JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
i was looking at all the classes of racing at the track and i was wondering what the difference was between the 125 a,b,and c class or the 250 a,b, and c class and the schoolboy or collegeboy classes they just say the age.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
A, B, and C designate rider levels with A being top and C (in some areas D) being beginner.
125 and 250 designate the bike sizes for the class. 125 is now usually 2 strokes up to 144cc and 4strokes up to 250cc 250 class is 250cc 2 strokes and up to 450cc 4 strokes

Schoolboy is any size bike ( we have an additional class in our district of 125Jr where only 125cc 2 strokes are allowed) ages 13 to 16 and often levels C and B

College boy is 16 to 24 yeears old any bike size levels C and B

Some areas do allow A riders in the schoolboy and collegeboy

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
ok i was just confused on what size of bike could race in collegeboy and schoolboy. i am just going to race in the beginner class

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
there is probably some difference because a lot of riders will start out on a 125 and move up to a 250. so they will have some riding experience under their belt. also theres not as much of a learning curve because the bikes are the same size. but there is still a big difference between the two

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
mox69 said:
I have a similar question.

How much of a skill difference is there between 125C and 250C?
Actually what we see here in Wisconsin is that 125C is populated majority of kids and early 20s while 250 classes are more likely older than 25 years old. 250 classes seem a bit slower and somewhat safer because the older riders don't take the risks the kids are more likely to try. Something about having to go to work on Monday as opposed to staying home from school a day or 2 to recover

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Everywhere I have gone in the last 2 years has been 125c,near a full gate.250c,maybe 10! The age thing is spot on!C class used to be for first year racers,then some genius decided to start glorifying the accomplishments and now you have professional c class riders! Go to a LL qualifier,watch c class,first 5 guys are scrubbing and doing big jumps,unbelievable! Even by some mothers day miracle that anyone could accomplish this feat in one year,it is MOST UNSAFE to the rider and everyone else with in 20 feet of the track! Some tracks in district !7 use the d class,and for REAL first year racers I would recommend it! What track are you going to bust your cherry at? You could go there on a non race day and practice,(redbud has open practice this weekend,and they run a safe program!)Have fun!

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
yup thats what i was afraid of too. until i found out where i would be racing does have a first year class. so i have nothin to worry about

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
Well we have no D class in District 23, so I'm stuck in the C class. I ended up spending last saturday at a track where official AMA race s are held. It was a lot of fun and I did a lot better than I thought I was going to. I don't know if every district does this, but 23 makes the top riders of their class move up to the next class. So the top 10-20 C class riders of 2006 can only race in B class for 2007.

I have access to a 125 bike that I could probably race with, I just spend a lot more time on my 250 and I'm more comfortable racing that. I would prefer riding with older guys who don't want to kill themselves anyway. This will be my first official year of racing, but I've been riding bikes for 10+ years now, so I think I will be ok in the C class.

Top Bottom