brianRM250

Mar 14, 2007
Hi Guys,
I'm not sure what to do here and I'm hoping someone could guide me in the right direction.

I have an 03 RM250 and lately it's been smoking and spraying oil all over the rear fender and fouling out plugs about every 8 hours of riding. Riding yesterday all of a sudden I noticed the the exhaust started to smell differently...real sweet smelling and puffing more smoke. I looked in the radiator and it was brownish with oil rainbows in it. Did i blow some gaskets? If so, I am assuming I shouldn't ride it anymore until i get it fixed.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
First place to look would be your head gasket. If the head gasket is good, check your water pump seals. The sweet smell and smoke is most likely coolant.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Sounds like a head gasket. You appear to have a leak between your cooling system and combustion chamber. Taking it apart and inspecting is the only way you'll know for sure.

Good luck, Steve.

brianRM250

Mar 14, 2007
Well i went to the local shop and they told me it's not a head gasket but two rubber o-rings. Bought those for $4.00 came hope and took the head off. The ones that were in there were dry rotted and corroded. So i cleaned everything up and put the new ones in. I sprayed some wd-40 in the cylinder so it wouldn't be dry when i started it. When i fired it up it smoked out the neighborhood. I have to go take it for a ride to see if it fixes the problem.

Top Bottom