truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I absolutely LOVED that race. It was awesome!!

The heart and stamina of riders really showed through. It was amazing.

I have ridden quite a few mud races so I know a lot of how they feel even though the mud I rode was A LOT less and easier to ride.

Like James said it reminded us of some of the local races we have done. They are not fun but afterward you are rewarded if you finish jus by having a great story to tell.

I enjoyed watching that race a lot but I understand why some of you didn't. I told a friend it was a race that most people would hate unless they were like me and a few of my friends.

BTW, did any 4-strokes finish the race? I think every 4-stroke overheated or blew up in one shape or form.

Iavn

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Let's just hope that the new TV format doesn't continue to show abbreviated "back-story" in lieu of televising the heat races. And those commercial breaks were long and too frequent. I hope that the reason for both these bores was because of the track conditions.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by Truespode

The heart and stamina of riders really showed through. It was amazing.

Iavn

I agree Ivan.

That made me tired just watching those guys paddle thru that slop. :eek:

Ol'89r

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Not racing hah! That was racing, and a whole lot of work. Looked like a fun challenge to me. That guy on the KTM in the first 250 heat was fly'n. It was pretty amazing to see all those bikes taking such a beating, so many of them blew up. Congrats to zuki, they obviously have a pretty strong bike. There wasn't a bike there that didn't boil out the coolant. Pretty wild race. The announcing was pretty crappy...

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I hate that the KTM guy wiped out in the first turn because it would have been nice to see him fly around like that again. Unfortunately, it looked like the track was turning to glue.

Todays show was closer to what I expect out of a supercross broadcast....but still lacking in many ways. I even watched the main event again. I am just happy that there are some motorcycles back on the tv.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Today's version was MUCH better than last night's.

I'm with James - at least we have races to watch during the darkest days of winter.

Here's hoping Arnehem will be a better show. :thumb:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
not at all impressed with the announcers. If it wasn't for Jamie telling them who and wht was happening they didn't seem to have a clue. Maybe they were back home in a studio and she was the only one doing her job :thumb:

I also really liked it when Brown fried his clutch and the announcers figured "he was rotating his kill switch" :laugh:

Glad I didn't pay to see the race but at least SX is back on TV

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
yeah, speed channel does so much better with daytona last year than the espn2 coverage, it pissed me off that for half the show they didn't even have racing and then we only had 8 laps of a main, this is mx do 20 friggin laps or dont race at all.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by jfisher304
That was UGLY......looked like a really bad indoor GNCC

It wasn't supercross, but I loved it. But like truespode, i've been in races like that.

If only Kreidowsik (sp?) had know what it was going to be like. He could have made a come back to SX in that stuff.

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
I almost thought I was looking at a tape of us riding on the track at Cooperland on Monday and Tuesday :o I liked the race myself. I know it is supposed to be Supercross, but if they are going to race outside of a dome. Let them race in whatever mother nature gives. As far as I know, that is what riding is all about. Remember when you where a kid sitting in the house while it was raining. I know the first thing I did was go out to ride :aj: Even though each lap did lack some of the allure of the high jumping Supercross we have grown to know. It did show at the end that all the riders did have a good time.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Well now I'm really cornfused. I saw the new version of the 250 coverage with the heat races as well. Much better. Does anyone know if ESPN2 plans on televising a quick turnaround version with just the main events and then following up with a more thorough coverage version, like we saw with Seville?

B

biglou

Next week it's a two hour show on Sunday with "all the heats and mains" according to what they said last night. 4:30-6:30PM EST Sunday Dec 14th. Hopefully it will be the 125's and the 250's. It's obvious that one extra day gives them much more time to get the production sorted out. I can wait one day...

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
Didn't see the race, but as far as I'm concerned you race in whatever the conditions are on the day (as long as it's not a major safety hazard to the riders themselves). Good on them for not cancelling the race.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
'specially when the good-guys win , eh grinch :)

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
if they didn't cancel this race then what would troy have been like if it warrented cancellation?

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Unfortunately the TV Viewing stats for SX is much larger than for nationals, so there is much more to lose by cancelling the event. And I'm not sure if the AMA sanctions those Euro Rounds.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Troy was under water.

When my son and I turned this thing on, I just started bawling with laughter. My first thought was: "How ignorant are these people? This is 1) a Supercross, not an MX race, WORCS or GNCC, 2) That track's been a mud bog for over a week, and no one has attempted to rebuild it (see Bailey's website from last week), and 3) it was supposed to be an indoor-like race, and again--they sat on that mud bog.

This kind of thing is great for MX, but SX? How many times in history has this happened?

BTW--did anyone try to pull out the paddletires? :)

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Sounds like a job for the 2 wheel drive yamaha 450-have they banned them in mx/sx?? i saw one at the biek show recently, they are selling in limited numbers in 04.Yamaha are very impressive for going down new roads like with the original YZ400,BASS brakes, YPVS etc.Still dont like the YZ but got to give the little japs credit.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Originally posted by nephron
Troy was under water.
This kind of thing is great for MX, but SX? How many times in history has this happened?

BTW--did anyone try to pull out the paddletires? :)

Yep it sure has happened already. 95' season, I forget what race it was(I think it was Dallas), but Doug Henry was out there jumping the triple in pouring rain and HAIL!!! :scream: Only one doing it, and he did it ALL TWENTY LAPS!! It was just crazyness. The only other one I saw do it was Tony Amaradio(anyone remember him?) He was on Team KTM at the time. Very cool race to watch, but even that one wasn't as nasty as the Spain race. I thought I too was watching a GNCC from the begining of this year. :)

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I think paddle tires in AMA pro competition are now outlawed for some reason. But yeah that Henry SX race was cool!

For some people to comment that the Seville race wasn't racing makes me really sad. I respect and admire every racer that was out there and giving it their all and didn't give up or back out because of the crappy conditions. They really echo the true spirit of a racer to me. Anyone can ride on a smooth prepped track, but it takes a lot of courage and heart and hard work to ride on something like Seville. I will bet money that someone like MC wouldn't have even lined up on that gate. Congrats to everyone that tackled Seville :)

I don't know if they finished all of their laps, but I believe Stiles (9th), Oehloff (10th), Gibson (11th), and Thomas (15th) were all on 4-strokes.

Troy was impossible to run not only because the track was under several feet of water at spots, but so were the pits and pit roads making it impossible to move in the team rigs or anything else required to hold a National. Seville was just a bunch of muck - not standing lakes of water. Hasn't Europe ever heard of covered stadiums? :confused:

whitesands26

Mod Ban
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by kmccune
Why should they cancel it, a bunch of guys lined up and went as fast as they could. One guy went faster or lasted longer then the rest. Sounds like a race to me. Besides it was on dirt (or mud) and they rode on two wheels.

Kevin

Dude.....What do you think whoops and jumps are for? They couldn't even ride the track the way it was meant to be ridden...

It's always a mud race when a rider that's not considered a serious threat wins.
It's so slick that it wouldn't matter how much skill you had, just the luck of staying uprright.

That guy that won would be lucky to make a main event in a 250 supercross.

Top Bottom