Seeking RM 250 Waterproofing advice

OldRM

Jan 19, 2005
I am riding a new 2002 RM 250 in the Hare Scramble season. I live in New England and if you have ridden up this way you know that it can be wet and soupy at times. I am wondering if there are waterproofing issues with my 2002 RM in particular or more general if necessary? If so, what do you recommend I consider doing before I go scuba diving?

Thanks a million!
Mike

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Have had no water issues with my '03. Airbox is designed well. The carb is vented well. Just keep grease in all those bearings!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I've had pretty good luck with mine but I tend to stay away from deep water. There are a lot of holes in the bottom of the air box that you could plug up though. General stuff like taping all the connectors is a good idea too. And definitely keep an eye on the swing arm and linkage bearings.

Where are you in New England? There are a bunch of us that get together and ride. Check out the Damn Yankee Dirt Riders thread in the Places to ride forum.

OldRM

Jan 19, 2005
I live in the Western part of Massachusetts - a city named Westfield. The only reason I raise the concern is the result of a drowning - my friends WR. A good friend visited from Maryland and brought along his Yamaha WR 250F. I asked him a couple of times if it was waterproof and he exclaimed that he never had a problem. I set off and the first stream I crossed the bike sucked water and that was it. I don't know how you 4-stroke guys do it. I nearly passed out from kicking.

Between then and now I picked up the RM, but have not had the chance to get into some decent water. We still have snow and frozen everything up here.

Thanks for the advice and I will be greasing everything in sight if you are looking for me.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
I did that to my CR250 once as well, but the water was pretty deep. Honestly, I don't think any amount of waterproofing would have prevented that mishap. Lots of kicking didn't get the bike running. We ended up pushing it up a hill to bump it, twice, before we finally got the fire lit again and kept it running. Mental note: don't attempt water crossings a few days after major flooding. ;)

But it did break in my new boots quite nicely. Apparently standing in knee-deep water for 15 minutes, while wrestling a dirt bike out of the mud at the bottom of the stream, works quite well as a break-in method. On the plus side, I didn't have to stand there and hold the bike as it stood up quite well on it's own. :)

OldRM

Jan 19, 2005
No - that's not it. I would have crossed this stream with any bike I have ever owned. Really - the water was probably mid-motor. That WR was not waterproof at all. Anyway, from what I am hearing I will have to go swimming with my RM before I discover if I need to waterproof anything.

Top Bottom