JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
:confused: title should be Scotts Stab.. weld or bolt on :confused:

I started to order a Scotts Stabilizer today. When I got to the part of weld on or bolt on mount I wasnt sure.

I need some thoughts on this. What are you guys using? Anybody have problems with the bolt ons?

I assume the weld on is stronger but I dont really want to do anything to my frame. So I am leaning towards the bolt on.

Also, can I expect any clearance problems with a oversize tank?

Thanks
Jeff

Last edited:

Pat Burroughs

Sep 10, 1999
I've always used a weld-on. I know it's probably not warranted (they probably wouldn't offer them if they didn't work, right?), but the bolt-ons just kind of give me the willies. They don't seem as sturdy to me.

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Jeff

I used the Weld on on my XR. I think I might have gone bolt on if I had it to do over. Not that the weld on is a problem, but I do get a little rub on my tank (especially my oversize).

I have not heard of anyone having problems with the bolt on towers.

Rod

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
I use a bolt-on with the aluminum frame. There isn't much stress at the tower. The hardware is all extremely durable, easy to install-benfit #1 and will give you plenty of years of use-unless you want to move it to another RM-benefit #2

I would buy another bolt-on no problem.:)

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
You have to use a bolt-on on Gas Gas. I also had a bolt-on on my Suzuki. I've never had a problem with them. I hate the thought of welding them to the frame.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Thanks for the opinions. I went ahead and ordered the bolt on.

Justql- How did you like it on your Suzuki?

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I loved it. It made the rock riding easy. It is one of those things that you don't notice till you take it off. When I bought the GasGas I didn't have it on the first ride, the Gas Gas would bobble through the grass at high speeds, after the damper the problem was gone. They're expensive but well worth it. For what it's worth Guy Cooper told me when I bought the Suzuki from him that that was the only mod he'd do to the bike. His other bikes already had them on.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom