zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Four weeks ago, zia (my wife) decided we are too fat. She dug our “Body For Life” book out of the closet & went on a rampage. I’ve been fighting the fat ever since my son was born almost 4 years ago. Prior to that, I had been hitting the gym every morning for 1 to 1 ½ hours, 5 days a week for close to 14 months. I was in better shape than ever, looked decent, and felt great about myself. I didn’t try to educate myself about what I was doing, and now know I didn’t make the most of my efforts. I’m posting this to possibly educate & motivate any DRN’er who’s currently training, on the fence about starting a new training program, or discouraged by their increasing pant size.

First of all, as with anything, education is the key to proper fitness. It’s like jetting- the more you learn, the more you realize there is to learn. It’s never ending. And you’re constantly saying to yourself “geeze, if only I knew that last week” and so on. It’s part of what motivates me to keep pushing. There are several good websites that give good, free, scientifically supported data that I’ve almost become addicted to: www.hussman.org/fitness, and www.bodybuilding.com.

For anyone who wondered why they can’t seem to lose weight, let me start off by giving an overview of how I used to eat. I ate fast food at least once a month, sometimes lots more. I love bread. I love tortillas. I love chips. I love pasta. I don’t like vegetables. I don’t get a sweet tooth often, but I’ve been known to down a pint of Hagen Daas now & then. And I like beer. Lots of beer. I rarely ate breakfast (just didn’t really have an appetite), but when I did it was usually biscuits w/ butter & jelly, or cereal. Lunch almost always consisted of a big sandwich or a burger w/ fries or chips. Dinner was similar. My portions were huge. I love taking big bites. I love feeling stuffed after a meal. I would often feel guilty about they way I ate, and go on a “health” kick for a few days to make up for it. My “healthy” meals would be a sandwich w/ lettuce & no mayo (but lots of cheese), getting the grilled chicken breast combo from Wendy’s instead of fried chicken, drinking diet coke instead of regular, and eating a few bites of broccoli with a meal. Boston Market always felt like a healthy alternative to McDonalds, too. I even quit snacking in between meals in an attempt to slow down the growth of my spare tire. And I never drank a glass of water.

Here’s what I’ve recently learned that has totally changed the way I eat, probably for the rest of my life....

We burn fuel just like our dirtbikes do. Each of us has a certain base-level of calories we burn each day, based on our age, gender, height, and lean body mass. Let’s call this “idling”. Fitness folks call it your Base Metabolic Rate. If all we did was idle in the pits all day, we’d burn this much calories. Here’s the basic formula to calculate your BMR (taken from www.hussman.org/fitness):

Men: BMR = 66 + (6.23 x "typical" pounds) + (12.7 x inches) - (6.8 x age)
Women: BMR = 655 + (4.35 x "typical" pounds) + (4.7 x inches) - (4.7 x age)
The 66 and 655 aren't typos.

So, let’s take me, for example. 66 + (My total weight is 195 x 6.23 =1214.85) + (My height is 71 inches x 12.7 =901.7) – (my age is 29 x 6.8 = 197.2) = a BMR of 1985.35 calories/day.

Eating fewer calories than needed isn’t like running out of gas 20 miles from your truck, though. Nor is overfilling the tank before you hit the trail. Your body has ways making it’s own energy in the event of a deficit, or storing excess energy consumed for that “rainy day”. For most of us, we’ve banked a few years worth of “rainy days”. When we take in fewer calories than needed to burn in a day, that’s called “caloric deficit”. When that happens, our brain sends out a message to the General Forum “NEED FUEL! BURN FAT!”.

So the first lesson is, if you want to lose weight (fat), you need to create a caloric deficit. Every pound of fat is equal to 3500 calories. Therefore, if I want to burn a pound of fat each week, I need to create an average caloric deficit of 500 calories a day. If all I did was lay in bed, that’d mean I had to keep my intake below 1485 calories/day.

