Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
I posted something similar to this on thumper talk, but didn't get any real advice. I currently have a 1999 XR400. I've only had it for a month or so and it's a very nice bike and in great shape. I had a 96 KDX200 about 10 years ago as my first bike. I believe my KIPS wasn't working because the bike wasn't very quick at all. Does a stock 200 have any kind of hit to it? Mine had good low and mid, but when revved up it went flat and it seemed better off to shift. The sound of the engine never changed like it was getting on the pipe.

I like my 400 but I miss 2 strokes. I like the snap and how the back tire breaks loose. The 400 is great for making me look better at climbing hills, the torque is nice. It just doesn't have that top end pull. My KDX didn't either but I'm not sure if that was normal or if it was messed up.

I'm not looking to start a brand war just wanting some opinions on how the KDX should run. I wish I knew more about that bike when I had it but it was my first and I had nothing to compare it to. I guess my only complaints with the XR are the weight, the lack of "snap," and that if I lay it down its a PITA to get restarted. Mine does start easily cold, and hot as long as I shut it off. But when it's dropped it takes about 20 kicks and a lot of choice words.

Thanks, looking forward to the replies.

Joey

EYY

May 22, 2010
Hi mate, The kdx's have a pretty soft power curve when standard, and don't really have a noticeable 'hit', well at least mine didnt anyway. Even though standard, I could ride mine faster than I could ride an xr400 due to the Kdx being so light.

They have decent power standard, so yours might have not been running as well as it could have been. It might have needed a top end rebuild, or proper jetting. As you have already mentioned, the kips would definitely cause this.

With a pipe and carbon fibre reeds, my bike easily keeps up with crf250's and xr400's. I'd have a Kdx over an xr anyway

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
The KDX I had definitely would not keep up with my XR, not even close. I also realize that a KDX doesn't hit hard like an MXer, but I figured the sound of the engine would change a little and it will pull pretty good on the top end. I did play with the jetting on mine when I had it and it didn't help anything so I'm thinking it was the KIPS.

I just wanted to kind of see what everybody said and compare the two bikes a little. I'm really leaning toward trying to sell my XR and pick up a KDX and maybe make a few $$$ out of the deal.

Edit- I should have mentioned I just ride trails for fun. As of now I don plan on any racing, and I'm not into mx at all (hence the bike choices). I'm 6' 200lbs. I don't care about being the fastest guy on the trails, it's all about getting out of the house and having a good time.

pistons

Mar 29, 2008
I have a WR250 registered 2 stroke, power wise its the closest registered dirtbike I have ridden to a propper motoX bike. When the powerband kicks in all hell breaks loose, its great.
BUT I would never sell my KDX200, with a aftermarket exhaust pipe the powerband is more noticable and the pipe definatly gives it more kick. Also the KDX is so compfy to ride compared to my WR I could ride the KDX all day long.

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
That sounds like what I needed to know. I'm not looking for 250 power, it's too much for me. A 125 has the right amount of power, if it just had some torque to go with it I'd look into them more. I figured a 200 would be perfect for me. Like I said I'm not looking to win races or prove anything I just want to have fun. The XR is nice but its a little to smooth. It's a little like riding a giant xr80. It has plenty of power for me, but the way it comes on isn't that exciting I guess is the way to put it.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
EYY said:
With a pipe and carbon fibre reeds, my bike easily keeps up with crf250's

My KDX200 has been pretty soft from day one (I bought it new)....no hit on the top end.
I've ridden CRF250's....there is no way a KDX200 can accelerate with one of those, as long as the 250 rider was opening the throttle completely.

Dec 15, 2010
the kdx either 200 or 220 are an excellent trail bike that can easy be tweeked to perform & handle better than standard, they are tough as boots & being a 2 stroke they are easy & cheap to service & rebuild unlike 4 strokes!..on the trails they start well should you stall, easy to ride & after a days riding, wont tire you out like a more powerful bike would..it doesnt matter how old you are or what level of skill you have a kdx is just a good all round bike which does what it says on the tin..& more! :cool:

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
Thanks for the help. Basically what I want is the bike I have now but a little lighter, and a little more exciting. Faster isn't necessarily what I mean by exciting I guess just something a little more responsive.

EYY

May 22, 2010
mudpack said:
...there is no way a KDX200 can accelerate with one of those, as long as the 250 rider was opening the throttle completely.
I haven't raced against a crf250 in a straight line, but have with a yz250f and it was neck and neck. The kdx's definitely will keep up if you're a good enough rider. But you have to do a lot more work riding it than the other guy on the 250f.

I'm definitely not saying they're faster, just that the difference in overall power isn't huge between them when the Kdx has been modified. Most people couldn't hold a 250f or 450f pinned for a long time anyway.

EYY

May 22, 2010
Have you considered a ktm200? They have great power, suspension and reliability. They're definitely a bike to consider

Dec 15, 2010
i guess it all depends on how much money you wish to spend & what experience you have , you can pick up a kdx in reasonable condition for not much money but they are getting on a bit & will probably have the odd war wound (like many bikes) having said that i have seen some really good examples going...ktm make an awesome weapon 200s are very good albeit quite snappy, the 300s on the other hand are not much heavier or taller but these motors are really good & dispite the cc size very easy to ride & not as vicious as you may think as the power delivery builds from down low in the rev range with lots of torque almost like a 4 stroke..the newer bikes also come with a push button start too. :cool:

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
Well if I get one I'm gonna have to either trade my XR or sell it and find something else. I think I could get around $1800 for it but I'm not sure. Probably not the best time of year to sell one.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
EYY said:
I haven't raced against a crf250 in a straight line, but have with a yz250f and it was neck and neck.
Then the 250's rider was not getting full performance from his machine; a YZ250F makes FAR more power than even a modified KDX200.
We are talking two different things: one; power (accelerative capability) of the bike...and two; rider capabililty.

Rider capability is everything. A bike's power is minor in comparison.

EYY

May 22, 2010
mudpack said:
Rider capability is everything. A bike's power is minor in comparison.

That's pretty much exactly what I said mate.

The kdx's are no slug though, as you make them out to be. Unless of course you've only ridden kdx's that have been poorly set up or have never had a top end in their life.

I never made any definite statements in regards to the Kdx, and I was talking about MY experience only.

Top Bottom