Really don't want to have to split the case again

landing gear

Sep 20, 2007
I just had my 2002 CR250R torn apart, I split the case and replaced the crank bearings. I put the transmission back together according to the manual and everything seemed to work fine, I could spin the shift drum and hit all the gears. Now I got the engine back in the bike and took it for a test run, it runs great and goes into first gear fine but when I come up to hit second it goes to neutral. Every shift up from here is neutral until I get to fifth, then it goes into gear. I can shift down again and every gear is neutral until first again. Did I somehow put the shift linkage together wrong or will I have to split the case again and see if a shift fork is in the wrong position. :bang:

myfirst125

Jun 10, 2007
make sure you have a diagram of exactly how each shaft goes together. if you even miss just one washer, it can mess up the entire gearing, and youd be screwed...trust me this happened to me recently, and i put the washer in, and it worked fine after that

landing gear

Sep 20, 2007
Thanks. I played around with the shift linkage again this morning and somehow lucked out and everything fell into place. I have no idea what I did but everything works now. The only explanation I can think of is that somehow it was between gears when I installed the shift linkage and not lining up.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
I did the exact thing with my KTM when I assembled the shift linkage. Easy fix once back tracked my steps.

myfirst125

Jun 10, 2007
good for you....i know when putting the tranny back together, you want to make sure you leave it in neutral when the case halves go back together...you might have had it in gear and it finally popped out

Top Bottom