motodawg

Sponsoring Member
May 1, 2002
RacerX's online 450 review/shootout picked the KX450F as the No.1 450 MXer for 2006. The YZ450F was second. No one I know has even seen the YZ yet, but I told you that the Kawi was bad to the bone! One racer we know picked his up one morning and successfully raced it at an AX that evening. They are that good out of the crate! Super motor! I sure hope our YZ is that fast. The boy wanted to stay true blue.. er, yellow, though.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
what was the knock on the YZF, was it a close second or some flaws that can be easily compensated? I didnt see the review on the online site.
Disregard.. I went to the site and used the search function and found it.
Pretty much states that the Yami is good in everything, doesnt "shine" in motor or handling (behind the honda motor and Kawi handling), but doesn't not do well in anything either.
I will take a close second anyday, I am not a racer and this bike seems with the 5 speed tranny to be a better choice for me riding mx/ and occasional trail (havent been on a trail in a couple years though).
Crazy how things have changed over the years (just reviews). The Honda was always known for being light and having a smooth motor-not the most powerful compared to the arm jerking, heavy-tall yz426s and 450fs. Now the say the Honda has the most powerful motor and the Yami has a smooth and mellow motor and feels very light.
Being a novice myself, I would have to think all the 450 bikes have "enough motor for me". I am kinda happy to hear the yz is very handible, light and smooth.
thanks for the heads up on the post motodawg. I think I should hang in there and get the bike I have waited 3 years to come out, esp since it is the yellow/black one..
....p.s. that kawi review is awesome and also made it tough for me because a friends friend is selling one he just bought, knowing I can get it for probably $1500 less that yami makes it appealable, but will stick to the yami. I like the fact that over the years the Yami has had great reliability traits with the motor. I know this yami is new this year, but the Kawi is new from scratch is unknown with future motor issues. Hats off to Kawi for doing their homework. Even though they waited the longest to put theirs out, at least it wasnt a half-hearted effort.

Last edited:

motodawg

Sponsoring Member
May 1, 2002
I helped out at the dealership today (parts counter) as they were short-handed. When the young man, another intermediate MXer we know, came to pick up his YZ450F the sales folks were buried in Xmas shoppers so I grabbed the manual and went through the new oil change drill with them. Interesting! Two drain plugs, one on each side; oil filter is the same; dipstick is on the top of the left case half, just in front of the cylinder - maybe in the path of an errant roost rock... AND if you look at the pictures of it on the Yamaha website it really doesn't have an upper glide/bash plate in front of the cylinder/crankcase area. This leaves a probable place for mud and rocks to get in between the bottom glide plate and the cases, maybe even allow damage from large, hard driven rocks from the 450 in front of you! Let's hope the aftermarket gets this taken care of quickly. Lightspeed is already listing some stuff for the '06, but no pictures to see how much it covers. Besides, carbon fiber is so pricey... you gotta bet Works Connections has something about to release.

Last edited:

Top Bottom