cweingartz

Jun 6, 2000
No it wont beat all japaneese cars. You are unaware of the truly powerful cars coming from japan this is because they do not meet emissions in america and are not available in the states. Ford also has cars like this such as the cosworth that is not available in the US, the drawback of american cars is really the emissons requirements that they must meet. The nissan skyline for example is a six cylinder twin turbo and its all wheel drive. This car was built only to perform. A really cool car that you can get in america is the Honda S2000 which has a 240hp naturally aspirated 4-cylinder. There is no american car that has 120hp per litre straigh from the factory. By the way if you were wondering what naturally aspirated means, it means not turbo or super charger. Maybe you should put a harley engine in a cannondale and try to beat all japaneese dirtbikes.

Before you post you should know something about what you speak of.

-Chris

I was replying to treestompers last post but im afraid it is gone, oh well I hope he reads this. He said "...all jap cars..."

Last edited:

Kawierider

Jun 7, 2001
cweingartz,

did i say it would beat all japanese cars or most japanese cars. plus, how many horse power would a stock v-6 put out if it sarts with around 210 after twin turbos are added ? bump up the compression, put a k&n cold air intake, a new chip, headers, and an exhaust system on the car i bet it would be pushing around 300 hp if not more. The car already has a decent sport suspension, better tires, rollbars, stiffer springs and maybe an inch or two lowering combined with an air dam and wing would increae downforce. handleing wouldnt be an issue.I think that this would give any souped up japanese car in the states, including the s2000, a run for its money. On top of its most likely even horse power numbers the high compression, and larger displacement would give it better bottum end tourqe. Now, ive never seen this done to a car, but it seems to me that this would be a very competitive package.
Tim
p.s. i wasnt throwing a challenge out there i was throwing an idea i had out to see what people thought........dont talk to me like a moron, cause trust me, i know more than you think.

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
I wonder why people care so much about HP/ltr. Hell a S2000 is a great car, but where is all its power? Above 6500RPM's. No thanks, like I said in a earlier post, who wants to drive a car like that? You have to literally beat the crap out of it to get any power. Even Motortrend said the exact same thing, who wants to keep the revs up in everyday driving? Now, bringing out the R34 Skyline is a totally different ball of wax. Nothing state-side except for maybe the Z06 Vette,GTS Viper could even compete with that car.

Kawierider:

Bumping up the compression + twin turbo's = blown motor. :)

If anything you'd want to lower the compression so you could run more boost. You want power out of am American V6? Drop a 75-100 shot of N20 into and you'll have yourself a pretty fast light to light drag racer. But again, they aren't made to be performance cars, so trying to make them into something their not is going to take some time and $$$.

I'll just wait till 2003 (hopefully) when the Lancer EVO finally makes its was over here. I have been dreaming about this car for a long time. Even if I have to sell one of my kidneys, one WILL be parked in my driveway..

cweingartz

Jun 6, 2000
Bad news, from what Ive read if and when the evo comes to america, the perfomance will be down around wrx stats so that the price will be competittive.
Kawierider, I did not disagree with you. I was just saying that japan makes some cars to perform, others I dont think should be souped up. My point was that some not all japaneese cars perform closer to their potential than american cars. The S2000 and nissan skyline are by no means practical daily drivers. Then again a camaro with twin turbos would not be either. It a camaro had comparable hadling to a japaneese car and a comparable price I would buy it in a heart beat. As for the viper, I hear they have terrible understeer. By the ways thanks for sayin sorry that was cool.

As for me I have an s10 with a 2.2L 4-cylinder engine. IT is rated at 120hp at 5000rpm. I think the stupid thing shifts at 300rpm. I sure would like it if it had the same hp per litre that the S2000 has even if I had to rev it to 12000rpm:p .

I enjoy talking to you because you do know what you are talking about.

-Chris

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Originally posted by cweingartz
It a camaro had comparable hadling to a japaneese car and a comparable price I would buy it in a heart beat.
-Chris [/B]

A rear wheel drive car will never handle comparably to a front wheel drive car, apples to oranges. IMHO rear wheel drive vehicles handle better.
Camaros are great cars. My mother owns a '98 Z28 convertible, LS1 w/ automatic, fully loaded. 30mpg on the highway, will waste any import in its path and it's very comfortable to drive.

cweingartz

Jun 6, 2000
Did I say front wheele drive, no. What about the toyota supra its rear wheele drive and I know it will out handle a camaro. No that camaro will beat many imports but not all. Have a nice day and maybe read a automotive publication now and then or go to a race with import and american cars.

-Chris

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
cweingartz:

The EVO and the WRX are in 2 totally different classes. There have been rumors to the STi coming over, now THAT car is what the EVO will compete against. Not the WRX. I doubt that Mitsubishi is going to drop the performance that much, not with the STi just coming out in Australia. If the EVO ever makes it over, it will be a 276HP monster like it is in Japan. Then Subaru will counter with the STi and we finally have some awesome AWD monsters to play with. One thing about the Supra, they are great handlers, but ever see one run at the track? Major traction problems, for the amount of HP the BPU='s put out, they should be running way faster 60 foot times and 1/4 mile times. But traction is ahuge prob with those cars. Now maybe a ford 9' would help out a bit, but thats a pretty expensive venture on a daily driver.

Just some food for thought.

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
IMO, there is no such thing as a high performance front wheel drive car. Smokey Unick (sp?) wrote in one of his many books that if you built two cars as identical as possible with the only exception being one is front and the other rear wheel drive, that the rear wheel drive would outperform the front wheel drive in all aspects. I guess that's why you dont see front wheel drive NASCAR, IROC, IRL, CART or any other major sanctioning body running them professionally. (Yea, I know the Monte Carlo and others are front wheel drive from the factory. But, they dont RACE them like that do they???)
(Another of my gripes against NASCAR:think )
So, I'll stick to my rear wheel drive vehicles. Never owned a front wheel drive, never will.
But, busting the rear universal joint and putting it in 4 wheel drive and driving around like that is different.....and temporary!!! ;)

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
HogWylde. The ITR (Integra Type-R) is a pretty good performer in any aspect of looking at it. Maybe its a bit flat on the bottom end, like most jap cars, but it handles better than alot of the RWD american muscle out there. Plus it gets into the 14's in the 1/4 so its not THAT bad.

If you've ever seen the Motorola Cup on Speedvision, those ITR's can pace with the best of them...

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Rice Racing

What gets me is the way these rice cars attempt to "race" other cars.
They get blown away.
They are following.
The winning car shuts it down.
The rice car then whips around the car and waves (or other gesture) indicating "victory".

It happened to me yesterday...
I whupped a Honda Prelude and he did the ole "draft and pass move" on me after I had already shut it down. Yeah, you won....:think

-jeffd

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Originally posted by Hogwylde
I guess that's why you dont see front wheel drive NASCAR, IROC, IRL, CART or any other major sanctioning body running them professionally.
Is FIA not a major sanctioning body? Have you ever heard of the World Rally Championship? What about the Touring Car Championships held in Italy, Australia, Germany, Great Britain, and nearly every other country in the world? I have never liked front-wheel-drive cars, but they are raced professionally all over the world.

Last edited:

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
After reading almost all of this thread it seems that the "Bang for the Buck" theory comes up alot, for $9500.00 in the performance builder catagory, I put my money on a stock GSXR1000. I'd like to see what the same budget will get you in the car world other than a bigger trunk, larger passenger area & being able to drive in snow.

Last edited:
Top Bottom