Buddy

Aug 14, 2001
I'm thinking of installing a Scotts Steering Dampner on my 01 EXC 300. Can anyone tell me how difficult or easy the install is?
And what might be a good outlet to purchase at?
Thanks
buddy

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Search on the topic, I think you will find lots of info on the subject

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
Buddy,I have the same bike as you and everything bolted right up.The most important part is to make sure the steering post stem is mounted dead center of the frame.The only thing that you will have to "modify" is the aluminium dust cap that covers the steering head.If you don't grind/cut it down to the width specified in the instructions you will crush it when you tighten down the steering head bolt.If Im not mistaken you can get a "pre-cut" dust cap cover from Scott's for $5.

Butterman

Mar 27, 2002
There is a new low mount bractet available as an option from Scotts,the CR/CRF's are already available,and this is a prototype for the yamahas,the RM model is being finalized as we speak.
eRKIScZLFOpaSZb.JPEG

Butterman

Mar 27, 2002
I'm not sure when Scotts is going to update the website. This is a brand new product for them, you need to call to find out about it. They are introducing it at the same price as their "up top" mount. But it will be more expensive. The KTM and Kawi designs will follow.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Just got off the phone with Brad at Scott's. He said they may not ever offer this mount for KTM's as the existing mount is very trouble free. Apparently, the CR mount is more troublesome.

Butterman

Mar 27, 2002
We are working on this mount for the KTMs,so if Scotts decides not to market them,contact me.Personally I think getting the dampener out of your face and having a bar pad is the biggest reason why this low mount stuff is better. The removal of play between the slot and anchor pin is also a nice side benefit,the sperical bearings have no play. This translates to running the slow speed dampening backed off a couple more clicks.

Jeppy

Jul 21, 2000
I'm with you Butterman, the idea of getting that thing out of the way of my chest (and nads...gawd I'll never forget that ride) is very important to me (and my future generation). Jeb...I'll try your idea and call them (Scotts) directly.
Gotta get this thing!

Thanks,

Jeppy

Top Bottom