nls61

Jun 20, 2002
I recently took my reed cage out off the jug of my 1995 kdx 200 and there were no reed supports. Are there suppose to be supports?

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
By "supports" do you mean reed flex limiters (curved)?
Those are designed to help the reeds bounce back to zero position quick enough when at high revs although they add some restriction to opening enough at lower revs. So if your bike has good top end power then your reeds probably don't need the limiters.

shr

Uhhh...
Apr 8, 2002
IMO, but what do I know.....

Maybe they are after market reeds. I won't mention their names but some after market reeds don't use the stops, just a support bar at the mounting screws.

nls61

Jun 20, 2002
I purchased the bike a few weeks ago so i am not sure if they are aftermarket or not. Also this is my first bike so i am not sure how much top end power a normal kdx has. Thanks for the help!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Attached pic is of oem cage...oem reed stops in place.

Thanks to wibby for the pic.

Attachments

• oem kdx cage.jpg
    oem kdx cage.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 148

nls61

Jun 20, 2002
The reeds I have on the cage are one solid piece, no petals.
From the looks of the picture you provided I must not have stock reeds. Do you have any idea what brand they could be? Should I purchase some reed stops and see if help the top end power?
Thanks for the help I really appreciate it. These forums are great!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Man...I've forgotten what boyesen power reeds look like. Are they one petal?

IF you have a strip of metal vs: the pictured stops, that's certainly a boyesen mounting method. Don't know about FmF and others.

No, you should not purchase reed stops to see if they improve the top end. They limit reed movement.

Note: Wibby's pic is from his '92. I assume it's a '92 cage. That's not necessarily true. It sure seems to look the same as my '00. I'll check that tonight.

Buykawisaki.com shows a '92 to have 'split' reeds.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Yep, sounds like Boyesen's to me. A Boyesen set-up for the KDX is a single petal with a presure bar attached by 3 or 4 screws per reed.

mudwalker

Mar 26, 2003
From this post, I just learned that there is no longer a need for me to replace my OEM reed cage with aftermarket reeds. I just assumed (usually a bad thing) that the reed cage I pulled and inspected during the winter rebuild was a stock unit.
Based on the picture of the OEM unit shown on CC's post, lets just say mine don't look like that.
Now that you have my attension, the unit in my 96 200 is a white plastic triangular frame with white blades that look like very fine screen material. I don't remember looking at any part of this mystery unit that allowed for any adjustability. All this from memory is sketchy at best, I should probably pull it apart and see what is in there. Or, any ideas on what is in front of my carb.
This is what can happen when you buy used equipment.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
There is a white piece that fits in BEHIND (upstream..toward the rear of the bike..in 'front' of the carby) the reed cage pictured. It's NOT the reedcage.

Got a pic of that, wibby?

I don't recall the blades being of a fine mesh material, though.

nls61

Jun 20, 2002
The reeds I have look very similar to the Pro Reeds but have a strait edge on the top and are not carbon fiber. They do have the pressure plate similar to the ones on the Pro reeds.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Boyesens power and pro reeds fit on the stock cage.

Well, considering that's what you order!

There are aftermarket reed cages like boyesens rad-valve and the deltaforceII. Both of these have their own specific reeds that fit that particular cage.

With either the boyesen or DFII aftermarket reed blocks, the reed attachment is similar in that it's just a strip across the top..not the big duckbill oem stops.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Thanks jag.

I wasn't specific. Bad info is worse than no info. :(

The boyesen power (fiberglas) reeds use the small strip. I've not tried the boyesen carbon on the oem reed block, only on their radvalve.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom