MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
YZMAN400 said:
Well I got thru SOS without a hitch and I have a plate for Skippy. Im a happy camper.

That's great! I got one DOT tire on tonight after getting home from Chicago (a GREAT family weekend, much needed). The second one tomorrow.

Did the SOS ask for proof of insurance? They shouldn't have, just curious, cause I hope to be there on Wednesday getting my plate.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Yes you will need your proof of insurance if you are gonna get a plate at the same time along with the title. Title and plate is $31.

They also ask you for reciepts for all the parts you added to make it street legal. I didn't have any of these receipts so I lied and said that I took all the parts off another bike I had. You have to fill out a sheet stating were you got the parts and that they were existing stuff you had laying around. Piece of cake.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Yeah, thought so. Motorcycles are not under the no-fault law yet, so I don't think you're required to show proof of insurance. I'm taking it anyway. I knew about the bill of sale, I have a bill of sale showing I bought the bike that way. Thanks for the tip!

I got my new tires on FINALLY tonight. The sherrif gets a call tomorrow, it should be clear sailing this time, there's nothing else for them to pick on!

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
So I get my new DOT's mounted last night, and call the sheriff's dept to get someone out to inspect and sign off the bike. I got EVERYTHING covered. I even bought a KTM Australian/European Tail LIght lens so the license lamp is integrated into the rear lens.

So the guy comes and looks, stares at the VIN, then kind of wonders off into la-la land. I show him that all the electrics are there, horn etc. He doesn't even seem interested. Then his eye's move down to the tires and he wakes up and quickly says "I can't sign this off, those aren't DOT tires!". Geez! Didn't even look. I say, as politely as I can at this time, that these are indeed DOT's. We search for the little DOT on the tires, find them, and he still isn't really sure. :| He says "where are the tires that were on here?". So I take him in the barn, show him the tires, and show him that they say "Not for Highway Use". I also explain that a little doggie on the east side of the state suggested I rub out the "Not for" part and try to fool Mr. Smart Sheriff. He asks for Smit Dog's address, phone number and place of employment. I said "If I turn him in, will you sign my form?" He says "Sure, thanks for turning in one of those loser lawbreakers." Youza! What an ordeal!

Sorry you'll probably miss Rites of Spring Smit Dog, but we know you'll be turning out some nice blue plates for our bikes!
:laugh:

The DOT tire part of this little proverb is 100% true. Smit Dog is safe though.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
So then Mister Legal Beagle......

How'd ya get the front brake lever to activate the brake light?

And here's a plate for ya! :moon:

Attachments

• Stnkr.gif
    Stnkr.gif
    15.7 KB · Views: 95

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003

They never even asked me to activate with the front brake lever. Maybe you just looked suspicious to them and they felt the need to run you thru the ringer.

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
MWEISSEN said:
After trying with Ottawa, Jenison and Walker sherriff/police, I still don't have a legalized bike. The electric requirements are spot-on, it's the darn tires that have stopped the process in all cases. Must be police agencies are cracking down a little more, or I just picked a bad place to live and get a bike legalized.

Well I've decided to get some DOT tires. The typical choice is Kenda Trakmaster, but I"ve had them on my XR250 and really didn't care for them, especially the front, which washed out unpredictably.

I've settled on the Pirelli MT83 front tire, but am still struggling with the rear. Rocky Mountain lists the MT32 rear as being legal, and confirmed it on the phone, but nobody else lists it as a DOT tire. I've also identified the Michelin AC10 and Enduro Comp III, but they're a lot of bucks, and I'm not sure about tread depth.

I'm going to see the KTM dealer here in Rochester MN tomorrow (yeah, I'm back at the Mayo Clinic this week), and see if they have any advice.

I'm sure you guys can give me some advice. Is the MT32 rear really DOT legal? Are there any other suggestions?

