Sen Hastert says something important - gets flamed

Wintermute

Jul 7, 2005
Poor Dennis Hastert.

He made the mistake of saying something important, something that needed to be said, out loud where the media could hear it. And now he's getting flames instead of the reasoned debate his statement deserved.

For those who missed the article in all the other Katrina related news, Hastert had the brass to suggest that if public funds were going to be used to rebuild New Orleans maybe we shouldn't repeat the mistake of building it 7 feet below sea level.:bang:

Hey there's a novel concept. The city is almost wiped out. Why don't we fix the root cause of a lot of the damage when we rebuild it, so it won't happen this way again?

Instead of debating the idea on its merits everybody jumps all over him. :coocoo:

Yes the way he said it wasn't very clear, and could easily have been interpreted as him saying lets not rebuild at all. So what? Even if he had actually suggested not rebuilding at all because the city is underwater, why attack HIM. How about some reasonable discourse for a change? How about debating the idea, come up with alternative solutions? For example even though San Fran and LA are on a fault line and are at high risk from earthquakes the cities have been rebuilt several times. Now when they rebuild them they use improved techniques and materials to help reduce the damage in the future.

I think that this was the point Hastert was trying to make.

It just kills me when someone makes an important observation and people automatically cast it in the worst possible light. Being a politician must be like posting in this forum every day.

Do you suppose there will be any reasonable responses to this thread?

Wintermute
------------------------------------------------------
Couldn't think of anything funny, sorry.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Wintermute said:
Do you suppose there will be any reasonable responses to this thread?
I'll offer up one even though it might not meet everyones standard.

I think it is a great idea in theory. Reality might make it tougher to actually accomplish. Perhaps building up certian areas as safe points with elevated roads to them would be a little more achievable. Obviously the design of the levee system is a huge weakness since it was only designed to meet the criteria for a C3 storm and anything else is considered to exceed the design. The Hong Kong airport is a perfect example of what could be done with creating something out of a watery hole but that was all new, doing the same with NO would be pretty much impossible. There are lots of possible solutions to the mess, one of which might be put it all back the way it was and cross their fingers again. My idea as to how help fund the repairs, re-design and maintenance of a New NO would be to have a tax if you choose to own property in the flood area (beyond normal flood insurance). This would help promote responsible development and feed a better solution. Again even this is not a perfect idea but I'm sure somebody will be along with one. :laugh:

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
New Orleans is an important trade hub, I THINK, but don't quote me, that it is were we export the largest amount of our goods. We need that area for commerce and such, but it will torque me off to no end if they take my tax money and just try to band aid the problem of how the city is constructed. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that it will happen again and that to have built a city 4-8 feet under sea level with a river on one side, a lake on another and the ocean on third side probably isn't the brightest thing to do, but hindsight is always 20/20. I don't really want to bitch to much just yet though because what has happened is truly a tragedy. I just hope that we can get 99% of those people the help they truly need, there is 1% that needs to be shot and let the gators have at'em.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
The report that Wintermute is referring to: Click me

Text version:

WASHINGTON — It makes no sense to spend billions of dollars to rebuild a city that's seven feet under sea level, House Speaker Dennis Hastert (search) said of federal assistance for hurricane-devastated New Orleans.

Democratic lawmakers from Louisiana were quick to disagree Thursday and Hastert sought to clarify the comment during the day.

"It looks like a lot of that place could be bulldozed," the Illinois Republican said in an interview about New Orleans Wednesday with the Daily Herald of Arlington Heights, Ill.

Louisiana Rep. Charlie Melancon (search) called the comments irresponsible and Sen. Mary L. Landrieu (search) urged Hastert to focus on the humanitarian crisis at hand.

Hastert, in a transcript supplied by the suburban Chicago newspaper, said there was no question that the people of New Orleans would rebuild their city, but noted that federal insurance and other federal aid was involved. "We ought to take a second look at it. But you know we build Los Angeles and San Francisco on top of earthquake fissures and they rebuild too. Stubbornness."

There are "some real tough questions to ask," Hastert said in the interview. "How do you go about rebuilding this city? What precautions do you take?"

Asked in the interview whether it made sense to spend billions rebuilding a city that lies below sea level, he replied, "I don't know. That doesn't make sense to me."

