Votes: 72 13.3%
  • I'm not a KDX owner and i repack every other year

Votes: 19 3.5%
  • I'm not a KDX owner and i repack more than once per year

Votes: 68 12.6%

• Total voters

kanrandy

Apr 26, 2003
:fft: I have the FMF Power Core II- waited like you for 2 years- spooge coming out of the rivets and the endcap- bought the FMF packing material for 7 bucks from Rocky Mountain. Made some difference in sound but more noticeably I picked up low-end snap. Now do this 2 times per year.

NSPHIL

Nov 14, 2005
Well, this kinda ties in with muffler maintenance.
Where can I get the replacement stickers for the Turbine Core II, I see they sell rivet kits with replacement logos for all the 4-stroke exhuasts, they must have them for the TCII?

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
I have never seen replacement stickers for the TCII. I usually just find my own preferred sticker or leave it clean.

NSPHIL said:
Well, this kinda ties in with muffler maintenance.
Where can I get the replacement stickers for the Turbine Core II, I see they sell rivet kits with replacement logos for all the 4-stroke exhuasts, they must have them for the TCII?

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
I've tried to find stickers for my TCII also, but no luck. I ended up just putting the regular FMF sticker on it. If anyone knows where to get them, please let us know!

NSPHIL

Nov 14, 2005
Yes, please do!
I have tried contacting FMF on several occasions with no luck of course, I am very picky about the way things look. Think I will use the standard FMF stickers as well for the moment.
To think, I was actually considering getting the Powercore 4 rivet kit just for the logo, that would have looked dumb.

pete fry

Mar 9, 2004
In the process of repacking my tailpipe now.Notice she had got louder and after reading this I thought maybe its time.The packing aroung the perforated pipe is now very black and rock hard.So I think noise wise I should notice a difference.

paab

Aug 31, 2006
What's the word on repacking the 88-94 style silencers? Or, where can I find an aftermarket can with the straight pipe for that style exhaust?

lite_em_up

Nov 27, 2006
Muffler Repack Materials

I saw several posts by people bragging about using home insulation as packing material! This stuff is NOT meant for exhaust systems. It's a bunch of fiberglass fibers glued together to give it structure, like cotton candy. Problem is the glue BURNS out at about 500°F, leaving a bunch of free-flying fibers and burned glue residue. That's about the LAST insulation I'd put in a muffler! OEM Materials Engineers would laugh me out of the room if I mentioned that stuff!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
This stuff is NOT meant for exhaust systems, ....like cotton candy.

Which is why I use cotton candy!! It smells good, too!!

Cerealy, I'd hope that after it was used once, a quick look at such packing (basic insulation) on removal would change anyone's mind that it's up to the job.

Bet'cha lots'a folks just put more in, though!! :whoa:

lite_em_up3

Jan 18, 2007
Packing

I can tell you this, if home insulation worked in exhaust systems, OEM exhaust makers for autos, dirt bikes, motorcycles, snowmobiles and jet skis, and any other exhaust maker would use it simply to save a penny per unit given the amount of material they consume. They don't use it because it's fiberglass-based wool, with a binder (glue) whereby the glue burns out at sub-500F. Once the glue burns, the fibers have no binder which held them to form. At about 850-875F, well below exhaust temperatures, the fibers begin hardening which means losing their thermal and acoustic properties.

Hey, maybe the cloud of fibers coming out the exhaust IS pretty!

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
lite_em_up said:
I saw several posts by people bragging about using home insulation as packing material!

Has anyone tried office insulation? One benefit is it's tax deductible.
Asbestos soaked in creosote I heard works good to!

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
sharky_101 said:
i opened mine up today and its got no 'material' inside it. just a reducer looking thing.. where and how i put the packing stuff on mine?

Take your silencer end cap off and pull the pipe out.

Make sure all the holes in the pipe are clear.

Wrap your silencer material around the mesh pipe and tape into place using 1/4" masking tape sparingly to hold it on.

Put the pipe back into the silencer body and reattach the end cap.

RD guy

Jan 20, 2007
RD guy

I have a gnarly rev but I did not get the FMF silencer because I already spend enough time cleaning and adjusting my bike. I do long rides 80 to 150 miles in the desert and mountains around Tucson about once a month. This would make repacking necessary after about every three rides. Yuk.

The gnarly pipe made a big difference over the stock pipe, would the FMF silencer help even more? I have not seen any comment about whether or not the after market silencer really makes that big of a performance difference over stock.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
The biggest difference between the FMF and the stocker is weight. The stock silencer is a pig, but performance isn't that bad. Some people say there is no difference, on my bike there was a little. It seemed to pull a touch longer and have a hair quicker throttle response with the FMF. Of course, this was on a bike that was ported, modded head, bored carb, yadda yadda yadda. On a more stock bike I can't say if the gain would be the same. But like I said, even on my 220 the difference was minimal. More of mental thing possibly....

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
i had a p/c pipe with the stock muffler on my 220, then i swapped the muffler for a turbine core item. it made the bike louder and it weighed less but as for performance increase i honestly couldn't tell! afterwards i kinda thought i wasn't worth the money.

chrisp80

Jun 5, 2008
Help repacking silencer

I'm a newbie, I just bought a 89 kdx 200 and I've never repacked a silencer but i have way to much spooge in the silencer and it actually leaks from the juction between the silencer and the pipe.

I dont know how to wrap it so its not to tight, or to loose. Is there a step by step guide to do this or some picture showing the process? I have a FMF pipe and silencer and there website doesnt have really good info on how to do it.

Thanks everyone.

Hawk5443

Apr 15, 2008
Repacking silencer

I had a "92 KDX 250 with a stock pipe and silencer that was pretty easy to re-pack. I upgraded to an '03 KDX 220, which has a stock exhaust system. The bike is starting to blow oil and I am sure that the pipe and silencer are full of spooge. When I looked at the silencer, there is no way to break it down. It has a plug in the bottom, presumably to drain it, so I assume that there is no packing material. The plan is to use lacquer thinner to clean the whole system. Are my assumptions coprrect?

Thanks.

Imaginos82

Jul 24, 2008
concerned

I just bought an 88 Kdx 200 and took it out riding for the first time in the desert, and the end cap on the silencer(being held on only by a solitary screw on top) must have allowed the mesh tube on the inside along with the packing to fly out when i hit the powerband one time.

my question is simple
-is it bad for the bike not to have the mesh tube or packing in the silencer while riding and does it need to be replaced before the next ride?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Imaginos82 said:
I just bought an 88 Kdx 200 and took it out riding for the first time in the desert, and the end cap on the silencer(being held on only by a solitary screw on top) must have allowed the mesh tube on the inside along with the packing to fly out when i hit the powerband one time.

my question is simple
-is it bad for the bike not to have the mesh tube or packing in the silencer while riding and does it need to be replaced before the next ride?
Yes

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom