whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Unbelievable! What kind of auto parts store does not carry water proof grease? Boat or bike shop should have it. The lithium will work, the belray is better. Any pics of the welder? I have some broken aluminum!

huskey89

Jul 27, 2008
I got a puzzler for you guys.

well i reassembled the swing arm, will post some pics later once i get the digital cam working, while putting the rear brake back on this small metal plate fell down from the brakes and i have no clue where it came from (definitely somewhere on the rear brakes). i have some pics that i took with my phone. If you could post your email or email me at orenn@union.edu i can email the pics of the mystery piece to you.

i will try to describe the piece
thin metal plate
bent into a slight V shape
coming off the bottom of the slight v are a set of arms that look like it clips onto something
came from the rear brake

anyone know where i am suppose to put it?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
huskey89 said:
I got a puzzler for you guys.

well i reassembled the swing arm, will post some pics later once i get the digital cam working, while putting the rear brake back on this small metal plate fell down from the brakes and i have no clue where it came from (definitely somewhere on the rear brakes). i have some pics that i took with my phone. If you could post your email or email me at orenn@union.edu i can email the pics of the mystery piece to you.

i will try to describe the piece
thin metal plate
bent into a slight V shape
coming off the bottom of the slight v are a set of arms that look like it clips onto something
came from the rear brake

anyone know where i am suppose to put it?

That goes in the caliper on the end.. It puts pressure on the brake pads to keep them from chattering.

Without seeing the caliper, it's hard to say exactly how it goes back in.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I'm not exactly sure, but probably between the pads and the caliper.. so that it rests against the pads, and puts pressure on them.. but I can't be sure.

huskey89

Jul 27, 2008
good call on that going on top of the brake pads, i would have never figured that out. and that site huskyclub, what do they have that would be worth the 20 bucks a year?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
How valuable was the information you got here? Would you have paid $20 to have access to it for a year?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
At least they don't want to gather 'round and throw stones at you before they let you in.

huskey89

Jul 27, 2008
alright i got a (hopefully final) question about reassembly. Well i put it all together on earlier this week. then when i went to put the chain on i was about two links short, i realized that the sprocket side of the axle stopper thing was about 3/8 of an inch from the adjuster. so i loosened it and moved it up. but when i tightened it again, right when the swing arm flexed in to hold the wheel and brake secure it moved it back again.
I am assuming that when she put the plate on the swing arm it no longer flexes the same. so could i just adjust the chain tensioner on the right side accordingly to compensate for the difference?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Aye carumba! Sight down the top of the chain, from the back, while taking the slack out of the chain. Some bikes may need your heavy friend to set on it and lower the swingarm angle. This is how to check that your adjusters are accurate. Once you know, you know how much to compensate. And recheck it now and then.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
No, loose.. otherwise, you won't be able to tension the chain properly.

They don't have to be the same on each side. But the wheel should be straight, that's why Bob said to sight down the top of the chain. That way you can make sure that the sprockets are aligned.

I also will spin the wheel backward, to see if the chain rolls on the sprocket smoothly, if the sprockets are out of alignment, it might have a tendency to try to climb off the rear when spun backward.

huskey89

Jul 27, 2008
ok the problem is that when i tighten the axle bolt, the swing arm flexes and moves the axle at an angle. this is because it does not flex where the plate was welded to fix the swing arm. how can i fix this

huskey89

Jul 27, 2008
well the bike alinment of the wheel was fine before, so i don't think the spacers are the problem. what do you mean by there proper position?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Compare it to the manual, parts micro-fiche? Not how it was in particular. Afterall, it was broke, then fixed, and broke again, then fixed? There should not be a big spread when you take the axle nut off, most are still snug. When that side broke, it had to do something to the otherside also. The new swingarm shopping is not going so good?

huskey89

Jul 27, 2008
no the swing arm shoping is not going good. cant find any at all really, what do these spacers look like and where do they go?

Top Bottom