sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
i got nuthin and i ride like a spaz. so where's the justice? i can make a bomb out'a an el-marko tho. that's gotta be worth something for God sakes.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Well let's see, my dad has a Business degree and my mom has a Chemical Engineering degree, both from UT Austin. My dad ended up going to junior college to get some computer certs about 8 years ago and now is a full on computer geek. Then I'm in junior college right now (early high school grad, last Nov) taking a few hours on the cheap before I go to UT Austin to work on a Civil Engineering degree in the fall (of course that will probably change).

Jeffd has some degree too, I think. I think he told me he went to Stephen F. Austin.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
BS in Architecture from UT Almost although I learned more in one day on a construction site than I did in 4 years of school.

Started riding bikes while in college. Most of my friends then were construction workers that spent all their money on bikes, beer and women (in that order).

Don't know how many of my NTSP friends have degrees although they all have dirtbikes. :thumb:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
BSBA - Finance major, accounting minor. First job out of college was developing engine diagnostic software for Chrysler. Huh? :think:

By the time I "discovered" that my true interest was in software development, I already had a fair amount of credits towards my declared major. That, and well into 4 years of a 5 year program, my credit cards could no longer afford to keep me in the lifestyle to which I had become accustomed (Old Milwaukee Best and Mac-n-Cheese).

College to me was not about a paper degree, but learning how to set and attain goals, challenge yourself, and learn about people and life survival skills. Just practice really to help prepare you for the real world. The academic aspect was actually a very small part of the overall experience - one of the best in my life, even today. And it was also the best return on financial investment. Plus, I met my wife there!

As far as riding dirt bikes, ironically it was going to college that began a 20-year absence from the sport. Couldn't afford it #1, but also there were so many other new things to experience in college, and in being a young adult in general. Glad I "rediscovered" it though!

Rut Rider

Sep 12, 2001
AS Electronics Engineering Technology (Mitchell Community College, Statesville, NC)

BS Electronics Engineering Technology (Western Carolina University, Cullowhee NC)

Currently working on MBA (Gardner-Webb University, Boiling Springs, NC)

I like to twist it just as much as anyone else out there. I have a few riding buddies with degrees. But, most of us having been riding since we were old enough to walk.

linusb

~SPONSOR~
Apr 20, 2002
I graduated with a BS in Finance and Mgmt Science and it only took 14 years. Thinking about going for an MBA. I figure I should finish by the time I retire.

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
I've only got one more year to go until I have my B.A. in Marketing, and by the looks of things I might be able to have a permanent job here at Mechanix Wear doing marketing for them. I'm only in the Warehouse right now, but things have been said that make me think that I might make it into the office once I have my paper.

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
Well, I started life as a machinist, then went back to school for a Mechanical Engineering Technologist cert. Been working in the turbine manufacturing repair industry for 12 years.
Regarding paper....I know a guy that installs turbine blades for a major US manufacturer. He keeps more in his checking account than I gross in two years. That's my kinda paper...

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Me, BS in Electrical Engineering Technology (with honors).  Not like I've used it much the past few years.  I'm just stagnating right now.  :think:

Dave has a BA in Journalism (Photography emphasis-- :)  )  But he's now an IT manager for a small commercial printer.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Truth of the matter is ... completing the degree simply proves you have the willpower to persevere.

Most of us don't do what we learned to do in college. Many of us did learn the fine art of giving the prof what is bias wanted to see. ;)

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Bachelors degree in Civil and Environmantal Engineering from the University of Washington. Just got my Washington State Professional Engineer license, guess I'm dangerous now.

I've always loved playing in the mud and as a civil I get to deal with all kinds of dirt... should always be employed too.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
for me, college didn't really prove anything.  Academic wise, just jumping through some hoops laid in front of me by society.  With no additional tuition cost, I could have walked away with so much more...but, no regrets.

Socially, wow, what an excellent experience!

Overall, I partied, slacked off a lot, slacked off a bit more, and did a very minimal amount of studying.  In the 5 years I was in college, I think I studied no more than 7.4 minutes when I wasn't either sipping a drink, or listening to loud rock music, or both!  I'm not proud of that.  Thermodynamics almost delayed me another semester!

I don't think any of my riding friends (other than DRN) have a degree.  I will admit, with some of them, I feel we don't have much in common other than we both like to ride.  But, we both like to ride! 

Let's ride!  Screw the differential equations!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I've got my A.A.S and my B.S. and ride. I love to ride!

