SERA vs SETRA what are the differences???

At the Rockford enduro four of my buddies who are SERA members joined SETRA.

What are some of the differences between the two organizations?

KDXfile

Subscriber
Mainly the differences are they cover different geographic regions. But, there is some overlap with a few races. SETRA has probably 3 times the membership mainly because the larger area they cover and the population in that region. The enduro format for SETRA generally seems to follow the 24 mph start and restart system; sort of what we had at Rockford.
SETRA usually splits their harescramble event into 2 seperate races because of the larger turnout. The rule books for each will have some variation about classes and race drops, etc.
I belong to both but mainly ride SERA because of my location.
That's about all I can think of.

Timr

Lifetime Sponsor
A couple of additional differences:

1.  SETRA is not AMA sanctioned.  Some of the individual races, are AMA sanctioned, but the series is not.

2.  The SETRA season calendar runs more like a school year than on the Calendar year.  The SETRA season starts the last weekend of August and ends the last weekend of the following May.  They try not to have races in June, July, or August.

3.  SETRA co-sanctions races with SERA, FTR, GNCC, and once or twice a year with Mid-South.

That's all I can think of now.

RTL

Subscriber
Originally posted by KDXfile
The enduro format for SETRA generally seems to follow the 24 mph start and restart system; sort of what we had at Rockford.
What do you mean by restart? How does that work? I'm just learning about Enduro's and I have never heard the term Restart... What are you restarting? Thanks for you help.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
Originally posted by RTL

What do you mean by restart? How does that work? I'm just learning about Enduro's and I have never heard the term Restart... What are you restarting? Thanks for you help.
The event consist of many "special tests" linked together with connector trail or road. Each section is just like the start of the enduro where you are allowed to take off when your number comes up and race to the final "check out" where points are lost which is usually followed by a reset that gets you back on time and you trail ride to the next section and race again. Sometimes there is a lot of road connector to help you get back on time too.

RTL

Subscriber
Got it. Thanks Fred. I'm hoping to run my first Enduro this year some time. I'm getting to old for MX.. The flying high is just not as appealing as it used to be... I'm ready to reset my suspension to full on trail riding, on the plusher side of things...

Thanks again for your response!

SETRA is ama sanctioned, all races are ran ama this year, this was changed at the annual meeting this summer !
Setra has 15 enduros this year and most years are the same. they run in Tn
Ga. SC. Alb. Fl. NC.

Jon K.

Subscriber
SERA guys are a WHOLE LOT FASTER than Setra guys. :p

Jon K.

Subscriber
Yep; Grizzle done good. He even beat the SETRA champion!

Oh yeah, I forgot, the SETRA champion is a SERA guy!! :yeehaw:

I liked all the resets and restarts last weekend in Rockford. Is that common for SETRA events? If so, it makes going the distance easier for an old guy like me...

Jon K.

Subscriber
Originally posted by 121
SETRA has more fast riders than SERA.
Pretty even SETRA / SERA split at Rockford for the the top 20. Dead even for the top ten.

Considering that SETRA has somewhere in the neighborhood of three times the membership of SERA. . . . . that statement could be debated. :p