Also, there’s such thing as eating too few calories. If your body thinks it’s being starved, it’ll actually attempt to store many of those calories as fat & instead burn some muscle. That’s not good. So the solution is to eat several small meals a day (5-6) and keep your body from feeling hungry. A small caloric deficit throughout the day is what stimulates your body to burn the fat stores! Most experts say that you should never consume less than 10% of your BMR

Obviously, we burn more calories in a day than just our BMR. If you’re daily life is still fairly sedentary (like mine), multiply your BMR by 1.15 to get a better idea of how many calories you burn a day. If you’re more active, multiply it by 1.2. If you exercise, you obviously will burn more calories than your BMR. If you DO INTENST exercise for 20-40 minutes, change that to 1.5 to 1.6 times your BMR for that day. So for me, that’d equal roughly 2977 calories burned per day. I’ve been keeping my caloric intake between 1800 and 2100 a day. Plus I’ve been exercising each day, so I’m still creating a caloric deficit of at least 800 or so each day. It’s not that hard. Now that I know what I know, it’s never been easier to pass up a Big Mac. Anyone want to guess how many calories one of those has?

I mentioned in the beginning that I’m doing Body for Life. For those of you who haven’t heard of it, it’s nothing new. It’s not really a diet like The Zone or Atkins (which, btw, is very unhealthy. I have tons of new info on that & will post later). This is changing your whole life & how you treat your body. It’s a 12 week challenge, wherein you eat 6 small meals a day, and exercise 6 times a week. 3 of those days are weightlifting for 40-45 mintues, 3 are cardio workouts of 20 minutes. Sunday is your off-day. You can even cheat & eat a pizza & chips if you want on Sunday. Bill Phillips (the man who wrote the book & started the annual challenge) just borrowed from lots of different folks & put it all together in an easy, motivational program that works.
Zia & started on 2/3/03. We’re on week 3. We’ve both lost several pounds. It’s hard to tell by the scale, because I’m building muscle as I burn the fat. But I feel 10 times better physically than I did 3 weeks ago, and I can even see a small difference in the mirror. I took a before picture that I’ll post here, and I’m going to take a new photo every 4 weeks.

If you think it’s too hard to stick to a diet, let me give you an example of what I eat in a typical day:
Breakfast: one packet of instant oatmeal (maple & brown sugar), ½ cup of lowfat cottage cheese.
Snack: protein shake
Lunch: tuna fish (no mayo) on toasted wheat w/ lettuce, half a pear.
Snack: protein par (man, these things taste good!)
Dinner: Baked Mahi Mahi (garlic, butter, seasoning), broccoli (as much as I want), 1/3 cup brown rice
Snack: protein shake

And I drink at least a gallon of water a day. That’s probably the hardest part. I’m never hungry, but man I sure pee a lot. Otherwise, there’s only really one big meal that I have to prepare. The rest is as easy as eating junk food. If I’m traveling, I take an extra protein bar & some beef jerky with me for the road. And if I have to eat out, I just stick with grilled chicken salads w/ fat free dressing. Food has become a tool for me. I don’t see it as recreation any more. I’m interested in it from a nutritional standpoint, but that’s it. I’ll even swallow green beans if I have to.

It really helps that zia is on board with me. Actually, it’s more like I’m on board with her. But as the days go by, and the fat sheds, my interest and passion for living this way grows. We’re driving everyone we know crazy. We’re always excited to get home after a workout to tell the other how awesome it was. Zia has pictures cut out of muscle magazines plastered all over the house.
I’ll get more into the workouts later. It’s time to eat my afternoon snack, and I’ve got to pee like you wouldn’t believe. Looking forward to my workout today (upper body). I’ll post more about the workouts later.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Zio... wait until you are at about 8-10 weeks! :aj: We did it two years ago, great stuff.

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Zio

My friend did Body for life to lose weight and help him battle his depression. Man what a difference in this guy. He lost a ton of weight and eats all the time. He took up raquet ball to help keep his cardio from getting boring and has become really good. He told me it saved his life. He is now trying to get me on it because I am trying to get in shape for DW.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Thanks for laying it out Zio. Sparked my interest!

I have a few buddies that have done BFL. The results speak for themselves, and well as the attitude change.

I'll go check out the book as soon as I get rid of this carton of Rocky Road - it's starting to leak out the bottom of the carton...

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
Originally posted by zio

Here’s what I’ve recently learned that has totally changed the way I eat, probably for the rest of my life....
Food has become a tool for me. I don’t see it as recreation any more. I’m interested in it from a nutritional standpoint, but that’s it.