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
(Old Milwaukee Best and Mac-n-Cheese).

I think I have ya beat Smit-Dog: 'Schaef-light' and Ramen

The originator of this thread wanted to make it clear that this is no braggin' contest, and I'd like to reinforce that statement by saying that my father (HS education, Army, American Farmer) puts me to shame when it comes to brain matter quality. Every damn time he comes over to see the grandkids, he drills me about something or other. This week thus far: ion exchange resins, and electrolysis for the generation of hydrogen fuel.

I think as people have inferred above, it's mostly desire to learn and do right, and less about education. I was in school until I was 33, and I'm still a firm believer in that.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Very good points, Doc. Higher learning does not require a degree just the desire to obtain it.
Besides, after majoring in alcohol consumsion for two semisters, learning not to drink so much was the best lesson I learned. But I must admit, there is no better meal the Hideaway Pizza and Bud on tap.

Last edited:

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by LoriKTM
Dave has a BA in Journalism (Photography emphasis-- :)  )  But he's now an IT manager for a small commercial printer.

I'm in a similar situation there...

BA in Communications - Radio/TV/Film. But now I am a former IT Director now working as a consultant in IT Infrastructure.

-jeffd

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
Gomer you crack me up. Actually I did not go to Clemins I did not think they accepted students who could already read and write. I went to Winthrop for 2 reasons, 12 to 1 ratio of girls to guys and the Rock Hill MX Park was only 10 minutes away. Also there were alot of MX tracks in the general vicinity, Montrose, Hell Hole, Metrolina Fairgrounds and Silver Sands.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I'm one of those NON-degree dumb guys. :) I work in the Semiconductor industry and almost everyone of my co-workers has atleast an AS in either applied science or electronics. Most people are shocked when they find out that I have a HS diploma and nothing more. I just smile and say,"Yeah I know, I got lucky." :)

I'd like to go back to college at some point and alteast pick up an AS of some sort. I can't complain over how I've done with a lack of a degree but I can easily see where picking up an AS or above would give me that much more.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
How about the women with degrees? I only saw 2 reply to this thread. I think my a couple of my riding buddies have degrees, and both of them are chicks--Lori is a construction estimator (not sure of the title of her degree) and Lacey just graduated with her teaching degree. Both are very good riders too, Lori on trails, Lacey on the track.

I have a BA in Journalism (Eastern WA University, the cheap state school that nobody cares about) but I'm not using it right now. I'd like to be but I was STUPID STUPID STUPID and gave up a very good job for a very poor reason. Now I work in a billing office as a brainless drone and I hate it. I've sent out resumes to a handful of intruiging opportunities though, cross your fingers for me.

I hated college. I worked full time through 3 years of it (the first 2 were at community college doing Running Start, so I was still in high school technically and living at home). I didn't party--well, I did, but not like the 'typical' student--live in dorms, go to games or dances or do any normal college student stuff. I didn't even hang out with anyone from my classes. I was so glad it was over. I didn't even go to my graduation ceremony.

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
Hmmm....
Lemme tell ya my story man....
I was going to go to college right out of high school for computer science. Had tremendous scores on every standardized test I ever took. Wanted to be a programer. This was in 1989. I would of graduated in '93, and been there for the whole explosion of the Internet etc.....

As it turned out, I got married late that summer when I was 18. Got a full time job, and Ive never looked back. Im 32 now, still married (to the same woman!) and I've got 5 kids as well.

About 5 years ago, I started taking classes and working towards a degree in Data Communiations Technology. Planned to change careers. You all remember, 5 years ago, if you even knew your way around the latest version of Windows, you could get a decent job. By now, even though the radio commercials all tease you about how much a "Micosoft Certified blah blah" can make, the competition in the field has grown tremendously.

Meanwhile, I've been working in the print industry the last 9 years.

Am I gonna change careers when I get the degree? HELL NO! Not unless I want to take a 50% pay cut! It seems somewhere along the way Ive achieved a bit of sucess in my current career, and at this point, the degree will simply hang on my wall. College is pretty much a hobby to me at this point.

Well, for the future, I was thinking of a BS in technology management...can get the whole thing online from Penn State! Hmm BS is right!

Either way, Im not sure just what the implication of the original message was, but I am at the extreme upper tip of the bell curve despite my lack of degrees, and I will ride as long as I am physically capable of doing so.
So, do smart people ride? Damn right!

Top Bottom