Votes: 146 19.3%
  • I have both

Votes: 157 20.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vetexrcr

Jul 18, 2001
Two strokes are being pushed out by smog and enviro-politics,not because a four stroke has an edge. The two stroke was the NEW thing back in the late sixties/early seventies. I will be forced on to a low horsepower/high weight four stroke by california laws not because of an edge.
Read a moto results page, mainly two strokes still winning.
I currently ride a kx500 with close to 70hp, there is not a prodution four stroke that is close to it (way out west) in power to weight and handling.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
This is, of course, one of my favorite subjects. I currently have a Husky 360 2 stroke. Because it is powervalved and well designed, the spread of power is remarkable. It pulls strongly at idle and revs out to just over 10500 RPM. That makes the torque curve as wide as many 4 strokes.

I do not race anymore due to a weak heart, so the class rules 125/250 2t/4t and 250 2t vs 450 4t kind of annoy me. By any valid method of comparison I can think of the 2 stroke is still king. Compare by weight, ignoring displacement (weight is a big issue with me and sugar sand) or compare by displacement. Another method is to compare by peak HP. Any way you slice it the 2 stroke has an advantage.

Although my Husky has reached the twilight of it's life, the wonderful engine is worth mention. The 360 2t does not fit well in any class, and so is really destined to be just a play bike. But what a great one!

My next bike will be a 525EXC which weighs more, is slower and more expensive.

Chris

Chris

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Am I really the only one around that has popped for the Acme 3 stroke adapter conversion kit???  It's the best of both worlds! :yeehaw:

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
I have quite a mix. A variety of 4-strokes and 2- strokes. When I ride with a group (like last year with DRN's Paragon PA) I ride my 2002 VOR 450EN. Fast enough, handles well, can keep up with the more aggressive & younger riders, looks right, etc,etc. Its the ego bike. The "go to" machine when reliability and capability counts.

When I just trail ride (which is most of the time) I use my 1982 Husqvarna XC430. Its built to the point where other than vibration, its not at too much of a dissadvantage. Its also the vintage race bike of choice for the moment.

When I race with the kids the job is done with my 2001 VOR 503 V-cross. I know all those VOR guys may go on about the new design...I have many reasons to rely on the 2001. And it is setup well enough to where it also isn't a dissadvantge in race situations vs. the new stuff.

My current project to obsolete ALL those is a pair of 1979 KTM 420's. When I get them on line and a source of parts all the rest will collect dust.

2stroke vs 4-stroke? I couldn't care less what motor style. Too old to wast time in analysis. I just pick what gives me the most fun for the situation.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I started out on 4s', with an XR500 being my last thumper before switching to KTMs, first a 250MX, and now the 360. The 360 motor is magic as you can short-shift and use the 4-stroke like torque, or you can rev it and enjoy the instant hit. The most magical thing it does though that a 4 won't do is allows you to chop the throttle on a nasty uphill, then get back on it and accelerate!

grass-digger

Oct 21, 2001
i curently own a 1999cr250 witch is preatty tricked out and my 03crf will smoke it powerwise, but my cr is esier to handle but if i had to choose between both of them i would go with my 4 stroke never thought i would go this route but it happened and i'm happy about it!

Flying Fig

Nov 20, 2003
IF YOU ENJOY FLYING ACROSS THE DESERT AT 100 MPH THEN YOU NEED TO GO WITH A FOUR STROKE BUT FOR TRACK AND WOODS I WOULD GO WITH A TWO.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
cujet--I always appreciate reading what you have to say. That was interesting--however, as we both know the performance of these motors has nothing to do with where we're going.

vetexrcr--I understand your frustration, but the 'and handling' part of your last statement is 'querisome' :think: I can tell you for sure that my KX500 pales in comparison to a KTM450SX, and CRF450, both of which I rode. Another way to look at it is consider that these thumpers are active on SX tracks. When's the last time you saw a KX500 on an SX track? Jeff Ward in the 80's/early 90's?

On the other hand, on the same day of riding it, I had no trouble burying that same CRF @wfo.

Just start buying cylinders, pistons and the like and you'll easily be able to keep a KX500 around for a long time.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Well, I can hope can't I?

I have to desire the impossible or improbable!

Funny how my thoughts on the subject go. About 15, but not quite 20 years ago, I wrote Honda asking them to build a truly high performance 4 stroke bike. At the time, they were starting to build the XR lineup into a great series of trail bikes. I asked Honda to keep it light using technology, use motocross suspenders, and make something truly spectacular. Believe it or not, Honda had the technology to do the job in the early 1980's. They chose to wait until Yamaha did it first near the year 2000.

So in fact it seems to me that Honda was willing to play follow the leader for years.

In addition, a careful review and change of the rulebook was required.

Chris

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
4 stroke 4 me, I had both strokes (XR600 and KX250) and was trying to sell both and found that it was not near as easy as it used to be. Then came upon a deal I could not pass up, and traded for the 525SX.

Since I only playride, I really don't care which one is the most 'competitive', but I am really having a blast on the big pumpkin!

GASGAS18

Apr 25, 2002
I have been going back and forth for a while

currently i have a 04 KTM 200exc ,00 gasgas ec200, 85 odyssey fl350
my bro - 04 KTM 450EXC, 99 ktm 250exc 03 Beta 270
but mainly we have 2smokes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom