Any idiot can get a license!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
So I'm out on a parts run yesterday and the wife calls and asks me to pick up a 3 way light bulb. I swing by the new Lowes which is in a strip center type of complex that has a 4 lane main "road" that cuts through it with stop lights and each end and a few stop signs along the way. There's a black pickup (Pred'ese) in the right lane and I am in the left as we come to a stop sign before the 3 lane exit at the stop light. I need to turn left and since there is a dedicated left turn lane that's where I'm headed. Well Billy-Bob is in the stratigh thru lane and as I come up behind him I see reverse lights so I make a quick dive to the left to avoid him. As I do the folding mirror hits his tail light and I think "Great." and proceed through the light and pull in to the parking lot of a church with him flying up Dukes of Hazard style behind me. I totally expected a teenager or twenty something to get out of the vehicle as it was one of those over done every piece of plastic add-on from Pep Boys rigs with an Earl Schibe paint job in all it's orange peeled glory showing each and every dent on the body that they were too cheap or stuipid not to fix before paint. Turns out to be a guy and woman late 40's early 50's and they are freaking out. He's going on how the bumper of my vehicle hit the side of his full size Chevy 4x4 blah, blah, blah..... and I jumped the curb to get around him, and he knew I was going to try and cut him off at the light... So I asked him to find the area on my bumper that hit his tail light. He points to a general area so I suggest we look at the relative heights of things. There's about 18" of difference from the top of the bumper to the area on the light cover that was scuffed. He then points out that my tires are dirty "prooving" I jumped the curb. I tell him that I live down a dirt road and it had raind in the last week which makes dirt in to mud and perhaps he should look at all four tires since they are equally dirty. They rant on... I then asked how he figured I was going to cut him off when he was in the straight lane and I was in the left lane. They both continue their rant so I suggest since they seem to be over reacting we call the police. He stopped dead for a few seconds and then started up again on his rant. Just then I see a local police car and flag him down. The guy starts in on the officer as soon as he gets out to which he is asked several times to calm down. The guy and woman continue as I stand there and shrug and smile at the officer. He then tells them to stop bickering about the situation as he will investigate things. He looks at the "damage" on their vehicle then checks out mine and suggests he'll provide a "blue form" for use to exchange as there doesn't appear to be more than a smudge on the painted tail light cover. The guys goes on how he maintains his vehicles so well and his truck is "pristine" blah, blah, blah. So we get through the paperwork and I ask the officer to stick around a bit while I see what they would like to do. He smiles and says that might be a good idea. I then ask them how they would like to resolve the "issue" (I'm ready to turn it in to my insurance and let them laugh at the $100 buff and polish job) and the guy says "I'll take it home and try to buff it out." :think:

Interestingly the big bad vehicle I was driving was my wife's Honda CR-V :laugh: . I get home and and wash it to see any damage and there is not a scratch. I guess Japan has finally found the chemical composition of "Chucktanium", either that or maybe the mirror really did hit since it was at the same height as the plastic cover on the tail light. :coocoo:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Patman said:

And, evidently, most do. :pissed:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Just talked to my insurance guy. His first thought was "These people were just attempting to get cash out of you. I wouldn't be suprised if they were more upset because you managed to avoid them as well as you did." Since I nor he has heard anything I'm just going to write it off to experience.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Eric had his first (and I hope only) accident in December. He went over the top of a hill during an ice storm and saw a car facing him in his lane. He tried to stop since there were cars coming uphill at him in their lane and he ended up sliding into the veh in his lane. The contact occurred less then 30 feet over the hillcrest on a road so slippery walking downhill was nearly imposible until the sander came by. The veh he hit had been coming uphill and the 16 yr old girl driving had spun out coming to rest wedged against the curb in his lane. long story short very little damage to either veh and no injuries.
An hour later the father of the other driver calls me and starts out- "well my car is totalled and since I just bought it for $1300 if you just pay me $1300 we can call it even". I tried not to laugh but informed him that his daughter was the cause as she was in the wrong lane but he insisted that eric caused it because he was driving to fast and hit her.
I then told him I would call my Insurance to figure it out and so should he. He relented a bit and dropped his price to $1000 cash so I told him I wanted to look at his car closer and if I gave him the money he had to sign ownership over to me since I didn't remember that much dmage to his car. He insisted it was towed to a garage and was going to be junked so I told him fine just let the insurance figure it out.

I put it in to my ins and when they called his he didn't want to call his ins just wanted it settled out for cash. My agent said either your ins calls him or forget any settlemnet. Turns out the guy never had ins so he didn't get anything from ours.

