dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
Hey what size of fly wheel weight do you recommend for an rm 250. I want to calm it down for the type of riding I do. The bike currently has a fmf fatty pipe and power core II silcencer.

Other than that is it bone stock.

Any suggestions. :cool:

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
And what year is it? The 03's "hit" is a real handful (dead off idle......then BOOM!) and additional weight alone wasn't enough for tight woods stuff.........and I'm talking a 12oz'er.
WAIT!! Just looked at your profile...........the 2000 was very light flywheeled from the factory, but not a monster power-house. If you're a MX guy I think 6oz would be a noticable difference........for woods, 8-12oz depending on how hard traction is to find. (terrain conditions) Good luck!

Last edited:

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I would try a steahly brand. Especicially if you dont know which weight you want.

He is able to lighten the weight for 10 bucks if you choose one too heavy to start with.

On my 97 yz, 13oz was too much. 6 was not enough.

My 06 YZ 250 has an 8oz and it feels perfect.

dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
I ride a 2000 RM 250.

The type of riding I do is mostly trails. The trails I ride are woods and some rolling hills. I do hit the motocross track now and then but mostly trails. The tractions on the woods and trials is good in the winter and a bit slick in the summer time. Do you think a 8 oz weight would be good, 2-Strokes 4-ever?

Also What exactly is a "steahly brand", and how do the work. I have never heard of them Rcannon.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
have you made sure your suspension and tires are correct for the conditions you are riding. I use to be all over the place when my powerband would kick in, my suspension was way out of tune and my tires sucked for what i was riding. Made all new adjustments to my suspension, new tires and I rode like I use to when I was out riding every weekend years back and was under full control at all times. This was my first time out in a year so it really made a huge difference. Just a thought

Quantumcanuck

Jun 14, 2005
I put a 9oz on my 2003 KZ250. It made a nice difference. Took that nasty edge away that the bike had in the lower few gears, specially 1st and 2nd. Pulled better out of corners is what I noticed the most. Easier to control. I'm not a master of throttle delivery. I tend to get half way through a corner and then just gas it. The fww stops my bike from getting squirrley on me thorugh the corner. Idles smoother as well and is a little easier to start but my KX has always been easy to start. I can leave it in a lower gear and chug more if I want to.

I'm not sure about Steahly but I think on my bike I would have need to use a thicker engine cover gasket to make room for the fww. Also, there's some tool that I hear people talk about that comes with Steahly kits.... they all say it's a joke... whatever it is. May or may not be true. Research it.

Mine is from SFB. It is a machined stainless steel and is super high quality. You just remove the nut from the centre of the stocker, put this one over it and use the nut supplied and torque back to spec. That clean and simple. No extra gaskets or anything like that.

Also, I seem to remember reading that the SFB fww is made of a more dense metal. This enables them to get the same weight with less material. Hence not having to use the thivker gasket to make room.

So, do some reasearch and you'll figure out what's best for your RM.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Quantumcanuck said:
I put a 9oz on my 2003 KZ250. It made a nice difference. Took that nasty edge away that the bike had in the lower few gears, specially 1st and 2nd. Pulled better out of corners is what I noticed the most. Easier to control. I'm not a master of throttle delivery. I tend to get half way through a corner and then just gas it. The fww stops my bike from getting squirrley on me thorugh the corner. Idles smoother as well and is a little easier to start but my KX has always been easy to start. I can leave it in a lower gear and chug more if I want to.

I'm not sure about Steahly but I think on my bike I would have need to use a thicker engine cover gasket to make room for the fww. Also, there's some tool that I hear people talk about that comes with Steahly kits.... they all say it's a joke... whatever it is. May or may not be true. Research it.

Mine is from SFB. It is a machined stainless steel and is super high quality. You just remove the nut from the centre of the stocker, put this one over it and use the nut supplied and torque back to spec. That clean and simple. No extra gaskets or anything like that.

Also, I seem to remember reading that the SFB fww is made of a more dense metal. This enables them to get the same weight with less material. Hence not having to use the thivker gasket to make room.

So, do some reasearch and you'll figure out what's best for your RM.

The SFB weight is nice. I have seen them, butr never bought one.

The steahly weight (in most cases) does require a spacer under your ignition cover. Its really no big deal, but I would prefer to avoid the spacer.

The tool must be the lock up tool he offers. It locks up the engine when your changing weights by replacing the spark plug with a piece of plastic. The silly looking tool is quite handy to have around.

dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
Thanks for the info guys. I think I am going to try the SFB FWW and maybe go with the 9 oz like Quantumcanuck did. Unless anybody has any more suggestions. Also how much damage will the SFB FWW do to my wallet???

Thanks

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
have you tried my suggestion at all? I'm telling you i was all about a FWW and now I dont need one. Its a free and simple to try

dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
sick 96 250

"have you tried my suggestion at all? I'm telling you i was all about a FWW and now I dont need one. Its a free and simple to try"

I have did what you asked. I actually got my suspension tuned about a month and a half ago. When I got the suspension done they put some new tires on for me. I got some Bridgestones 401 and 402's on my rm.

Top Bottom