Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Anyone know of another radiator cap that will fit my '01 200 that has a higher pop pressure?  I'm having trouble overheating on big long uphills.   I've tried water  wetter and about a 80/20 mix of water/coolant and it still overheats ALL the time.

outrgus

Jan 15, 2003
replace your water/coolant mix with some evans and you will never have a problem again. i think the web site is evans.com for more info.i us this in my bike and 68 mustang and never have had a over heating problem.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
I've been looking at the Evans as an alternative. $20 somethin' a gallon....whew...wee. I'm a little worried that with such a high boiling point my engine might run hotter. Is it all its cracked up to be?

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by Braahp
I've been looking at the Evans as an alternative. $20 somethin' a gallon....whew...wee. I'm a little worried that with such a high boiling point my engine might run hotter. Is it all its cracked up to be?
Honda has a 1.9 cap but if you think $20 is expensive you'd better not go there. Besides, it will only delay your boiling by 2 or 3 minutes. Your engine IS [not might be] running hotter now and once boiling, certain areas go way off of the charts. This causes uneven expansions & contractions in the cylinder walls and will possibly result in a cracked cylinder [sales tax alone will exceed $20 on this repair bill] To a point, a hotter running engine is more efficient and delivers more power than a cooler one . Most importantly, the Evans product will keep the temperature UNIFORM throughout the head & cylinder.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
I think $20 is expensive for coolant but I'd give $100 for it if I knew it worked as good as claimed. What about Engine Ice?......Will it help much?

s.d.duner

Oct 28, 2003
i use maxima coolanol with the stock cap and havent had a problem even in some dunes. But my bikes a 250 so maybe it doesnt work as hard. my cap doesn't say the pressure rating on it so I don't know what it is though. If you use coolanol, DO NOT DILUTE IT, use as is.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
While cleaning out my garage, I stumbled upon a radiator cap from my son's Mazda B2600i truck. I thought it looked familiar and compaired it to my KDX cap. They are exactly the same except for the pressure rating. Check out a local auto parts dealer with the KDX cap in hand and start comparing.
BTW, the cap was labeled as .9, whereas the KDX was 1.1. I used it all day today and did notice it vented to the overflow easier. Keep in mind that a cap with a higher pressure rating might cause you to blow out one of the plastic plugs on the radiator when out on the trail. Be careful!
I use EVANS. It is great stuff. Non-aquious, you need to purge all water from your system. A wet/dry vac works great for this. Not only is it expensive, they charge $12 to ship a gallon of the stuff to your house.

Top Bottom