brandname

Dec 7, 2008
Hi, im wondering if anyone can tell me the year of my suzuki possibly from the pictures?

I bought it as on 02, But when i redid the top end the first time the center 0 ring was too large so the next time i got a 01 kit and same problem again. When i broke the water pump i ordered an 01 pump cover which fitted. i decided then it was an 01 because the wheels ended with 300/600, meaning i think that its an 01. But I just ordered 01 linkage bearings but they dont seem to be the right ones.

The frame number is not there because it was powder coated when i bought it but i recently rubbed it down to find no framne number so its either been blasted of by a sand blaster or the bike was stolen at some point :(.
The only numbers i can find on the frame is on the side below where the tank would go it says k05.

Thanks in advance for any help.

the picture is from when i first bought it.

Attachments

• bikeom2.jpg
    bikeom2.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 203

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
i believe suzuki name his models after 2000 with k**... if i am correct your bike is 2005

brandname

Dec 7, 2008
helio lucas said:
i believe suzuki name his models after 2000 with k**... if i am correct your bike is 2005

i was thinking that aswell but no mx shops i spoke to ever mentioned an actuall year number on the frame. The only numbers i really have are the k05 on the frame and the engine number, although the engine number seems to be no use for anything. :bang:

If this is any help, The 01 linkage kit i ordered consists off 6 bearings all the same size, whereas my linkage needs 4 the same size and 1 a different size. Total 5 bearings.

Last edited:

brandname

Dec 7, 2008
ron89 said:
what there is no vin on the frame?..

No, when i bought it, it was powder coated. As shown in the photo.But when i started needing parts i rubbed it down to check the vin and it was not there. There are no obvious marks to show it has been grinded off so i was hoping that maybe the numbers came off when it got sandblasted before the coating.

Obviously not knowing the correct year has made getting parts very hard. :think:

Last edited:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
The VIN should be stamped into the steering tube so they don't come off without a grinder. That is either a 2001 or a 2002 as it's the new body style but the 03 had a different pattern in the brake discs. In 04 the RM250's switched to Showa suspension and that bike has KYB so it's an 01 or 02 which share the majority of parts.

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
When you bought it I take it you got it without paper work? I'm going to be a twat and go ahead and point out the obvious-- check the pink slip? If that fails, you could probably look for specific markings on the motor or under the gas tank and google it and see what years come back.

brandname

Dec 7, 2008
Hi, i know where the vin should be, Its just not there, So the bike has obviously either been stolen or somehow the vin has been accidently removed ( i have owned the bike for 2 years). The only thing is the location where the vin should be, there are no obvious grind marks it is very smooth all the way around.

i also never got any paperwork with it, wasnt even aware that you got such a thing with mx bikes.

i can upload photos of the frame where the vin should be but i dont think it will do much good.

Still a bit stumped at what year it is though, chillis comments were usefull, at least that may confirm that it is either an 01 or 02.

brandname

Dec 7, 2008
inotocracy said:
Have you tried looking up individual parts to see what years they fit? It could help narrow it down.

i have tried an 01 top end gasket kit on it and an 02 and both times the piston oring was too big so i had to use the old one. An 01 water pump cover fits, 01 linkage bearings seem to not fit. 02 plastics go on but dont fit quite right.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
01-08 RM125's & 250's use the same plastic so if it didn't fit it was an issue with poor plastic, the only difference in any years of RM plastic from 01-08 is the size of the air box vents cut into the side panels as they got larger in 03.

As far as gaskets 2001 and 2002 Suzuki RM250's use the exact same gaskets sets and piston kits so there should be no difference. Pistons don't have o-rings are you referring to the o-ring for the cylinder head?

As far as I recall the 01 and 02 use different linkage bearings, if the 01's did not fit then it's a very good chance the bike is an 02.

Last edited:

brandname

Dec 7, 2008
Chili said:
01-08 RM125's & 250's use the same plastic so if it didn't fit it was an issue with poor plastic, the only difference in any years of RM plastic from 01-08 is the size of the air box vents cut into the side panels as they got larger in 03.

As far as gaskets 2001 and 2002 Suzuki RM250's use the exact same gaskets sets and piston kits so there should be no difference. Pistons don't have o-rings are you referring to the o-ring for the cylinder head?

Yeah its the o-ring on the cylinder head , you have an outer and an inner, i think its the inner one that i had problems with. As for the plastics they were ufo parts. maybe just not a good make. Do u know if there are any parts that an 01 and 02 would have different. Its just the bike is completely dissasembled at the moment so now is the time i can get a good look at everything.

Ahh, just noticed your linkage part. when i bought it the guy did say it was an 02 but seeing as i couldnt find the vin been hard to tell.

Jan 12, 2008
The swingarm on yours is a 2001 it doesnt have any taper at the rear of the swingarm, in 2002 to current Suzuki changed the swingarm so that it tapers at the rear where the axle is. Also in 02 they switched the rims to Excel and I dont see any of the red writing on your rims unless they say Excel in red in the parts of the photo that I cant see. Also in 2001 the 250 top clamp was solid mount to the handle bars like yours and in 2002 Suzuki switched to rubber mounted bar mounts. I would say 01

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
hutcholdschool said:
The swingarm on yours is a 2001 it doesnt have any taper at the rear of the swingarm, in 2002 to current Suzuki changed the swingarm so that it tapers at the rear where the axle is. Also in 02 they switched the rims to Excel and I dont see any of the red writing on your rims unless they say Excel in red in the parts of the photo that I cant see. Also in 2001 the 250 top clamp was solid mount to the handle bars like yours and in 2002 Suzuki switched to rubber mounted bar mounts. I would say 01

Good call on the swingarm, I forgot about that change. I wasn't sure on the mounts especially since these also have a O/S adapter in them.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom