motox--

Sep 1, 2006
Im after a new rear tire my 00 cr125. Its 100/90-19.
I ride in either hardpack (really hard!) or a hardpack track that gets watered too much, so some sections are hard and some are muddy.

I was going to get the Maxxis IT but some people said that they have ripped and chunked the knobs in a few rides. Thats not what I'm after! Im willing to sacrafice some traction for durability. Hope you can help!

loudandproud

Jul 29, 2006
I run a maxxis IT and it has at least 15 hours of riding and it looks pretty darn good. It gets alittle chewed up but it is not bad at all for the amount of riding i have on it. I didnt even get 20 hours out of my Dunlop race tires and they were intermidiates too. :yell:

Great traction out of the maxxis tires.

motox--

Sep 1, 2006
I defiantly wont be getting dunlops! Mine only lasted a 5? rides maybe!

I forgot to mention I do encounter alot of rocks, so like I said, I need a durable tire, but one that still has respectable traction in hardpack/mud/rocky conditions. I heard the IRC M5B wears 'like iron', however does it grip good in rocky/hardpack/mud conditions? does there intermediate/hard tires wear good aswell?

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
We haven't had good experiences with hard compound tires. Chunks fly off all the time. We favoured the tires with soft to medium compound. Not sure what brands though.

motox--

Sep 1, 2006
After reading some more, the IRC M5B still seems the most durable, but like I said I'm not sure on its traction in hard pack. Anybody want to chip in? Any info is appreciated!

motox--

Sep 1, 2006
Alright after reading even more, the IRC M5B seems to be 'skidish' on hardpack. I think I'll go with the IT. If someone recommends something different please chime in!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
We have run the Maxxis IT almost exclusively for the past 5 seasons and they wear very well. The track we normally practice on is hardpack (almost bueline in places) and rocky and we can get 20 hours on a tire- on either the 250Fs or 450. I started putting them on his practice wheels to save the "good" (read expensive) tires for racing but soon realized the cheaper ITs were lasting far longer and giving him everything he wAnted. My son also said they perform real good on a prepped track and then rates them "pretty good" on mud or sand. The mud or sand unless you have a surface specific tire I don't think there would be much improvement.

rosscopeeko

Feb 25, 2005
I run an IT in the conditions you describe and they last very long. We have sharp rocky hillclimbs and i have yet to rip a whole nob off yet. For the price i don't think you can go wrong. I did notice than in the wet rocky stuff the tire skips around a lot, but i think every tire would do that. My next tire will be a Maxxis SI on the rear. They last very long also and are better in the mud.

patto3

Apr 8, 2006
I like the michellin M402's. We ride dry, black hardpack 3-4 times a week and I get half a season out of them which is pretty good, better than my dunlop D756 which was showing signs of wear after 4 rides.

Top Bottom