I have driven by his house a couple times since then and the junked car seems to be used daily and shows no sign of repair or total damage

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
the Pantless One said:
the vehicle as it was one of those over done every piece of plastic add-on from Pep Boys rigs with an Earl Schibe paint job in all it's orange peeled glory showing each and every dent on the body that they were too cheap or stuipid not to fix before paint.
You paint a picture with words, my friend.
Oldguy said:
I then told him I would call my Insurance to figure it out and so should he. He relented a bit and dropped his price to $1000 cash
I hate those buggers who are tryin' to scam me. That's what I pay an agent for, so I don't have to deal with that crap. I just hand over the info after the cops show up (and I ALWAYS have the cops show up) and let them duke it out.

I've had people run into the front tire of a road grader that was doing 2 mph, people run into the back of a parked grader, and people try and duck in behind a plow truck that is backing up. We've learned our lesson over the years that the Sheriff can show up and we keep our nose clean.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
oldguy said:
Eric had his first (and I hope only) accident in December. He went over the top of a hill during an ice storm and saw a car facing him in his lane. He tried to stop since there were cars coming uphill at him in their lane and he ended up sliding into the veh in his lane. The contact occurred less then 30 feet over the hillcrest on a road so slippery walking downhill was nearly imposible until the sander came by. The veh he hit had been coming uphill and the 16 yr old girl driving had spun out coming to rest wedged against the curb in his lane. long story short very little damage to either veh and no injuries.
An hour later the father of the other driver calls me and starts out- "well my car is totalled and since I just bought it for $1300 if you just pay me $1300 we can call it even". I tried not to laugh but informed him that his daughter was the cause as she was in the wrong lane but he insisted that eric caused it because he was driving to fast and hit her.
I then told him I would call my Insurance to figure it out and so should he. He relented a bit and dropped his price to $1000 cash so I told him I wanted to look at his car closer and if I gave him the money he had to sign ownership over to me since I didn't remember that much dmage to his car. He insisted it was towed to a garage and was going to be junked so I told him fine just let the insurance figure it out.

I put it in to my ins and when they called his he didn't want to call his ins just wanted it settled out for cash. My agent said either your ins calls him or forget any settlemnet. Turns out the guy never had ins so he didn't get anything from ours.

I have driven by his house a couple times since then and the junked car seems to be used daily and shows no sign of repair or total damage

Talk about "class-less"!

My wife was hit a couple years ago while driving home from work. It was brutal cold out, the roads were covered with ice, and a sixteen year old kid crossed a double yellow line while passing someone on a curve. When he saw my wife coming at him in the opposite lane, he swerved in front of the car he was passing, looped it, and ended up side swiping my wife’s Outback causing $3500.00 damage………sent her through a four foot snow pile and onto a bicycle path that ran along side the road! The dumb ass gets out of his car (it is literally below zero and snowing) and he has a t-shirt on and no coat with him. This happened about two miles from home so wifey called me and I jumped in the truck and slid on down there. The cop on the scene grabbed me as soon as I stepped out of my truck since he figured I was probably gonna shoot the kid………very funny. He kept assuring me that “the kid was in a lot of trouble”, LOL!

Anyway, turns out we knew the kid. He and his family were members at our church. So, I was expecting a call from his parents that evening with a big apology and offers of help since my wife’s car was out of commission. They never called. So when Sunday came, I expected the same. They avoided us. As a matter of fact, a discussion of the incident never occurred and an apology never came.

The whole left side of my wife’s car got replaced (no cost to us) and nobody was hurt (thank God) but I still think these people were terribly rude and lacking class of any kind by not even offering up an apology. I know if my son did such a thing, he would be personally apologizing and offering his money or services just as soon as my foot was removed from his ass.

The world is full of selfish and rude people I guess.

Dec 19, 2004
heck, any idoit can be a pedestrian. After going through my drivers courses it seems its best to hit and run. The person you hit my want everything you got... Who's more important them or you? I guess the least you can do is call an ambulance from near by pay phone.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
24 said:
heck, any idoit can be a pedestrian. After going through my drivers courses it seems its best to hit and run. The person you hit my want everything you got... Who's more important them or you? I guess the least you can do is call an ambulance from near by pay phone.

Wow. Guess what? Pedestrians have the right of way. Sure, some are idiots. But when you get behind the wheel of a vehicle to drive on public roads you automatically have accepted the rules of the road and that pedestrians have the right of way. If you don't, then I'm sure it won't be long until you're in jail or sued for all you're worth.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
24 said:
:| Sure glad you live in Canada far far away from me and my family :think: I almost think Pat was hit by a relative of yours

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Patman said:

24 said:
After going through my drivers courses it seems its best to hit and run. The person you hit my want everything you got... Who's more important them or you?

Case closed.

:|

Top Bottom