By the way, I rode my KTM yesterday for awhile, and lost it on our road. I went down hard and watched the KTM slide past me down the pavement. The only thing that took damage on the bike were scratches on the front fender and rear axle nut. I was very surprised. I didn't fare as well, and can't lift my right arm past straight out, and have a few good scrapes. The docs out here won't be too happy with me, because I wasn't supposed to ride a bike yet. But, I think they were talking about the bikes I owned last time I talked to them, not a new one. ;)
If you want, I can LEND you my Metzler karoos to pass inspection, them just bring em back once you get your plate. there are 90/90-21 and 140/80-18 let me know if your interested. im in GR most weekends and I can help you mount em up. :cool:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
BigEasy said:
Got a busy signal last time I called. Will get ahold of you Mike about tires. :nod:

You mean Mark? Let's hook up, I can bring them in to Grand Haven with me and arrange a drop off at noon or after 5 any day except Mondays.

You want the basically-new inner tubes also?

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Wolf Child said:
If you want, I can LEND you my Metzler karoos to pass inspection, them just bring em back once you get your plate. there are 90/90-21 and 140/80-18 let me know if your interested. im in GR most weekends and I can help you mount em up. :cool:

Wolf Child, thank you very much for the offer, that's a class act! I broke down and bought some DOT's and am leaving them on the bike. Maybe you should bring the Karoo's AND the bike one of those weekends!

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Smit-Dog said:

And here's a plate for ya! :moon:

Young Ted was wondering if these come in State of Illinois colors?

Just for edification, the TR-54 just says "Brake Light". Then in another section it says "Brakes, front and rear (adequate to stop and hold the vehicle). It doesn't say the front brake has to light the brake light. For that matter, it doesn't say the rear one has to either! :nener:

I also did Bike-Line for insurance. Great people! My Progressive policies on the road bikes is going to BIke-Line also. I'll save about $250 per year just on the road bikes.

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
Wow, 17 days and 7 web pages to get a plate for your bike! I really need to get busy and finish mine so I can get it plated. Hopefully it will go smoother with Livingston County Sheriff / Howell Police when I call them. Glad to here that you finally getting your plate.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
MWEISSEN said:
...Just for edification, the TR-54 just says "Brake Light". Then in another section it says "Brakes, front and rear (adequate to stop and hold the vehicle). It doesn't say the front brake has to light the brake light. For that matter, it doesn't say the rear one has to either!
So I could hook up a switch to my sphincter, which activates a big red light mounted on my chest protector, and still be legal? :)

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
MWEISSEN said:
Wolf Child, thank you very much for the offer, that's a class act! I broke down and bought some DOT's and am leaving them on the bike. Maybe you should bring the Karoo's AND the bike one of those weekends!
where do you ride around GR? I may be moving their soon.

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Smit-Dog said:
So I could hook up a switch to my sphincter, which activates a big red light mounted on my chest protector, and still be legal? :)

"Hes got skills....hes training to be a cage fighter" :cool:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Smit-Dog said:

Ya gotta make a face like this to activate the light though ===> :yikes:

Make sure you use a low voltage source there Smitty! Those tissues down there are kinda sensitive!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Me thinks the sphincter reaction time would be quicker than my Sidi fumbling around for the brake pedal!

Make sure you use a low voltage source there Smitty! Those tissues down there are kinda sensitive!
I won't even ask how you know that...

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Smit-Dog said:
Me thinks the sphincter reaction time would be quicker than my Sidi fumbling around for the brake pedal!

Apparently that Smitpouch has never had major surgery Mark so he dont know about what those Nurses do to you to get you to go poo-poo... Makes me wince just thinking about it...
Gotta go with Mark on this one Sir William - careful what your hooking up to your self down there - those brake lights are suppose to be bright but they dont have to be THAT bright :rotfl:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Smit-Dog said:

Ahem, well that's what I heard anyway :fft:

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Would any of you sphincter buffs be aware that the name came about due to the sexual life of a camel? Put this in the category of learning something new every day.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
INCA said:
Would any of you sphincter buffs be aware that the name came about due to the sexual life of a camel? Put this in the category of learning something new every day.

I'm having a difficult time envisioning this Ted, but please don't help me, I'm not sure I want to know. :clue:

Top Bottom