crazybrit

Feb 19, 2006
Sorry to post another Rad Guard thread (there are enough archived already).

Anyone have pics of the Devol guards and/or Works Performance braces mounted but w/out plastics? This link is from the archives - http://community.webshots.com/album/233187494bsLiPR

I saw some comments in the archives that the WP mounts to the frame and the Devol only to the rads but pic "No 1 037" from the URL above looks like the Devol mounts to the frame also. Some pics from side/rear would be super useful.

I'm more interested in side impact protection (and I don't think the Devol provides that much -- the Flatland Racing looks much stronger). Talking to my local dealer he said he's had people install both the WP braces and also the Devol guards on the KDX (or he thinks they have -- it's a Q thats been asked in the archives). If you were to combine I was thinking it would make MUCH more sense to use the WP brace and the much cheaper MSR front guards. End cost would be similar to the Devol. Or maybe this won't work?

Waffle

Oct 19, 2004
I've got the Devol guards. They are pretty sturdy, it would take quite an impact to damage the rads. I think they probably give better side protection than WP brace.

250RDude

Feb 23, 2003
Those were Pics from my 91 KDX :) I just went out to the garage & took a few more from my "New" 97 KDX200. These are also the Devol Brand. They bolt directly to the frame & provide a lower mount for the Radiator Shroud. We just did a ride over the Weekend with the proud owner of my old KDX & He put the Guards to good use! He went down at least a dozen times, no kidding! Real slow G-offs & Such but without the guards the radiators would've been toast. The only downside I feel is a slight blockage of the airflow to the radiators. I've noticed a tendency to run hotter at slower speeds on both bikes. On the 97 I'm running Engine-ice & a 1.6 Radiator cap & so far no overheating. If you need a couple more pics without the Shrouds let me know. :)

crazybrit

Feb 19, 2006
250RDude - If you could snap some more pics with the plastics off, that would be cool. Thanks.

I'm not saying the Devols provide no side impact protection. They clearly do. But the WP looks sturdier to me but you really can't tell looking at 400x200 jpegs.

Lumpyboy

Jan 14, 2006
Too bad you can't get billet aluminum guards for the KDX, the ultimate in strength for side impacts and frontal protection. Machined out of a solid block of aluminum rather than stamped sheet metal. The Devol guards do have a piece that bolts to the frame but it's still very light weight stamped and folded sheet metal. Unfortunately, for the KDX there isn't much choice in guards that I am aware of.

For the good (but expensive) stuff, see http://www.bulletproofdesigns.com/

250RDude

Feb 23, 2003
"New" pics without Shrouds have been added. I can't speak about Works Connection Guards having never used them but my Devol's have been put thru the wringer on the old KDX with numerous Wheelie, endo, endo, flip on side episodes. Mine was usually on the Left side by the way. :( Go Figure! I even went as far as to buy an extra set of radiators from EGAY & never used them & ended up selling them again.

CRguyStan

Dec 10, 2001
Not to sound ignorant, but any aluminum gaurd is going to help over a stock setup. I've bent countless Pro-Taper bars racing MX with very unfogiving get-offs and never bent a rad. The only time I di that was with a street bike and should be dead. I had great success with the Devol, but if you think the WP are better, just get them. I think anything will crush with the right impact, just buy what you think is reaasonable, as it takes alot to wad a rad, or the "perfect" situation in a crash.
Stan

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
I'm running the WC braces and I can't see anything protecting the rads from side impact better than these. I've never had an issue with anything spearing the fronts of the rads and getting past the plastic louvers, but I definitely have an issue with falling over in big goony rocks.

For all around protection, I'd probably keep it simple and go with the Devols.

Lumpyboy

Jan 14, 2006
it clearly matters what type of riding you do. for tight woods and rocks, you really want both front and side protection (and if I had to choose, I too would probably go with the side brace first). The used KDX I bought had a side impact that rounded in the left radiator, which I just replaced. Since the KDX won't see the tight woods a lot I put the Devol guards on. It's too bad there's such a limited choice of guards for a bike as popular as the KDX but at least you can get a used radiator from Fredette pretty cheap.

crazybrit

Feb 19, 2006
One of the things that concerns me about the Devols is that there is no bracing on the rear of the right radiator (see picture 082 in the above webshots.com URL). I guess they felt it would clash with the overflow? I think I'm leaning towards combining the Works Connection and the MSR.

Waffle

Oct 19, 2004
I had the same concerns as you do when I was looking for radiator crash protection. Until I saw a set of the Devols (on a WR). It's pretty thick aluminum - very sturdy setup. It convinced me.

Lumpyboy

Jan 14, 2006
Crazybrit, you should try the combo and report back. I think the Devol guards are pretty light weight (I can bend them in with my hand), but the back brace on the left side definitely helps the left side. I might try the same thing with the Devols and just drill holes to mount WC braces. If that doesn't work, then I might just make a brace for the right side.

crazybrit

Feb 19, 2006
Lumpyboy said:
Crazybrit, you should try the combo and report back. I think the Devol guards are pretty light weight (I can bend them in with my hand), but the back brace on the left side definitely helps the left side. I might try the same thing with the Devols and just drill holes to mount WC braces. If that doesn't work, then I might just make a brace for the right side.

Lumpy. I will give it a try. FYI in the thead titled "Radiator Guards" from 6/15/2001 Moj claimed to have installed both Devol and WC with slight modification required. Worth a try.

My only concern about the MSR grills is that the hole size/design on the Devols looks like it will flow more air (the MSR are just round) and from what I hear, the Devols already cause the bike to run a bit hot, not sure if the MSR would be worse.

Anyways, I'll run with the WC ones for a bit and see how I feel in a few months.

Tony

darrylabrown

Mar 12, 2006
kelseybrent said:
I'm running the WC braces and I can't see anything protecting the rads from side impact better than these. I've never had an issue with anything spearing the fronts of the rads and getting past the plastic louvers, but I definitely have an issue with falling over in big goony rocks.

For all around protection, I'd probably keep it simple and go with the Devols.

I can't make out what the hell these WC braces look like. The picture on the web is very poor. Does anyone have a photo of them? I think the Devols look more like pebble protection from the bike in front of you.

I would like something for the crashes with rocks etc.

crazybrit

Feb 19, 2006
darrylabrown said:
I can't make out what the hell these WC braces look like. The picture on the web is very poor. Does anyone have a photo of them? I think the Devols look more like pebble protection from the bike in front of you.

I would like something for the crashes with rocks etc.

Indeed. the pic on the WC site is quite odd. it makes much more sense once you've seen better pictures.

Go to www.motosport.com and enter "works connection radiator" into the search box. Also, the following http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/assets/product_images/05WorksConnRadiatBraceLG.gif

Once I get them I'll snap some pics and put them up somewhere like 250RDude did for the Devols. I'm also curious how heavy they are.

The Devols have some side impact protection but only on the left side. If you look in the archives, several people have either combined Devol/WC or MSR/WC, or added more bracing to the Devols, especially for the right side. I guess they didn't include a brace on the right side because of the overflow bottle -- look at 250RDudes pics mentioned earlier in this thread.

Tony

Top Bottom