Thats the key to it zio, its the way you think about food. I spent the last few years between 205 and 215 lbs and set my mind to the fact that if I was going to lose weight I was going to have to change the way I looked at eating. I weigh 172 now and never felt better in my life.
Congratulations :thumb:

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Update
At the end of week 3 (yesterday), I have lost roughly 5 lbs of fat, and gained roughly 3 lbs of muscle. I say roughly, because we are using a body fat calculating scale, which I've heard is not very accurate. My total weight last night was 193.2 lbs, with a body fat percentage of 22%.

By the end of the 12 weeks, we both want to get an immersion test done for an accurate measurement.

I'll post pics next Tuesday, after our "official" 1 month anniversary.

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Great News Zio. You are selling me on this. I started reading the book although I have been in the gym about a month now. I started at 298 (that's when I woke up and knew I had to do something) and now I am 285. I have been pretty much still eating bad and even though I am losing I feel like crap.
This weekend Josh fell over on his bike and I ran out there and picked up his bike and had to sit on it until the black spots went away. I hope the good food makes a difference. keep the encouraging progress coming. :thumb:

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
That is awesome!

The Mrs. has started the Power 90 program and has lost 14 lbs as well as 2 inches off her middle :thumb:

I've been gyming it 3-5 days a week w/ weights and cardio. Unfortunately I'm heavier than when I started (muscle I hope) but as I'm sure happens to a lot of people as soon as I hit the weights I have a voracious (sp) appitite.

I think I'll look into your plan.

Rod

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Long delay. It's been going so fast, I can't believe it. I'll post my pics, but all of you (Thump) need to promise never to use these against me. Here's what I've been doing in the gym for the last 4 weeks.

Monday- Back & Biceps
Front lat pulldowns, wide overhand grip- 4 sets @ 6-8 reps, max
Seated rows, v-grip- 4 sets @ 6-8 reps max
Hammerstrength lat pulldowns, neutral grip, 2 sets @ 6-8 reps max

Seated hammer curls- 4 sets @ 6-8 reps max
Preacher Curls, flat bar wide grip- 4 sets @ 6-8 reps max
Standing cable curls, reverse grip- 2 sets @ 6-8 reps max

Tuesday- Cardio
25 minutes of windsprints on the bike

Wednesday- Shoulders & Legs
Hack squats- 4 sets @ 6-8 reps max (these are easier on my knees than regular squats)
Seated calf raises- 4 sets @10-12 reps max

Hammerstrength front military press- 4 sets @ 6-8 reps max
Dumbell flys- 4 sets @ 10-12 reps max
Upright rows, flat bar close grip- 2 sets @ 6-8 reps max

Thursday- Cardio
25 minutes of windsprints on the bike

Friday- Chest & Triceps
Hammerstrength incline bench, wide grip- 4 sets @ 6-8 reps max
Cable flys- 4 sets @ 6-8 reps max
Hammerstrength decline bench- 2 sets @ 10-12 reps max

Saturday- Cardio
25 minutes of windsprints on the bike, or 1/2 day of riding ;)

Sunday- off.

It may look like I'm whimping out by only doing two-three sets per muscle group, but I'm putting 100% intensity into each set. And by only doing 4-6, maybe 8 reps, I'm only working my white, fast-twitched muscle fibers. These are the muscle fibers that have the most potential for growth. And any more reps will draw excess lactate into the muscle causing fatigue. And fatigue isn't what builds muscle, OVERLOAD is.

And there's a reason I only work each muscle group once a week. Muscle can take as long as 5-7 days to recover from one of these intense workouts. Muscle isn't built in the gym!

I modified the Body For Life workout a little, as I think it's geared more for beginners, and a broad audience. Much of what I do is based on articles I've read that give good background to support the claims. The best is again from James Ciprianni at Bodybuilding.com titled "Maximize Your Results".

That's it. My weight days only take about 35-45 minutes, depending on how crowded it is. I change up a few of the main exercises occasionally, but for the most part it's an easy routine to stick to. I have to use the Hammerstrength machines for heavy chest & shoulders, as I don't have a partner to spot me & I want to do at least one set where I'm at 95% of my max. And they're the next best thing to free-weights IMO. And I'm forced to take it easy on legs because I'm fearful my knees won't tolerate too much stress, even though I wear my braces just in case. I also throw in ab exercises when time permits, but honestly, that's my least favorite thing to do so they get neglected.

