LRice85

Nov 1, 2001
not sure if this post should go under the riding technique section but I think more people check this forum anyway. So here's my question.

The past month or so when I've been jumping my rear end had been kicking out in the air. One time I landed completely sideways on a 60 foot table top and took a pretty good tumble! Now I've only been riding for two seasons however this hasn't been a problem until latley. I realize I'be been hitting larger jumps recently and possibly lack of technique compounded with larger jumps is causing this to happen. BUT I've noticed this on smaller jumps now too.

As I mentioned this could be a result of poor technique which is the most likely cause. Could it also be the rebound settings on my shock? IF it is too fast this may cuase the rear to kick out? If so why all the sudden? I haven't changed anything on my bike (02 CR250).

Also what is the proper way to compensate for this while in the air?

This should give everyone something to think about at work today!
thanks
Larry

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
but I think more people check this forum anyway

WRONG.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but even you will have to follow the rules and post in the right forum.

Moved.

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
yeah... its a common problem. Check your suspension setup, and try squeezing the bike with your knees on the face of the jump. I find it really hard to bring back an unintentional whip thing, so its best to try and prevent it.

It usually dosent happen to me, but when I rode dave's bike it happened on most every jump. Thats probably because his suspension only sags about 1/2 an inch when I sit on it.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
I seem to notice that it changes with the amount of throttle on the jump face. Have you tried letting off the gas a little earlier (not to the point that your front end bombs)? Also, do you hit the jumps square or at an angle?

LRice85

Nov 1, 2001
Sorry Okiewon I figured General could post anything. My bad

anyway...

To answer the first question, yes when I jump my rear wheel is kicking to the side. Not fun.

So it could be caused from suspesion set-up. That's good to know. Being that I've never had this problem until recently I wasn't sure but it makes sense. I guess it's time to re-evalutate my suspension settings.

It's been happening when I'm hitting the jump square and at an angle. I've only recently become comfortable enough to hit jumps at an angle. I've become decent at jumping but lately things just have been a litte off.

To correct the bike in the air I'm assuming I should steer the front wheel in the direction the rear is kicking out towards?

Most of this I can assume but I just need the other to let me know my thinking is correct

thanks for the responses.
Larry

326mx

Mar 25, 2002
Check where your weight was in relation to the bike. Lately I have been riding a friends bone stock 02 CR 250 and I found it, for me at least to be prone to weight not being centered. And when it swings out weight your outside peg and give it some gas and it should come back. Hope I helped.

Jason

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Is it always the same side?
Does it happen on all jumps or just some of them?

In general, yes, you turn into the whip and get your front wheel on the ground first. That way it will be pointed in the direction you are going and the rest of the bike will try to follow it.

As for correcting in the air, try practicing little whips to get natural with moving the bike. Sadly for me, I can't correct when something goes bad, only when I intentionally caused it. As mentioned, it is easier to prevent than to fix and squeezing the bike with your legs will help a surprising amount.

LRice85

Nov 1, 2001
I wouldn't say that it happens every time but it's happening enough that I am becoming gun shy on jumps. And yes it seems that my rear is always going to my right. I'm thinking that it may be a combination of technique and suspension settings. I have not touched the shock settings. They are stock however this problem just started and I've hit pleanty of 40-50 footers on this bike without the rear end fading on me.

The bike is in great shape there is no play in the swing arm or wheel.

I have been squeezing with my knees however this isn't habit yet. I have to consciously make a point to do it. when I forget to do it I get sideways.

I have some things to think about I'm sure I'll fix the problem this weekend.

thanks
Larry

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Make sure you let us know what helps.

You might want to try consciously weighting the right peg a little more a few times and see if that make a difference. That seems to be my problem when I'm not paying close enough attention to my takeoff.

LRice85

Nov 1, 2001
I'll surely post the solution next week.

Just curious High Lord, why do you think you are light on the right peg? I'm guessing when you are jumping out of a right hand turn?

If my rear is kicking to the right wouldn't weighting the right peg magnify the problem. (I'm sitting here at my desk with my eyes closed imagining I'm riding and trying to feel the bike under me lol!)

Larry

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Putting more weight on the right peg will tend to push the bike to the left.

BTW, your boss called, he wants to know what those funny leg exercises are that you're doing and...GET BACK TO WORK!! ;)

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
LRice, I've been having the exact same problem; second season, beginning to hit jumps hard but the back kicks out quite a bit. Kicking out is not that much of a problem, it's when you land partially sideways and the back wheel hops to the other side, then back, and then your skidding along on your face... If you find a solution I'd really like to hear it...

LRice85

Nov 1, 2001
ok then... I'll post the results of my expierments next week.

I'll adjust the rebound, set my sag correctly, weight the right peg, adjust my body postion, squeeze with my knees while practicing superb throttle control!

Who wants to bet that l end up pulling and riding the first ever 360 degree in air spin!!!!!

Thanks guys
Larry

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
< super-secret-moderator-mode ON >
Hey guys, he bought it! High fives! :aj:
< super-secret-moderator-mode OFF >

Nah, LR, you'll probably get moved up a class this weekend!

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Just a thought, have you checked the rear wheel alignment?

Jan 6, 2001
My best friend had this same problem and it was caused mostly from not having any entrance speed into the jump and the flipping it wide open on the face of the jump causing the rear wheel to spin and go to the right. The other part of it was his sag was incorrect so check this out and practice practice practice

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
You were right dell, I was not holding the bike with my knees. I tried holding on with my knees yesterday and had much more success and no unintentional whips! Thanks!

Top Bottom