cjreeder

Dec 23, 2002
I don't know what exactly it is that constitutes a fouled spark plug (other than it don't work anymore). But if I want to ride at all in the next ten days, I need a no-cost way to talk a fouled spark plug into sparking again. Suggestions? :)

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Soak it in vinegar overnight. Then rinse it with carb cleaner. Doing that, will remove some of the deposits and allow it work again.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by Papakeith
Soak it in vinegar overnight.
Hey Papa, you some sort of chemical engineer or somethin?? :thumb:

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
As far as I know, and that isn't far... a fouled spark plug never works very well again. I think its one of those, you can get it running, but its going to happen again type things. But then again, I'd try the vinegar, because I wouldn't let a fouled plug stand in the way of me riding either! 3 feet of snow is standing in my way now... and good tricks for that Papakeith??? ;)

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
I think it depends if its a resistor based plug or not. If your running a BR8ES or something, forget it. But a B8ES? Might work.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
One of the big mags just did a write up on that ski you attach to your front wheel! You might want to look into that atc! Of course you would have to give us all a ride report too.

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Its funny, hour and a half after replying last to this thread, I fouled a plug of my own! Figures huh! I knew it was a curse to come in here!!! J/k. As for the ski for the front of the bike... NO! You try it first... then I'll consider it ;)

Psalm31.24

Dec 5, 2002
I've had some luck this way . . . soak in fuel or premix, dry with compressed air (use your own breath if you're at the track/on the trail), sand off as much build up as possible. soak/rinse again, then dry again. It's worked most of the time for me. NExt time I'll try vinegar and carb cleaner, I always learn something here!

cjreeder

Dec 23, 2002
Ok, here's my take on spark plugs, after trying to re-vamp them.

1. Carbon is conductive. Therefore, a carbon-covered ceramic insulator is an easier path to ground than is jumping the 0.6mm or so gap. So you get no spark at all.

2. Carbon is hard. Vinegar seems to take it off the metal just fine, probably because it slowly eats the metal underneath and then the carbon flakes off. But vinegar doesn't get it off the ceramic. Scraping it with a fork has no effect either
, but a good rubbing of sandpaper (if you can get it down in there) turns your ceramic whitish again, which hopefully means it's good as new. We'll find out tomorrow if they work or not.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Many times you can take a fouled plug and insert it in a warm, properly jetted, bike and start it up. It will often times clean up the plug. I never trust previously fouled plugs though.

cjreeder

Dec 23, 2002
You guys are right. My almost new looking sanded plugs spark orange instead of blue, and the bike wouldn't start :( Time to break down and buy new ones.

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Yeah, I fooled with the one I fouled the other day cause all this talk of revamping one got me thinking... same thing... wouldn't fire up. New BR8ES took care of that though, $2.37 at Napa. RM's all set to hibernate the rest of the winter now. Drained the gas, ran it till it used what was left in the carb, then a little motor oil, just half a capfull, into the cylinder head, push it over a few times by hand, old nasty plug back in, and its time to SLEEP!. BTW, anybody have good secrets for changing the plug on a 94 RM125? I ended up yanking the gas tank, I couldn't get the new one in. :)

cjreeder

Dec 23, 2002
According to the NGK web site, you can clean a dry-fouled plug and get it to work again, but if it's wet-fouled you just have to buy a new one. I don't know how to dry-foul a plug (or even exactly what that means), but I'm most certain mine are of the "wet-fouled" variety.

Same thing with my 81 KX 420, it's a pain because I have to pull the tank each time.

cjreeder

Dec 23, 2002
So I went down to Wal-Mart and got a two-pack of AutoLite 63 spark plugs for $1.94. Do you guys know anything about Autolites?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I know some guys who swear by the Autolites. They work fine for them. I don't think they would be any problem at all.

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
We call the slow guys at that track Autolites ;) But I actually think they work fine. I still swear by NGK, bike's made in Japan, it wants plugs from Japan. I think that fact is why it likes to dump its rider a lot, not made Japan, 100% American :)

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Anytime I've ever used Autolite plugs, the tip corrodes and adheres to the clip inside the plug wire boot. I've ruined more than one plug wire that way. The tip of them must be steel, not aluminum or whatever other plugs use. I avoid Autolite plugs like the plague.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Shop for NGK's. You can get them for the same money as Autoblights.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I get my NGK's at $2.00 a piece. I change plugs just about every time I get the chance. It's much better to change a plug in the parking lot/pits because you want to, than it is to change a plug on the trail because you have to.

Top Bottom