Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Again... DUDE! I made a joke about a motorcycle. CHILL. You are really going over the top.

The true "nature of discusssion" is that one of the two parties has at least some knowledge of the subject. You are sooo far off on your 2nd point, I'm not sure where to start. Maybe a little REAL home work is required on your part before showing your lack of knowldge on the subject.

I will go so far as to say that the monthly costs you came-up with are possible, but do not apply to DRN. There are low quality/high volume server farms out there that will host a site of this site in that dollar range, however DRN's dedicated server is in a Tier 1 data center and fuilly managed. Do a little research on fully managed enterprise solutions and come back with what you find.

And BTW, I think I treat my members just fine thanks.

With that.. I'm out. Arguing with ignorance is a no win deal. I've made my point, nothing further is required.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
JasonWho said:
If anyone has a need for info, I'll let you fill them in. :-)!

I'll do my best, I think I have it memorized, it goes something like this "Do you have a manual yet?" :laugh:

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
OK, we said what we said, and each person can take it for what it is worth, which is not too much in the grand scheme of things.

wibby: You are making me proud. Thanks for seeing the wisdom in my question. :-)

crazymike

Aug 10, 2000
Wolf said:
Can I like jump my KDX on one of those like freestyle ramps? How do I like get it to do like a backflip? Does the light like need to be on or like off?

It's unpossible to do a back flip with a tail light. You will need to remove the tail light and stock fender aswell as have special freestyle grips. Don't let the price of these grips deter you as they will add ability to your free style like stickers add horsepower to a civic.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Okiewan said:
I didn't make fun of your race or religion for crying outloud.
Okie: If you had poked fun of race or religion, then o.k., but it was much more serious than that, it was our bikes you joked with.
P.S. my post was a joke too....to see how many folks googled "foment". :nener: I've been waiting years to use it in a sentance. Thanks for the opportunity. Now go play with your $1,000,000 "fiddy" and quit teasing us greenies.

Last edited:

crazymike

Aug 10, 2000
Okiewan said:
Aparently! Consider me educated on the serrious issue of the KKKDX and how I appeared to be part of it! Come on, someone make fun of my Honda so we can be even :)

Honda riders don't need to be mocked in order to have people snickering at them, they seem to do the job quite fine on their own :p

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
Well, I got here a little late. I sure wish I knew what this terrible joke/comment was. It must have been a real zinger. :p

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Most KDX owners wonder about all the folks buying MX bikes that will NEVER see a track let alone be entered into a race. Why do they buy such an over priced bike for their needs?
The suspension is all wrong for the trails and that's probably where 99% of them are ridden. (More like the vacant lot down the street by a 15 year old pimple faced kid with parents who have more money than brains, but I don't want to be cruel here.) The gas tanks are so small, they can't get farther from the parking lot than 15 miles. I know I've never seen one past 20 miles from the staging area in riding areas I've been to without an aftermarket, butt ugly tank. Their seats are all wrong for a comfortable position to ride when seated. They can't play after dark. (No headlight) etc, etc, etc.
Unless you WANT to stay on a little bitty closed course MX track, I see no way anyone could own an MX bike without serious mods done to it.
KDX bikes are used 99% of the time for the purpose they were designed for: the trail riding we all do. MX bikes are used less than 10% of the time they were designed for: the closed circuit track. You tell me who's wasting money trying to make a bike into what it never will be.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Where do you think the percentage of MX bikes bought in this country are ridden? Here in the Sacramento area, there is only one MX track, Prairie City. Home of the Hangtown Moto-X. First of the series. And it bans the red sticker bikes (2003 and newer) for a large part of the year. No way more than 2 dozen retail motorcycle shops in the county are selling MX bikes that are being ridden exclusively on that track when there are millions of acres of National Forest and private timber land out there. Heck just take a poll on who has USFS approved spark arrestors and you can see where the majority ride their bikes, the fire roads.
I admit my facts only come from what I can see with my own eyes and what I've experianced here in the west. I just don't see where all those MX bikes can be on the track more than 10% of the total hours they are cumulitively ridden. They would have to be riding 24/7 at the track to accomadate them all at even 10%. Oklahoma may be different. Maybe the only place to ride there is on a track.

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
skipro3, don't forget transmission ratios.

I don't have any info to back it up, but I would bet that MX bikes are used less often on a MX track than in an off-road situation (woods, desert, etc.).