The weight is starting to really fall off. I can't believe it when I look in the mirror. I'm hesitant to post the second photo, because so much has changed since I took it. I'll have to take another really soon just to show you.

But, here goes- this is my before photo, flexing (I'm not going to show you the relaxed, gut busting photo- no way Jose)

Attachments

• atlas0.jpg
    atlas0.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,100

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
And here's my second photo, taken abut 3 weeks later. I'm flexing as hard as I can in both.

Attachments

• atlas2.jpg
    atlas2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 821

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
They're not the greatest, as I'm not standing straight in either. I'm not up to my high mark yet (the point I was at 3 years ago when I quit lifting & exercising daily), but I'm close. I'll post new pics very soon.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I give you credit Zio, not many would post pics that revealing! Keep up the hard work.

Curious though, are you looking to build mass/strength, or definition/endurance?

And... do you wax, or shave your chest hair? :eek:

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Yeah, they ain't pretty. But I figure what the heck. If maybe one person actually gets inspired, then it's worth a little humiliation. I'm just stoked with my results so far.

The good Lord didn't bless me with much body hair, my friend. And the few loners on my chest get shaved about twice a year. I've taken to trimming my underarms, though. Everyone in the gym does, and I all of a sudden felt like a French woman next to all the real men.

My first 4 weeks were targeted towards fat loss. But really, there's no reason both can't be achieved at the same time. I'm doing heavy lifting to build muscle, and taking tons of supplements like creatine (loading phase right now) & glutamin, over 200 grams of protein a day, etc. And for fat loss I'm doing the wind-sprints & taking ThermodynamX, CLA, & chromium. I also take a multi, 1500 mg of C, and dring a gallon of water a day.

Last edited:

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Here's Week 5. Not the best quality, zia forgot to change the camera settings when we took this set last night. I'm starting to feel good about myself with my shirt off. I won't wear a tank top in the gym yet, but at least my gut isn't hanging all over the place anymore when I'm doing ab exercises :scream:

Attachments

• atlas3.jpg
    atlas3.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 730
B

biglou

Hey, paisan, I stumbled across this thread as I am a week into my third attempt at the BFL program. You've inspired me! :thumb: I gave it a half-assed effort in the late summer/fall of 2001 and lost roughly 26 pounds in 8 weeks. I know it works. I aint posting my half nekkid picture though. I'm afraind mass panic would ensue... :scream:

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Way to go Zio & Zia :thumb:
Knowledge is power.
Reading nutrition and exercise books really does give you the tools you need to make a differance. Thanks for sharing this experiance with us.
I dont want to highjack you thread, just share some inthusiasm(sp?).

I started exercising last January (2002) and have noticed constant improvement in how I feel and look. It is addicting, and you want others around you to feel the same for themselves also.

After 9 months in the gym and on my mountain bike, I felt way better physicaly, and I was able to finish a 1 1/2 hour harescramble not even feeling winded. The major reason I started working out in the first place was to enhance, or to make possible me riding my mx bike for 2 hours strait at 80 to 90 percent race pace. When winter came I needed a new challenge, so I went to a treadmill. Lets see how far I can run, Im thinkin. This was last October. 2 miles and I was dead tired. I kept at it, got some advice here and found a web site with training schedulales. Last week I ran a 1/2 marathon (13.1 miles) and liked it! Now Im planning on doing a lifelong goal of a full marathon this fall.

Nutrition also came to mind when I decided to do the marathon. Why enter a race without the right fuel, so I read Nancy Clarks Sports nutrition guide book. Its unbeleivable how worthless some foods are. Also what foods that are good for you and in what amounts. It realy is life changing, when this healthy lifestyle sucks you in.

So keep up the good work Zio, hope you stick with it.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Wahooooo! This is awesome. Just like Walt said:
. It is addicting, and you want others around you to feel the same for themselves also
- that's exactly how I feel.

Lou, keep it up! You & me, we can compare rippin abs at DW. Don't quit. Make it huge. Make this bigger than any single moto or other dirtbiking event. Stick with the diet. Buy a calorie book. Get a calculator out at the end of each day & count your calories, carbs & protein. Read each label. The only way zia & I have been able to stick with this is by forcing it to consume our daily life. I think that's the key to a successful BFL program. And what has actually happened with us is we've taken it beyond the basic program Bill Phillips outlined & we've enhanced & tweaked it to meet our personal goals. I almost spend as much time on the net reading about fitness as I do dirtbikes.

