fire escape

Jan 29, 2001
I ride a 250f and have trouble with harshness during Hare Scrambles-I am a 160 lb 40+ C rider -I have decided to revalve but don't know which route.Should I buy and install Gold Valves with .42 springs up front or should I send it all out? If I send it out should I go with a local guy with Florida H.S. experience or send it to one of the big shops? Will Gold Valves be better than stock valves reworked? I like the idea of being able to change the valving myself ( Gold Valve ) and I'm not afraid of the installation but Gold Valves for front and rear and springs for the front are close to the price of sending it off and not having to touch it .Also Race Tech says .42 springs are needed, big suspension shops say stock is ok ( all agree that shock spring is ok for 160 lbs).I would appreciate any input-THANKS I would also like to add the suspension feels great during moto at local MX track and sand whoops and big hits during a H.S. are not a problem. Can I make it plusher without losing these attributes? Again I can tell you in the roots this thing will jar fillings - is it my settings? forks are all the way soft as are theshock settings.Rebound is full hard up front and slower than stock in the back. The shock doesn't feel too bad, should I just get the .42 springs? (stock is .44 )HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
I would go with the gold valves. It is so good to be able to do your own work. Only you know exactly what you expect from this suspension. I would go with the stock fork springs, Gold Valves type 1 and a 2 stage valve stack.

efi

Jul 23, 2000
I wouldn't go with Gold Valves. I have installed the GV's on past bikes of mine and wasn't too impressed with what they did.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
my comment would be-what is the reason for the rebound setting on the fork?you should not need/have the rebound set that hard-is there a fault with the fork?

fire escape

Jan 29, 2001
After reviewing the owners manual in reference to the stock settings I realize the fork rebound may have been set on overkill.Those settings resulted from a practice lap on a severely root infested woods track-after which my confidence on my new scoot was bottomed out.I took the bike to a friend and these settings slightly improved the initial harshness.I realize now that the tight rebound may have resulted in " packing " by not letting the forks return to full stroke. I don't believe there is any problem with the forks mechanically.I have another buddy with a WR250f and he said he is having the same problem and is getting his revalved.I have ridden my bike with stock settings and still get initial harshness.Basically that is my only complaint-both ends are fine for MX and sand/big hits in the woods.Thanks for any help-I'd like to figure it out before I throw a bunch of money at it!!!!!!

MN KDXer

Registered
Jun 7, 1999
I would suggest to send it out. I know it can seem expensive, but the results are well worth the money. I have tuned bikes in the past with fairly good results, but after having mine professionally done, I have a strong respect for the professionals, at least, the pros who know their stuff. Not all do, I have heard some riders with troubles.

Myself, I ride an 01 RM250, a bike with a reputation as needing fork work. I had it set up with suspension by Shocknut, a professional tuner who frequents this site, and I cannot say enough good things about his work. In the woods, it is SO versatile, it is almost amazing! I haven't yet been able to get it on the moto track for the final verdict, but I highly suspect it will work well there as well. :)

bashn

Dec 6, 2000
My suggestion is to talk to a reputable shop and tell them exactly what you want. RaceTech,ProCircuit, and MX-TECH are all reputable shops. My impression is MX-TECH may be better for Yamaha forks than some of the others. It sounds to me like you need valving that is closer to the WR than the YZ. Find a shop that will REALLY LISTEN to what your needs are, and you should be happy with the outcome.

Mark
'01 YZ250F
'00 DRZ400Y

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
FE,
I would tell you (Reiterating what everyone has already said) that a well designed suspension package will address all the issues described. Having a professional do it saves much time and effort. I think the opertunity cost of doing it yourself is something that is greatly misunderstood. (I'm not saying that those who like to do it shoukd not.. only those who look at it from the ecconmics side of things..)

Regards,
Jer

Top Bottom