I put a poll in the MX forum to ask what percentage of the time MX bike owners rode on a MX track vs off-road. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Where do you think the percentage of MX bikes bought in this country are ridden?
I don't presume to know and therefore wouldn't go so far as to post a percentage. I assumed that you have something to back-up the 10% figure other than "what's going on" in Sacramento :) To the best of my knowledge, the "Red Sticker / Green Sticker thing only applies to one of the 50 states. It would seem that your preception could be somewhat skewed?

I just don't see where all those MX bikes can be on the track more than 10% of the total hours they are cumulitively ridden.
I assume then you have a total MX bikes sold and how many hours they are ridden figure to post?

My experience comes from a few states actually, but since you mention OK; there is riding at many State Parks (trails), a large riding area endorsed and supported by a City (Stillwater, OK)..and no "stickers" required other than a membership or a yearly pass. What a concept, you can ride anything ALL YEAR. As far as the tracks go... Pastrana spends most of his time here due to several very good tracks within a short distance. Trust me, there is riding outside of Kalifornia.... without restrictions.

Where I've lived the better part of he last 20 years, Illinois.. has NO state or federal land riding, it's all about tracks in D-17... in fact two of the most popular tracks in the country (AMA, based on entries) are located there. Wardy would need to confirm it (he's the Dir. of MX in D-17), but those two tracks alone (Byron and Casey) probably draw 700 + rider (with multiple bikes in many cases) each weekend. So an educated guess would mean of the many tracks in Illinois alone, there could be 1,000 bikes at just two tracks on any given weekend. Multiply that by 50 states, it's a lot of MX bikes.

Texas of course has many well known tracks... have no idea about parks and federal land, don't live there yet.

Michigan and Wisconsin, Lots of trail systems.

That's the extent of my knowledge however. I've got to admit that lost track of your point and how it relates to KDX's? Back reading is in order.

Last edited:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I don't have any info to back it up, but I would bet that MX bikes are used less often on a MX track than in an off-road situation (woods, desert, etc.).
Is that the doom of the KDX then? Or are you saying there are a lot of silly folks buying MX'ers when they should be buying KDX's? It was you that posted trying to "woods" a MX'er is silly, right?

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
:ohmy:

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
Quote:

Okiewan said:
Is that the doom of the KDX then? Or are you saying there are a lot of silly folks buying MX'ers when they should be buying KDX's? It was you that posted trying to "woods" a MX'er is silly, right?

I don't understand your first question. skipro3 said it was 99%. I was just trying to say that I think that of all the MX marketed bikes out there, they are ridden less often on a track than in the woods, desert, etc. I am just saying more often off the track than on, no specific percentage number guess as to how it really is. That is all I was saying.

I didn't post anything about "trying to 'woods' a MX'er" being silly. I say that everyone should get whatever suits them and change whatever they want, unless it is something like operating the motorcycle with the silencer/spark arrestor off or things along that line. You know, like land or noise issues.

THIS IS ONLY TO CLARIFY

I can only assume that skipro3's remarks were related to your earlier comment, "The only thing I wonder about is all the KDX'ers that buy a cheap bike (good on trails) and try to make it something it's not. I had one... great bike, for it's purpose, but it'll never be a motocrosser, no matter what you do to it, or dollars you spend.". I assume this because his last sentence in one post was, "You tell me who's wasting money trying to make a bike into what it never will be."

AGAIN! That is just to clarify.

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
Okiewan said:
Almost forgot... I think your poll would do better in the general forum... in the MX forum, it will probably be slanted towards MX - but who knows, maybe not.

Do you mean under The DRN Community Forums - General Discussions - Polls? I had to look around to find something that might have been what you mean. I don't think I have checked out that forum... Oh wow. There are a lot of polls in there. I just checked.

I guess it will be fine in the MX forum, though. It's not a scientific poll or something. :-) The discussion just got me curious. It gave me an excuse to put off disassembling a shock for 5 more minutes. :-)

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Okiewan said:
Where I've lived the better part of he last 20 years, Illinois.. has NO state or federal land riding, it's all about tracks in D-17...

Hmmmmm...... Okie, are you saying there is no State sponsored riding areas in Illinois? Then I must have bought a DNR sticker for nothing and South Fork must be running a illegal riding area! :laugh:

Who is talking smack now? Where do you get YOUR facts? :think:

NOTE: The previous text was intended as a rebuttal in good fun, please do not ban me.

:laugh:

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
Or are you saying there are a lot of silly folks buying MX'ers when they should be buying KDX's? It was you that posted trying to "woods" a MX'er is silly, right?

Lets not forget there are alot of other choices out there than just the KDX. I got a KDX because I heard it was the best and toughest bike pound for pound (or dollar for dollar)that I could get.

ELF

Top Bottom