and comments at motorcycle forums, and have found several praising the EVS padded shorts. I haven’t seen any opinions on the other three I’ve listed. In the picture, it looks like the padding in the MSR shorts doesn’t go far back enough on the hip (though it’s hard to tell for sure because the picture isn’t very good). Also, the Troy Lee shorts look kind of hot in the picture (though the write-up says they’re lycra and vented). I remember reading some negative things about Troy Lee workmanship once (regarding some of their knee guards). Just looking at website ads, it looks to me like the EVS and the O’neal might be best. It looks like the O’neal has a genuine butt pad (padding the butt checks) and the EVS just has a tailbone pad.
Would a larger butt pad like the O’neal help reduce monkey butt (sweating and itching) or would it tend to make it worse by causing more sweating? (I live in a very hot climate).

Thanks for any help anyone can give.
- Paul

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
I have a few pairs of the MSR Impact shorts. The hip pads are removable, but the tailbone pad is not. In addition, there is also padding in the crotch area so they kind of feel like wearing a diaper at first. But once I was riding, I no longer noticed them. And if you manage to scare the pee out of yourself, at least it won't run down your leg. ;)

Padding won't do squat to prevent "monkey butt." The only thing to prevent it is keeping your skin dry. Talcum powder works well for this. Even better is Anti-Monkey Butt Powder (yes, I'm serious), but you'll definitely have to mail order that stuff. It's a combination of talcum powder and a powdered form of calimine lotion (like you use on poison ivy).

crrod

Aug 14, 2006
What is the best padded shorts for tail bone protection?

Mine is sore and bruised. Really wanting some padded shorts with excellent tail bone protection. Apparently, after having done the same thing two days in a row my tail bone really needs some help.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
What is the best padded shorts for tail bone protection?
Stand-up more :) . Seriously.

I don't think there is anything out there that will protect the tail bone in any substantial way.

crrod

Aug 14, 2006
My tailbone isn't sore from sitting, it is sore from landing on it when I landed the bike in the 12 o'clock position. I stand most of the time except when riding in corners.

Paul1212

Sep 26, 2005
Crrod: You might want to check out the following links. I haven't tried any of these, but they look pretty good. Maybe some other folks have tried some of these. I got the EVS PP02 Impact shorts, but the padding is pretty thin in them.
- Paul

Bohn Adventure Shorts, $89:
http://www.actionstation.com/catalog/proddetail.php?prod=BGK

RockGard CYA shorts, $59:
http://www.rockgardn.com/items/body-armor/cya-shorts-cya-shorts-detail.htm

**Hillbilly Padded shorts, $60, really thick looking:
http://www.hillbillydirtgear.com/product/pads.html

Skeletools padded shorts, $95:
http://www.skeletools.com/shorts.html

Dirty Dave

Sponsoring Member
Jul 31, 1999
For the last couple of years i have been wearing a combo 'compression/sliding' short designed for baseball/softball players. They are very comfortable and having 'field tested' :think: them on numerous occasions the hip and thigh coverage is great. As a secondary value they cost about half of the brand name motorcycle padded shorts. :cool:

decade377

Dec 17, 2006
I'll add another brand to the discussion. I have been using SixSixOne's padded shorts for the last 2 years. They work well,have held up to "field" testing, and are comfortable. The pads are not removable so I just toss them in the washer. They also have a small pad in the tail bone area. The down side? I have to wear a larger size riding pant to fit over them,(34 without the shorts,36 with).

scottkx28

Oct 7, 2008
Does anyone know of any riding shorts that don't go up past your belly button? I ordered the Thor riding shorts and they were super tall. They were literally past my belly button and half way up my back. I returned those and got the EVS PP01 only to find out that they are almost as bad. I normally wear a pair of Under Armour compression shorts and they fit perfect but don't have any padding. I am hoping to find some that aren't so tall that they have to be pulled up to my chest or else the crotch hangs down half way to my knees. If anyone has any suggestions then please let me know.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Get those ones from Fredericks of Hollywood with the padded azz cheeks. It could help if you go for the extra badonkadonk look.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
VintageDirt said:
Get those ones from Fredericks of Hollywood with the padded azz cheeks. It could help if you go for the extra badonkadonk look.

Frederick's? I thought you were sponsored by Victoria's Secret!

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
GETMETOCA said:
Frederick's? I thought you were sponsored by Victoria's Secret!
Well they dumped me when I got older and slower and fatter and meaner. Fred's picked up my contract so that's good. Of course Freddie's ain't quite as classy as Victoria's.

Top Bottom