Rear linkage on my cr toast after not long

rosscopeeko

Feb 25, 2005
Ok, so i bought my cr last year and it was practically new. i took it all apart and greased everything with the grease that's called for in my factory manual and used quite a bit of grease too. Anyways, i rode the dunes for 3 days and everything seemed fine suspension wise. I took everything apart today for cleaning and regreasing. Everything was fine except the rear linkage bearing that joins the rear shock to the linkage. It was seized solid and rusted. The inner collar is scored so it needs to be replaced. A coworker told me this one would be dry and i thought no way because of how i greased it last year. Do you need to take these apart and grease them every couple of months? I rode all woods riding last year in a dry climate, probably 40-50 hours worth.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
If the seals are bad, you have to take them apart and grease them a lot. Do you pressure wash? That will push water through the seals and wash the grease out. The lower linkage bearing is pretty exposed and really takes a sand/water blasting from the rear wheel. If you buy a linkage bearing kit, you get collars and bearings. The cost is about half comared to buying an entire linkage bearing set from Honda.

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
I found the same thing on my '04 CR that I bought brand new last May. I took it out of the truck, took it apart, and greased everything when it was brand new. At 50 hours I tore it down again and found the same bearing rusted. Looking at the linkage it's the one that moves the most. I just put it on my 25 hour maintenance schedule. You can get to that one without taking anything apart - it's easy to get to.

live_to_bike

Apr 23, 2007
i ahve a 2001 rm 250 and i just replaced all my linkage and shock bearings.. in my manual it says that the life for the shock bearings is only 10-15 hours... they are the smallest bearings and take alot of pounding.

rosscopeeko

Feb 25, 2005
yeah they are the smallest and it does make sense that they move the most and are subjected to the most pounding. I just ordered one through honda and for the bearing, inside dowel and 2 new rubber dust seals it will be just over $30. Not bad i thought, but not great. I just want to get riding and try out my new jd jetting kit and vforce 3. Thanks for the help.

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
my bike is crazy squeaking, like when i push it over bumps it squeaks. its time for a major grease up i know, but i cant get the bottom bolt out of the linkage system out, the nut comes off but the bolt is really stuck in there. any suggestions?

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
No it just squeeks and doesn't move well. There's enough force there that it will still move unless it gets REAL bad. But your suspension isn't working like it should.

84cr125

Apr 8, 2007
Steve St.Laurent said:
No it just squeeks and doesn't move well. There's enough force there that it will still move unless it gets REAL bad. But your suspension isn't working like it should.

ive greased and replaced the seals on all but that one linkage cuz i was unable to get the bolt out. I even tried hitting it out with a punch in the middle of the bolt, but no dice. The next time i grease evreything up ill use some heat on that one to get it out.

rosscopeeko

Feb 25, 2005
you know i didn't notice it at all, and it never squeeked. I was dune riding and jumping a little and the bike seemed to handle ok. It was seized enough to the point where i couldn't move the linkage by hand with the swingarm off. It was almost bonded and rusted together. I have the parts now so i'm good to go. I'm still cleaning sand from everywhere though, so it's been a big job. Dune riding is fun, but the clean up is heavy if you're anal about your bike like me.

rosscopeeko

Feb 25, 2005
Ok, got my new linkage bearing in and reassembled my whole bike. I just noticed that the fuel overflow tubes run right down by the bearings and i'm thinking the fuel might have washed away the grease? Anybody ever notice this?

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
That bearing bearing is just small and the seals aren't fabulous. The overflow tubes didn't affect it. You just need to clean/grease it anytime it gets wet/submerged. Maybe add that to a more frequent schedule than the other bearings.

rosscopeeko

Feb 25, 2005
yeah, that's my new plan. The bearing is easily accesible so it will be a monthly thing. I'll try and reroute my carb overflow tubes too. They are kind of short so it might be a little difficult.

Top Bottom