Removing Bearing inside crankcase?

MXer666

Jul 15, 2007
Hey, im looking for an alternative to removing bearings inside my crankcase instead of heating it. I managed to get some of the bearings out from where i could punch them out with a relative sized socket and mallet but there are some bearing that cant be knocked out only pulled or fall out. Here ill show you what i mean:

P1010008-1.jpg

here is a picure of my crankcase (excuse the mess) the two bearings there can only come out one way. Does anyone have and tips or tricks to getting them out? im not going to pry them out with a screwdriver and they dont want to come out on their own, i even tried asking nicely.

thanks for the help.

p.s if you want to know why i have the cases split is because i was mysteriously loosing tranny oil, running rich and it wouldnt idle too great. both crank seals were new so my bet was that i blew the crank gasket and i did. Im replacing the bearings cuz there original and the bike is old.(and its winter)

QSNW

Dec 13, 2007
Try putting the case in the freezer overnight, sometimes the bearings will fall out after they contract. Be careful , I have heard of potential cracking.

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
the way to do it is to use a small slide hammer with a "hook" type attachment on the end of it, then tap it out. the hook goes inside the bearings inner hole then locates under the edge of the bearing. this is an easy sort of tool to make using parts from a hardware store etc.. sorry if my description is poor but you kinda need to see what it looks like to explain better.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
autozone rents a pilot bearing puller for $45. it works great for pulling blind bearings. I cannt check you pics as work blocks photobucket but I imagine that is what you are talkinga bout. it is not a slide hammer setup like rich showed but works similarly. you expand it in the bearing then tighten a nut and pull it out. a U shaped piece rests on the case. I put some flat stock under it to keep it from damaging the case. works quite nice. when you return the tool you get your money back. I just went in and asked to buy one. I use it enough.

flounder

Oct 20, 2007
HAHA.. I knew it was going to be those 2 bearings..just dealt with them myself.

Harbor freight is your best friend when it comes to buying those tools.. just take your pick of which one you want. (slide hammers or bearing pullers, its up to you)
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95987
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=5469
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93980
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=4876
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38878

flounder

Oct 20, 2007
Rich Rohrich said:
You need this tool from Motion Pro or a similar one from the Honda.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/blind_bearing_and_bushing_remover/

Thats insane expensive... never buy tools like that from a dealer or specialty shop.. Harbor freight is the way to go.. especially considering how infrequently you will use it. Granted if your tearing apart engines everyday then maybe but definitely not when I can spend $17-$40 for basically the same stuff at harbor freight.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
MXer666 said:
Hey, im looking for an alternative to removing bearings inside my crankcase instead of heating it. )

Why would you not heat the cases?

When you drive your bearings out of the cases without using heat, it removes a little bit of aluminum from the bearing boss. After you do that a few times, your cases become junk.

Go the your local hardware store and buy a butane or propane plumbers torch. They are very inexpensive. Heat your cases to about 350 degrees or until you can sizzle a drop of water or spit on the cases. THEN, remove or install your bearings. If you seal your bearing in a plastic bag and then put it in the freezer for a couple of hours, the bearing will fall into the bearing boss without having to beat it with a hammer. The heat expands the case and the freezer shrinks the bearing. Do it right. :cool:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
flounder said:
not when I can spend $17-$40 for basically the same stuff at harbor freight.

LOL, OK :rotfl: If that helps you sleep at night, more power to you.:rotfl:

flounder

Oct 20, 2007
Rich Rohrich said:
LOL, OK :rotfl: If that helps you sleep at night, more power to you.:rotfl:

I didnt say same quality.. I said same stuff to get the job done. for the average person that has to do the occasional rebuild, the harbor freight stuff will be more then enough to work for them. I guarantee there are a ton of people on here who have made some type of half ass'ed rig to do the same thing. And I bet those guys get nothing but praise for being creative so Im not sure where your coming from on that front.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Listen to these old greasy farts, guys.
Work smarter, not harder.
;)

kawirider88

Dec 12, 2007
like the guy above said auto zone rents tools to do that but you half to buy it to rent it but when u bring it back you get ur money back you know...

Isobareng

Oct 16, 2007
for blind crankcase bearings I heat the case in an oven to 210*F with the bearing faceing down they usually fall out in the oven on their own.

D

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
Isobareng said:
for blind crankcase bearings I heat the case in an oven to 210*F with the bearing faceing down they usually fall out in the oven on their own.

D

:cool:

At worst, you'll have to bump the case bearing side down on the bench.

Rotor

MXer666

Jul 15, 2007
Wos, holy replies. ive never gotten this much feedback in just one day.

To be honest i never thaught of renting a bearing puller. Id think that i will be going in the way of heating my cases to get the bearings out. Although someone had made a good point about loosing alluminum each time a bearing is removed without heating the cases but im only dealing with the tranny shaft bearings and they are only pressed in. The crank bearings are heat and press fitted in and they require the cases to be heated to be removed, unlike the tranny shaft bearings. BUT seeing how old the bike is and how many times the bearings might have be removed (dont know the bikes history) im going to heat the cases anyways.

Thanks for the replies, i know i was looking for other methods besides heating the cases and now im going to heat my cases but i was only looking to see if there was any other way for future references.

todd36

Sep 3, 2007
I would find a buddy that has an arbor press or access to one. You could alway take it to a machine shop to press the old ones out and press the new ones in. I just read your post again realized you mean the transmission bearings. Is that a damaged area just at the end of the gasket on the wall that separates the crank from
the transmission. I would pack the bearing hole with grease and push a snug fitting plug in the id of the bearing it will use hydraulic pressure to push the bearing out

Last edited:

125rmcrazy

Sep 11, 2007
ive done many of these. working at a welding/machine shop you learn a few things.

if you're changing the bearing the other one is garbage right. use a mig welder, weld a small bead all around the outside race of the bearing. once done, take a small peice of shafting.. put in the center of the bearing and weld that to the inside race. the bearing should pull out with your hands.

for more stubborn ones, you use a threaded rod, with a peice of flatbar with a hole drilled in in, and a nut on the threaded rod on the outside of the flatbar. weld the threaded rod to the bearing, and tighten the nut. this works the same as a puller.

i had to change 2 on my rm 125 rebuild not too long ago actually..

regards.

125rmcrazy

Sep 11, 2007
and as for installing the new ones, use a propane torch to lightly heat the the area where the bearing goes in, and use a socket or some sort of round peice that will sit on the outside race of the bearing, and just tap it in.

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
To reinstall, I would use the same oven to heat the case. Put the bearings in the freezer ahead of time. Drop the frozen bearing in the hot case. It should slip right in.

Rotor

Top Bottom