pdiddy

Mar 5, 2004
Hi guys,

Just joined, been riding for 4 years. I am looking for a new bike to replace my lame TTR. I am interested in a KDX 220, but my dad and I have one concern, the radiators. How strong are they? How easy is it to crush them? I dont want to be 30 miles from the truck and have to tow the bike out because I broke a radiator.

I search and it sounds like the Works Connection braces are the ones to get. With them on, has anyone smacked a radiator so hard, the bike couldn't make it back to the truck?

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
I have the WC braces on mine and they are fantastic.

In all honesty - radiator failures are really quite rare. All the thousands of miles I have logged over the years with countless differnet bikes and they just dont happen.

Most guys around here that smack the coller hard will tell you it bends a bit before it snaps anything.

Bottom line is - there are few guys here that have been stranded by our KDX. Some will limp home from time to time (rare) buit they just dont leave you walking.

Good luck with your search.

sn

kdxluver

Feb 22, 2004
Radiator guards

I put radiator braces, guards and aluminum louvres, that I purchased from Tucker Rocky. It is my first radiator protection that I have purchased. I have crashed really hard and only tweaked the radiator on my Drz400E. I just sold it and purchased a 04 KDX220 and put all the protection on it. If I fall and damage it now I am in trouble!!!! Looks very solid and well covered.
Randy

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
The radiators on my 89 are very curved from the previous owner. About the first 3-4 rows are bent in. Still works like a champ though. They seem to flex and bend quite a bit without developing any leaks.

-Maurice

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
I've got the WC radiator braces, too. I haven't ridden the bike with them on (or off for that matter--got the bike in December and there's been too much snow to ride :think: ) Hopefully I'll never get to test their strength(:moon: ) but I'd still like to hear some feedback on 'em. :thumb:

pdiddy

Mar 5, 2004
Ok. Thanks guys. I was very set on an XR250, but after investigating the KDX, I think I like it more. Lighter, more power, and cheaper.

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
I tore my left hand side radiator TOTALLY off a 2000 YZ426F when I hit a row of rocks. I only had to ride about 2kms back to the truck with 6 broken bones in my left foot and one radiator. It only cost AU$120 to get repaired. It came back honestly looking brand new. Beats dealer price of around $450 for a new one. Moral of the story is "Dont ride on your own, always ride with a friend". Oh and definately brace it up if your ride / crash like me.

250RDude

Feb 23, 2003
Get a set of Works Connection or Devol Braces/Guards & don't give it a second thought. I have a 90 KDX200 & when I bought it the Right Radiator was bent like a banana but didn't leak & still doesn't. I'm using the DEVOL guards & couldn't be happier.

Trick24

Mar 15, 2003
Never used any guards - and the only time I damaged my radiator was when I put my exhaust pipe through it after landing on my silencer. (Slipped off the pegs and gave the bike wide open throttle going over a table top) Radiator didnt even break off. There are too many other reasons to be afraid of being stranded than radiator's, always carry an extra spark plug!!!

pdiddy

Mar 5, 2004
yeah, I always carry at least a spark plug, tow rope, basic tools and matches.

But it sounds like the radiators are pretty tough, which is good, I do have a talent for crashing, lol.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom