Hawaii-Rider

Feb 24, 2001
Hey folks, trying to see if anyone has any detailed info on these. Local dealer has one on his heavily moded XR400 and swears by it. Clutch engages at a set RPM (mechanical device)
Nice thing about it if it works (didnt get to ride it) it would functionally eliminate the need to electric starting, as the bike once started, would/couldnt stall, so the only time the engine would die would be kill switch related or fuel.
hmmm
bad side, cost......$900. swaps out basket and pressure plate......Thanx!!!

HR
:cool:

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
Hey, I'm interested in that too. My wife says she'd ride a dirtbike, but not one with a clutch. It'd have to be automatic. She'd probably find another excuse not to ride as soon as I overcome this one.:(

Jeremy

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
A friend of mine owned a couple of '94 Husky 350's with an auto-clutch. It was a fun bike to ride and great for doing trail work, but it did have a few down sides.
1) The transmission had to be in neutral to start the bike.
2) The engine would stall if trying to pull too high of a gear.
3) No engine braking.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Dave Wood mentioned something about this kind of thing at the last Downieville class - sounded pretty impressed. I'm very interested in seeing one in action.

Brian

Hawaii-Rider

Feb 24, 2001
I will try to see......

If I can get back to the local shop and see if they have any detailed information on the thing, as it appears that possibly no one on this forum has had the opp to see it.
The guy said he had all the engine braking ......(clutch kicked in a very low rpm)
could pull any gear almost........(his XR had the honda powerup kit, new carb etc etc etc....so go figure)
But he said all he had to do was crack the throttle and up went the front end, also up here in the tight woods he would rail into a corner, brake slide sideways.....bike settled into an idle, then change directions........go........
very sweet..........but......I will try to chase down more info....he said the firm was located in Colorado...

be good all....
HR
:cool:

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
Hawaii, which dealer is it that you are talking about? I'm very close to you, and would like to go look at the bike too. Let me know if you find out any more details.

Jeremy

Hawaii-Rider

Feb 24, 2001
probably closer than you want!

;)
I work at Fort Lewis, North Fort.
Its the co-owners bike at the honda dealer in West Olympia there by the auto mall...off Cooper Point Road.
This XR is a rolling showcase for kewl stuff we all wish we could hang off a bike....you name it, he has it.......probably $10K easy of stuff on it......
its just a couple of blocks from my house......
ALso
Hey XR.....where you would recommend a guy get a flatbed trailer.....haul say 5 bikes.....until I get one I cant RIDE!!!!!
AAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH :(

HR :cool:

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
Well I've never really looked for them, since I have a truck. But, the 2 local dealers I go to (Hinshaws, and RMC) both have trailers that they sell. Are you looking for a trailer that just is a big, flat platform, like to hold quads, or a trailer possibly with rails that can hold 5 bikes? I may be going to Hinshaws in a few hours, and can check for you if you let me know what exactly you are looking for.

Jeremy

Top Bottom