Hastert later issued a statement saying he was not "advocating that the city be abandoned or relocated."

"My comments about rebuilding the city were intended to reflect my sincere concern with how the city is rebuilt to ensure the future protection of its citizens and not to suggest that this great and historic city should not be rebuilt," the statement said.

Landrieu issued a statement sayings Hastert's question on how to rebuild can be debated later but that right now the focus must be on stabilizing the situation in the state.

"When we do discuss the long-term rebuilding of New Orleans and the parishes of St. Tammany, Plaquemines, St. Bernard and Jefferson, I will do everything I can to express that southeast Louisiana is filled with the most extraordinary of people ... the most extraordinary of resources" who are "worth every penny of a complete rebuilding effort."

Hastert announced Thursday that the House, currently at the end of its summer break, would return for an emergency session Friday to approve some $10 billion in federal aid for hurricane victims.

"In the wake of this disaster, the people of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida should know that the United States Congress stands ready to help them in their time of need," he said in a joint statement with Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Since when do gov't projects have to make sense.Anybody remember the Air Force base in FL that was completely rebuilt after hurricane Andrew only to be closed down shortly thereafter? Look it up.

I don't have a problem with the nature of his statement. Only the timing. They are STILL pulling people out and people are STILL dying. His comments were premature and serve only to show where his concerns really are, politics and money, not the folks. Could he at least have waited until people stop dying trying to get out?

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Holland shows what can happen with land that is below sea level, when the government makes a concerted effort to reclaim/protect it.

All cities built in delta areas have experienced this problem since the dawn of time. The lost city of Alexanderia is beneath the water of the Mediterranean because of it's location. Mexico City is suffering a similar fate. When lightweight structures (French Quarter) are built in delta areas, there is little impact on the environment. When larger structures are built and wells dug that lower the water table, the ground begins to settle.

Galveston raised the south edge of the island something like 11 feet, following the 1906 hurricane and everything drains towards the bay on the back side. Only the northern edge of the island remains at the original elevation.

New Orleans will be rebuilt, in part or in total, as much because the roll it plays in the American psyche. The American spirit is strong, very strong, and Americans will roll up there sleeves and get the job done, like they have so many times before.

Although debate and comments such these referenced by Senator Hastert, are important to the overall success of the final effort, the timing was off in my opinion also. Comments made by Jesse Jr., and others, are way off base and the media should be focusing on the fact that these comments are meant to divide the nation. Of course, that would mean the press would have to look at the situation fairly and not spend their entire time trying to blame Bush.

There are people dying in New Orleans as we sit here in our relative safety watching the drama unfold in front of us. Now is not the time. There will be plenty of time for the Congress to grandstand and drag people in front of them for a public tongue lashing. We all saw how successful the 9-11 Commission was, didn't we?

The government is not at fault. The level of devastation is beyond comprehension. The area of devastation is larger than many of the countries in Europe. The devastation is larger than New Orleans, regardless of what the press indicates. Government officials should have reacted quicker and with more impact, but the problem falls right at the door of the Mayor first. His comments today served no one and in a even a lesser way, himself. He has NOT showed one ounce of true leadership IMHO. I am not saying that his situation is not dire, but he needs to be there leading the rescue efforts. Rudy set a very tall standard for the mayor's that follow, in dealing with disaster.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
What timing Tony! I just got home and flipped on the TV to see the biggest race pimp spewing his load of crap trying to divide things as usual. JJ does more to harm that he does to help and I believe he really takes great pride in that and not his "official" missions. It's really a shame IMO. If he was really compassionate for ALL people and actually wanted to help he would focus his commentary and actions on leading people (no matter what color their skin is) toward success and working together not furthering a division.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Hastert only gets flamed because he is a republican. Plain and simple.
The liberal mindset doesn't have the capacity to engage in any sort of intelligent discussion of ANY issue.

I want to point out a situation that existed here in my part of the world.
A small town in Indiana had been ravaged by 6 major floods since 1959.
Intelligent dicussion and thought brought about an idea that maybe they were living in an area that really shouldn't be lived in. Imagine anyone discussing an intelligent solution!

LINK: http://www.communityactionpartnership.com/research/rural_projects/text/english.txt

Top Bottom