96er- yes creatine helps. Creatine is a naturally occuring substance in your body. Off the top of my head, I can't tell you exactly what it's function is, but here's the jist: it's a chemical that gives your muscles that explosive energy on demand. A heavy workout depletes it rapidly (like within the first 10 minutes or so). So supplementing with creatine will boost those stores & give you more energy to lift the heavy weights longer, thus taxing your muslces to a greater extent & promoting rapid muscle growth during recovery. It won't help any with cardiovascular exedrcise routines like the treadmill, or 30 minute motos, etc. Glutamin & creatine should probably be the first step in supplementation for bodybuilding, after a carefully balanced diet.

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
It helps you lift more causing your muscles to work more which hurts them more. Then it helps them heal up faster. So you would take it everyday? Im not trying to be a body builder but it would be nice to be ripped. Im 15 and i know a few guies at school who take it and are ripped. If creitine is natural then would too much of it cause any problems(long or short term?) How do you take it? I know there is a pill and is there like a powder that you mix into a drink or something?

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
I just got this from www.gnc.com. Im assuming the loading pahse is when you are lifting and the mantience phase is when you are healing up?

How does creatine work? Creatine plays a critical role in helping muscles make and circulate ATP and in the resynthesis of phosphocreatine. ATP (adenosine triphosphate), is a high-energy compound that can deliver instant energy. ATP provides the chemical force for muscles to contract.

How much creatine should I take?

Loading Phase -- Take 5 grams of creatine 3-6 times per day for 5 days, depending on body weight.

Body Weight Grams per Day
160 22 grams
180 24 grams
200 27 grams
220 30 grams
240 32 grams

Maintenance Phase -- Take between 4-6 grams of creatine per day based on your body weight.
Body Weight Grams per Day
160 5 grams
180 5 grams
200 5 grams
220 6 grams
240 6 grams

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Taking too much (like in the loading phase) can cause cramping, discomfort, & in some cases a case of the cha-cha's.

The loading phase usually lasts a week, and the intent is to boost your creatine levels up quickly. The maintenance phase then usually lasts for another 3-4 weeks, and as the name implies, is designed to maintain that high level. I skipped the loading phase and just started taking it regularly (between 5-6 grams/day) as you'll find it's hard to force yourself to consume as much as they suggest. It's also recommended that you cycle it- one month on, one month off.

Creatine doesn't aid in muscle recovery, I don't think. And Creatine isn't going to make you get "ripped". It will help you build muscle faster, if you are working out. If you have fat surrounding your muscle, you'll need to burn that off, too.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
And another thing- I strongly suggest anyone REFRAIN from taking any supplement, legal or not, until they understand what it does & how to use it. Just taking creatine alone isn't going to do much for ol' 96er if he also doesn't take in the right amount of carbs & protein as well as muscle building blocks to build muscle. And there are a lot of very strong supplements labeled "prohormones" that are legal (not yet restricted by the FDA). Take them only if you're sure about them & the chances you're taking.

I figure that during highschool, college, and another 1 1/2 years after marriage were wasted in the gym. I worked out hard, but didn't think for a second about nutrition. I took creatine occasionally, because I "heard" it was the next best thing to steroids. I had no idea what it actually was. Then a friend told me to take amino acids. I bought some from GNC, but had no earthly idea why I was taking them or what they did.

Take the time to educate yourself about what your body needs. You don't just throw in any old fuel you find in a can labeled "gasoline" into your bike, do you? Nor do you just toss in some gas into a brand new bike & procede to wring the snot out of it day after day, week after week, without paying close attention to it's oil, airfilter & other needs. Same should go for your body.

cr25096er

Apr 16, 2002
dont take me wrong zio, i wouldnt take anything w/o talking to my doctor and alot of other people including my parents. i lift but i would have to look into my nutrition a bit lol. Im just trying top explore the things avalable to me.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Right on, man. Here's a link to a great article that I've nearly memorized. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/james1.htm

It has a great tempo, starting with working out, then nutrition, then supplements. He basically puts them in that order of importance, and takes a stance that supplementation should only take place as a third step- after you've gotten the first two down pat. :thumb:

Top Bottom