Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
I just looked at a plumbers truck that was a used ryder truck. (1993) It had the van front end w/a 6x10 box. 3/4 ton w/ 1 ton springs. It is a ford w/ a 4.9 six in it. Think 3/4 ton van with a 6x10 box behind the driver. It's high milage 177k but it is in very good condition. It was professionally maintained, and he had all the slips. Plus the guys house and his other trucks were all meticulous. it is almost over kill for what i need, but a box you can stand up in, sure looked nice!! he's looking for $3900 said he'd take $3750

anyone got any experience w/ used ryder trucks of this sort?

My concerns are: 177k is a lot of miles even for a well maintained engine. How solid is that 4.9??

Do you think thats enough motor for a rig that size?? If I haul out to NY or VT I'm going to want something that can run down the highway at 75 and not run out of breath.

The ac don't work god knows what that'll cost to fix.

thoughts anyone!!

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Is that Ryder as in Ryder Rental?

If its a used ex-rental I would be very careful. Rental vehicle get beat to heck. Get in drive it hard and return it.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The 4.9 Ford is a rock solid engine and if the il has been changed on a regular basis 177K is not a big deal. The hp & torque rating is pretty close to the 302. My dad had 200K on his little F150 and even used it a few times to tow his 28' boat! :eek: Until he go his 4x4 Dodge HD. Looking to cruise at 75 with a box might be asking a bit much though.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
I had a 4.9 (actually in '76 it was called a 300) straight 6 in a '76 F-150. My uncle bought the truck brand new in '76 and towed a 22 ft. travel trailer all over the lower 48 and had a 10 ft. slide-in camper for two trips up to Alaska. I bought the truck from him in '85 with 100k on the odometer. I towed a 17 ft. Checkmate and 19 ft. Sea-Ray. In '89, at 157k, I pulled the engine due to a hole burned in #5 piston. I gave the engine to a friend who installed it in his tractor. That engine is still running today... with the holy piston.

MRRMX

Nov 24, 1999
If it was Maintained by Ryder til it was put up on the market. It was serviced on a reguler basis. They spec. their trucks out very well.
They couldnt afford a truck that cant preform or hold up. True some units are abuseded. But if it was a long term rental unit or a lease unit. The drivers for the most part take care of them. It would stand to reason that if it was a problem child the plumber would of encountered the problem. ask the owner for the maitainance records that came with the truck. Ryder should of given the buyer the history of this unit.If you do buy it do a tranny sevice, drain the rear end and put in fresh oil. change the coolant if its over 2 years old. You can do the the full service for under 80.00 if you do the work. AS far as the A/C goes. I maybe a R-12 set up. Plan on a compressor and drier to start. Fords have a poor A/C line set up. Check the ball joints before buying this unit, 300 plus for all four to be changed.

MRRMX

Nov 24, 1999
Forgot ...It may have the max speed set 65 mph. A lot of rentals
was set up this way to stop inexperanced driver for doing 75mph in a
parcel van. You know its the insurnace/goverment thing.

Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
Thanks for the replies guys!! I let the rig go. It was more than i needed. thanks for the run down on the 4.9. I see alot of vans w/this motor but haven't bothered because i've been looking at v 8's. It gives me another angle to check out.

Top Bottom